Chapter 3 We Keep Getting Lost



Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translations and the translators keep alive. Thank you.

Part 13

    Despite my own determination, the speed of production remained as slow as ever.

    Tsurayuki’s situation was becoming particularly difficult. Originally, he had the disadvantage of writing an unfamiliar type of scenario, but this was beginning to take shape clearly in the middle of the project.

    "Hmm... Isn't the development here a little too stiff?"

    At the end of the common route, the flow around the future individual branches had a distinctly different and clearer tone compared to the beginning.

    "It's supposed to be a scene where everyone's trying to get the club going, and then the scene splits off to see who to get together with, but the scene before that is really long."

    Tsurayuki responded,

    "...Yeah, I know that too."

    He stopped typing on the keyboard for a moment,

    "I don't know, man. Who the protagonist chooses is a serious matter, isn't it? They all have been doing club activities for two years? So, if I don't write down those memories and recollections, won't the readers be confused as to what to base them on?"

    I really understand. I understand but... that's not necessary, Tsurayuki.

    The main selling point of this game is that it is a "professional-looking game for doujin". It will have high quality graphics, a full voice, and a "Minimalist Scenario".

    A dream game that everyone gathered together to create. That's exactly what I wanted to do. But this time, there were various conditions, the time frame was strictly set, and above all, we had to "sell safely".

    That is why it was important to complete the scenario as soon as possible. The official name of the scenario writer for this work is "TAKAO". Only a very limited number of people in the field know that it was written by Tsurayuki. So I don't want the content to be that masterful. I want work that can be passed on.

    "Don't worry, in this branch it's more common to choose based on the character's personality. And in that respect, our work is already done by the time we get here."

    As for characterization, I had made sure to have him well-prepared so far. Even the characters with strong moe appeal, which Tsurayuki was not good at, he was able to write them.

    "Hmm, but..."

    Tsurayuki was still unconvinced.

    Just when I was about to give a further reason.

    "Tsu-kun! Let's go home together today ~!"

    As usual, Sayuri-san opened the door vigorously and jumped in.

    "Sayuri-nee, now I am in a little important tal... Whoa."

    Sayuri pressed his face against her chest to cover Tsurayuki's mouth.

    "Ufufu, Tsu-kun looks a little tired, so onee-chan will spoil you today with all my heart ~"

    Yoshi Yoshi, when she stroked his head, Tsurayuki seemed unable to resist and dropped his hands.

    "Fufu ... Kyoya-san, can you do your business later?"

    Then she looked at me triumphantly.

    …… No matter how much it costs, if I don't say it properly soon, it's starting to affect Tsurayuki's work. The discussion we're having now should have been done two weeks ago.

    I might be disliked by two of them, but I need to be firm here...

    "Um..."

    Just as I was about to say it, Sayuri-san started talking first.

    "Nee, Tsu-kun"

    It was a tone of persuasion.

    "Your parents, father and mother, are very worried. So ―― "

    The moment that word came out, ah, ...I thought.

    Originally, Tsurayuki often spoke strongly and emotionally.

    No matter if it was a man, a woman, or anyone else, if he didn't like something, he would take it out on them.

    In particular, when he was told about his parents' family, especially his father with whom he had a feud, he became very agitated to the extent that it seemed abnormal even from the side. As far as I could tell, I had seen Tsurayuki get angry because of it on at least two occasions.

    So the topic was taboo in front of him. I had tried to avoid talking about it myself, except for the time he told me about it on the way home from the hospital. 

    So when Sayuri-san mentioned the topic ―― Instantly, I felt it was "dangerous."

    "My dad... won't say that."

    As expected, Tsurayuki did not yell at her out of the blue.

    But the reply was a complete change from the previous ones, and all emotion was abolished.

    "Well, that's not the case, I'm sure father wants to talk to Tsu-kun."

    "No, that's impossible"

    Tsurayuki smiled a little sadly.

    ...... This is when Tsurayuki’s emotions are at their coldest.

    When I was playing with all the guys in my class, someone started talking about dad.

    While everyone was talking about their own memories of their father, only Nukino laughed and said,

    "There is none, something like that."

    (It's the same. Just like that time)

    When Tsurayuki’s core emotions cool down, he starts to laugh affectionately instead.

    Now was exactly that time.

    "Tsu-kun..."

    At this point, Sayuri-san also seemed to sense something unusual.

    When she took her hand away from Tsurayuki, she looked a little like she was about to cry.

    A silent moment passed.

    It was about five minutes later.

    "... Sorry, Sayuri-nee..."

    Tsurayuki apologized in a faint voice.

    And he didn't say anything more.

    "Uun, I'm sorry"

    After a while, Sayuri-san also apologized in a small voice,

    "...I'm going to have to excuse myself today. I'm sorry."

    Then she left the place.

    There was a strange silence in Tsurayuki's room again.

    Only the sample game's cheerful everyday background music echoed endlessly in a low volume.

    "...I'm sorry, I can't even write in time like this."

    "No, it can't be helped."

    It's not the kind of thing that goes away quickly. I knew that, and that's why I had tried to avoid touching the matter so far.

    But it must have been hard for Tsurayuki to be in such an awkward situation with Sayuri-san, and of course, she didn't want to be in such an awkward situation.

    "For the time being, take a rest today. It's probably not the time to write."

    "No... but we’re late, on my part"

    "I want you to write a fun scene, but you can't do it with the way you feel right now."

    Smiling is a great way to relax,

    "I'll take care of the rest. Just get some rest."

    I said, and patted him on the shoulder.

    "...Kyoya is"

    Tsurayuki muttered with his posture as it was.

    "amazing, really. I respect you."

    "What are you saying"

    I laughed at Tsurayuki's joke.