23. Smile


Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translations and the translators keep alive. Thank you

 Today is the first day of Golden Week, the beginning of a series of holidays.
 But that doesn't matter to me this year. I have to help set up a study session.

 I have to get to school by 13:00.
 There was still time to spare, but I thought I should at least get ready.
 The phone on the desk in my room vibrated, announcing the receipt of a message.

 When I looked at the notification screen of my phone, thinking that it must be a newsletter for some website, my prediction was wrong.

 The sender was Touka.

 I looked at the contents, wondering if there was anything to talk about from yesterday.

"Please come to the rooftop"

 …… The content of the message was quite simple.
 It's too simple and painful to even have the information you need.

 For the time being, the place is probably on the roof of the school.
 The other thing is the time.
 If I don't know that, we can't talk about it.

"When should I go?"

 Thinking so, I also sent a message.
 And it was read immediately.
 All I had to do was wait for a reply… or so I thought but I didn't get a reply after about 10 minutes.
 It's hard to imagine that it would take a long time to reply.

 ...... Don't tell me she wants me to come now? 

 I'm a little dissatisfied, but I can't help it.
 I got up, got dressed, and left home.


 When I arrived at school, I headed straight to the rooftop.
 I opened the door to the rooftop, which was still unlocked.

 When I looked in front of me, I saw that Touka was already there, looking down at the schoolyard.
 She must have noticed the sound of the door opening, because she turned around and looked at me.
 She swept her gaze over me, looking somewhat uncomfortable, and then opened her mouth.

"...... Hello, senpai"

 Touka said, holding her skirt with her hand as it swept in the wind.

"Oh, what happened suddenly?"

 I slowly approached Touka and stood in front of her.

"Indeed, I'm sorry for calling you out of the blue without telling you what happened. I just called you up on the spur of the moment."

"That's all right, though. So, you wanted to do something, right?"

"...Unless there is a matter, am I not allowed to call you?"

 I silently responded to Touka's teasing comment.
 Then, after taking two deep breaths, she opened her mouth.

"Senpai! That... I'm really sorry yesterday."

 She said, then bowed her head.
 I was surprised at Touka's auspicious attitude, which I usually take for granted.

"……What's wrong?"

"No, I wanted to apologize to senpai for showing you my disgraceful behavior and for getting you involved in a messy situation. I wanted to properly apologize for both."

 Touka said, averting her gaze in embarrassment.

"...You don't have to worry about it."

"I do care! He was such a pain in the ass."

 Touka showed a resentful look.
 It was true that Kai might have been a troublesome person who assumed too much and didn't listen to what others had to say.

 As I was thinking back to Kai, Touka began to squirm as she looked at me in silence.

"What’s the matter?"

"Th-There is also another matter. Now I remember about it, somehow embarrassing.... t-the only person who said something like that.... senpai was the first, you know?"

 Touka's face turns bright red and she looks up at me.

"Yes, that's right.... It was the first time I'd ever had a true feeling like that, too. Sorry, I said something high and mighty. I just gave up right away, and my words aren't going to encourage you in any way."

"Sure, you're talking like a big shot! That's what I thought"

"...R-right."

 When she affirmed it quite straightforwardly, "Ah, I knew Touka thought that way too..." I reaffirmed and was a little embarrassed.

"But I was happy. I was really encouraged. I was really encouraged by the acknowledgment of senpai... and the fact that senpai was looking at me properly."

 Touka smiled at me with a shy smile and said so shyly.
 I was surprised by the words... I couldn't put them into words well.

"...I am serious, you know?"

 Did Touka take my silence as a sign that I didn't believe her?
 She said that while tilting her head and looking at my dissatisfied expression.

"Thank you for saying that."

 Touka replied to my words with a calm expression, "That's fine."

"And there's one more thing... it is something senpai said to me yesterday."

"I said a lot, but which one?"

"The kind of thing that says, “If there's something that I don't want to lose to my brother. You'll support and help me”."

 Touka asked me, her cheeks relaxed with happiness.

"Ah, that. Sure, I'll help."

 Touka smiled happily at my words.
 Then, she slowly spun her words.

"Well, I'll get right to it... I'm ready. I've got something that I don't want to lose to anyone, something that I can't compromise."

"Is that so. If you want, you can tell me what it's all about. I'll help you in any way I can."

 I was happy.
 I was happy that Touka had decided to challenge Ike again.
 And that she told me about it.

 But Touka gave him a mischievous look, then shook her head and made a cross mark with both arms on her chest before answering.

"No, I won't tell senpai! By the way, I don't even need your cooperation!"

"Ha~a? ... Ah, you mean you want to win against Ike on your own, without any help?"

 Touka's words were unexpected, but it made sense if I thought about it that way.
 However, Touka shook her head before answering.

"The one thing I don't want to lose to anyone is that there's no point in having senpai help me, or having you do it for me... Anyway, I have to do my best!"

 Touka looks straight into my eyes.
 Her cheeks are slightly flushed and red, as if she is excited.
 I was pushed by her power and stepped back.

"R-Right.... In any case, this time. I hope you can beat Ike."

"Yes!"

 If Touka is able to look forward to the future because of what I told her yesterday.
 I couldn't be more proud, I thought.

"Ah, by the way, there is one thing. I have a favor to ask senpai."

"Oh, what’s that?"

"Then, I won’t hold back."

 After taking one deep breath, Touka looked at me and opened her mouth.

"Until senpai dislikes this 'fake lover relationship'. Please continue this relationship with me."

 I was a little prepared for what she was going to ask me to do, but her words, which were too late, made me relax.

"What are you talking about now? You don't have to worry about it, it's going to last forever... I told you, I'm enjoying this relationship too."

 When I tell Touka to reassure her.
 ...... She had an overtly dissatisfied look on her face.

"... Ah, I'm sorry. Certainly, last forever is no, right."

 I reflect on myself and apologize to Touka.
 I'm sure she's not happy with me being her fake boyfriend all the time.
 She says she's not interested in romance right now, but I don't know what will happen a month or a year later.

 In other words, this relationship.
 It's just a relationship until Touka becomes more positive about love.
 When I think about it, I feel a little sad.

"Yes, I'm not going to be a fake lover forever... I absolutely do not want that!"

 That's what she said.
 She smiled, a smile that was even more attractive than the smiles she had shown in the past.