15. Library


Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu


"Let's go to the library, senpai!"

 

 One day after school.

 I was walking with Touka in the hallway when she suggested that we go to the library.

 

"Go ahead"

 

 I reply without pause.

 

"Yes! ...Not! I want senpai to go with me!"

 

"Why? What's the point of us going to the library together?"

 

 At my words, Touka smiled foolishly, then said,

 

"Is it okay, senpai? In this school, it seems that there are many people who study by themselves in the library after school."

 

"That's right"

 

"That's why! I have to appeal to those people that senpai and I are lovers."

 

 Hmph! Touka snorted and clenched her fists.

 

"...You won't do anything to interfere with those studying at, will you?"

 

"Of course, I won't do those pointless things! The important is that senpai and I are together in the library after school, and that we show it to the others!"

 

"...Let's go, then"

 

"Yes!"

 

 I thought it was okay to go with her.

 With such a sweet thought, I headed to the library with Touka.

 

 

"By the way, this is my first time to enter the library."

 

 Touka said as she remembered in front of the library door.

 

"I've rarely been here, either, come to think of it.... Oh, it looks like there's a lot of people inside. Keep it down."

 

 There were quite a few pairs of shoes lined up in the shoebox.

 Apparently, there were as many students using the library after school as the rumors said.

 

"I understand"

 

 She replied in a light tone and I stepped into the library with Touka.

 

 Looking around the room, I saw that many people were either reading or studying, concentrating on their work.

 It was a quiet space, but no one seemed to have noticed the noise we made as we opened the door and walked in.

 

 I look around and then check to see if there are any seats available.

 The only place where two people can sit side by side is...

 

 There was a space in a corner lined with desks.

 Touka and I move there.

 

 I pulled out a chair and tried to sit down, but I noticed that there was a package on it.

 I suppose I could have silently moved the luggage out of the way, but that might have been somewhat uncomfortable.

 

 I decided to call out to the boy sitting next to me, who was probably the owner of the luggage.

 

"Can I sit here?"

 

"Hmm, I'm sorry, I will take my bag now... To-To-To-To-To-Tomoki !? Kun !! But why are you here..."

 

 As soon as the boy said that, I saw that all the eyes in the library were on me.

 

"Eh, why is Tomoki!?"

 

"Seriously, this is no time to be studying!"

 

"Ugh, I am on a good point, but I can't concentrate on reading."

 

 One by one, these voices came from the room, and in no time, most of the students were gone from the library.

 

"Ah, ahaha! I had something to do today, too. Feel free to take a seat here. O-okay, bye!"

 

 The boy I called out to also hurriedly got up and walked out of the library.

 Touka, who had been watching the hurried scene, said,

 

"It became a private reserved. As expected from senpai, you're brilliant as usual!"

 

 She whistles and makes fun of me.

 

"...As always, it’s troublesome."

 

 I turned to the lending counter, and to my surprise, the book committee member was nowhere to be seen.

 It was a graceful abandonment of his duties.

 

"... Let's make today the only day I come to the library. We'll get in the way of anyone who's studying seriously."

 

 If I started to frequent the library, many students would not be able to use it even if they wanted to in the future.

 

"...You're so kind, senpai. "

 

 Touka muttered with a blank expression on her face, a complete change from her earlier appearance.

 

"Huh? What?"

 

"Nothing, I didn't do anything wrong, and neither did you. The other side got scared and left on their own.... Why don't you just leave those people alone."

 

 Touka said, not even hiding her annoyance.

 

"By any chance... are you encouraging me?"

 

"You’re wrong, with the people just now... to senpai. It just makes me pissed off."

 

 Tsun, said Touka with a sullen look.

 I somehow understand what this guy wants to say.

 

 ――I understand but.

 

"I don't think I'm qualified to say that, not even to try to clear up a misunderstanding."

 

"Hmm, is that so?"

 

 Touka replied emotionlessly to my words.

 An awkward silence flowed.

 

 Now, I'm trying to figure out what to do,

 

"Well then! since it's a private reserved, let's have a nice chat and get today's homework done?"

 

 Touka announced in a cheerful voice.

 The atmosphere was becoming heavy, so she must have been thinking of me.

 I immediately agreed with her statement.

 

"Since you're here, do you want me to teach you?"

 

"No, no, I don't need a delinquent like senpai to teach me."

 

"...If it's in the range of first-year, I can teach you normally."

 

"I don't need you to teach me! Because I... got the first place in the entrance exam!"

 

 Touka showed her smug face with all her might.

 

"Hee. The first place is amazing."

 

 I thought it was honestly amazing, so I just told her.

 

"...Well, I am a sister of that brother. This much is obvious."

 

 Then, the smug expression on her face changed.

 Touka muttered with a sullen expression on her face.

 

"Huh? What does being Ike's sister have to do with being able to study?"

 

 I asked,

 

"Eh?"

 

 She looked astonished.

 

"... Ah. Ike's always teaching you how to study, like that?"

 

 That makes sense.

 If Ike was tutoring me on a one-on-one basis, I would be able to improve my academic skills to the point where I would be ranked second in my grade on every regular test.

 

"...I've never had him teaching me."

 

 When Touka heard my words, she countered with a dark expression.

 Was she embarrassed by the honest admission that she was the best in the school?

 There was nothing to be embarrassed about, right.

 

"Then I guess Ike has nothing to do with it."

 

"Maybe, but..."

 

"The reason why Touka's grades are good is not because of Ike, but because you're studying hard, right. You don't need to be embarrassed."

 

 When I said that, Touka finally fell silent.

 

"...Eh, what?"

 

 At my words, Touka shook her head slowly and then said,

 

"It's nothing."

 

 She muttered quietly, then answered.

 

 Then there was a silent pause again.

 …… Normally, these awkward moments don't last very long because Touka will provide the topic of conversation.

 But now it's different.

 

 I wondered if I should offer something witty.

 But then I realized that I didn't have the communication skills to offer something witty, and I despaired.

 

"Ah, mou~! I feel like I've lost my touch today! I'm going home!"

 

 Touka suddenly shouted out, then tucked the notebooks and pens she had been unfolding into her bag and stood up.

 

"O-oh. I guess so."

 

 I stood up a little later than she did.

 After that, I left the library early.

 

 

 On the way home, we were both silents.

 Touka was silent, as if she was thinking about something.

 

 ... I'm sure I've offended Touka without even realizing it.

 But since I didn't know the cause, I didn't know what to apologize for.

 

 While I was puzzling over what to say to her, we arrived at the station.

 If we just got on the train, we wouldn't have anything to talk about until tomorrow.

 That didn't seem like a good idea.

 

 So I tried to call out to him, whatever it was.

 

"Well then, senpai --"

 

 

 see you tomorrow.

 

 

 Touka said this in parting and went to the other side of the platform.

 

 

 Her voice was so faint that I almost missed it.

 However, the expression on her face when she said that was... somehow like she was smiling happily.

 

 ......In the end, was Touka not angry?

 That was something that I, with my limited interpersonal experience, could not figure out.

 

 But still.

 It's the first time I've ever heard a girl say "See you tomorrow" with a smile.

 

 The thought of that makes me feel kind of happy... I guess I have a pretty simple personality.