16. Main Character?




Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu


 The next day at lunch break.

"Yuuji-senpa~i, let's have lunch together~!"

 It was Touka who opened the classroom door while saying that.
 I was relieved to see her as usual, thinking that she wasn't mad at me yesterday.

 When she called me, I got up and went to her side.

"Now~, let's go to the usual place~!"

 Touka says with a smile.
 I nodded my head and went to start walking...

"Do you have a minute?"

 A voice called out to me from behind.
 I turned around and there was Ike.

 Before I could reply,

"No. I mean, I told you not to talk to me at school."

 Touka said, with an annoyed expression on her face.

 I asked Ike, who was blatantly confused.

"What’s up?"

"Do you mind if we join you for lunch? I have a few things I'd like to talk to you about."

 Although Ike says with a gentle voice,

"Ha? I don't get it. No, it's really impossible."

 Touka answers immediately.
 ......Is this part of the "to make onii-chan jealous strategy"?
 Isn't you too aggressive for that?

"Hmm? ...We?"

 Ike's words caught my attention and I asked him.

"Yeah"

 A schoolgirl appeared from behind Ike, who nodded.

"It-it was me!"

 It was Hasaki Kana, a childhood friend of Ike, who softly bounced her chestnut brown short cut.

"...Why are you even coming Hasaki-senpai? I don't really get it."

 When Touka expresses her dissatisfaction, Hasaki replies.

"I-I'm just trying to make sure that you two are in a healthy relationship.... I will watch you two!"

"Yes? It has nothing to do with Hasaki-senpai, right? Why do you must watch us?"

 Touka cowered her shoulders in exasperation and said in a ridiculous manner.
 It was an exchange with a very different temperature.

"I-it has to do with me! I'm worried about Touka-chan! A-and also about To-To-To-Tomoki-kun!"

 Hasaki glances at me.
 When our eyes met, she hurriedly turned away.
 Perhaps she is wondering if I am not behaving insolently towards Touka.
 Touka said, a little irritated by Hasaki's words.

"Eeh~, I'm sure there's no reason for Hasaki-senpai to worry about me? Or rather, you are just annoying"

 At these words, Hasaki groaned and stepped back.
 Ike, for some reason, doesn't seem to want to follow up with Hasaki, and just watches silently.

 In that case, there would be no one on Hasaki's side.
 That was kind of depressing.

"Fine, I don't mind"

 I said to Ike and Hasaki.
 Then Hasaki muttered to me with an unexpected look on her face.

"Eeh, you really don’t mind...?"

 I nodded silently to the words.

 Hasaki muttered happily, "I did it!"

"That saves us"

 Ike said with a fresh smile on his face.

"W-wait, senpai!? Please don't decide on your own!"

 Touka protests to me without trying to hide her dissatisfied expression at all.

"You don't have to be so reluctant. Besides, it'll be less trouble later if you get Hasaki's approval now."

 When I said that, Hasaki had a shocked expression for some reason.
 Ike cowered his shoulders in dismay.

"...I understand, if senpai insists so much. Just for today, special."

"Thank you, Touka"

 When I thanked her, Touka turned away with a huff.
 Unfortunately, I seemed to have put her in a bit of a bad mood.



 And when I went to the courtyard, as usual, I felt more stares than usual.

 When I thought about it, I guess it was natural.

 The main character, Ike, is the one that everyone dreams of.
 Ike's younger sister, Touka, has excellent communication skills and a gorgeous appearance that attracts attention.
 Ike's childhood friend, Hasaki, is a tennis girl with the looks of an idol.

 And I'm the evilest person in the school (or so they think).

 ...... I felt so out of place.

"I-It's been a while since I had lunch with Touka-chan~. We used to be together all the time when we were in elementary school!"

"... I mean, it's been a while since we talked."

"Ahaha. That's right. But I've seen you around a lot, Touka-chan."

"Even though you saw me, you didn’t call me."

"Ahaha..."

 Apparently, Hasaki is quite disliked by Touka.
 I elbow Ike, does she think they are enemies?

 After laughing weakened, silence flowed.
 When Hasaki has a sad expression on her face,

"Ha-Haruma..."

 She quickly asked Ike for help.
 Ike let out a single sigh and then said,

"Kana's tennis skills have improved dramatically since middle school and she's been busy competing in tournaments. And since Touka was avoiding Kana, you couldn't talk to her much, right?"

 He said to Touka as if to admonish her.

"Haa? I'm not avoiding her. You're too self-conscious and too creepy.... I mean, I told you not to talk to me at school."

 Touka rejects Ike with all her might.
 Ike looks sad for a moment, but after noticing my gaze, he smiles vaguely, as if troubled.

 When I saw the look on their faces, I wanted to somehow make it up to them.
 …… But what should I do?

 As I was pondering in silence,

"A-Ano! To-Tomoki-kun!"

 In a high-pitched voice, Hasaki called out to me.

"Oh, what's wrong?"

 When I looked at Hasaki, she turned red and then averted her gaze.
 I'm sorry my face scared you, I'm not glaring at you. I apologize in my heart.

"A-are you two really dating!?"

 Hasaki asked me such a question.

 That's a very perceptive question.
 It's not like we're lovers.
 Maybe it was the fact that we were so close that it looked like we weren't dating.

"Yeah, we're dating"

"But... it doesn't look like that at all."

 My answer was met with skepticism from Hasaki.

"Ha~a? Are Hasaki-senpai's eyes holes in your eyes? I and Yuuji-senpai are super love love bacouple~*? Right, Yuuji Senpai ♡?" (*Baka Couple)

 Touka agitates with all her might.
 Hasaki's expression hardens. She must have been annoyed by what she just said.
 To be honest, I can understand why she would be annoyed too.

"Well then! Ki, ki, ki... kiss! You can at least kiss her right here and now, can't you!?"

 I wonder if it's just words for words?
 Hasaki got pissed off and said such a ridiculous thing to me and Touka.

 Even if we were really dating, there's no way we could do it.
 This is school...

"Ha~a? Why do I have to do that right here, right now? I don't understand?"

"B-because! You're a love-love bacouple, right!? So, you can kiss with being seen, right!?"

"...Are you serious? This is a school?"

"I'm serious! So, show me your seriousness!"

"Uge..."

 Touka was taken back by Hasaki's desperate look.

"Kana, calm down a bit"

"Don't interfere Haruma!"

 Ike's words didn't seem to reach the heated Hasaki.

 I was afraid that Hasaki wouldn't stop until Touka and I kissed.
 I was just plain worried.
 But apart from that, we're not in a relationship, we can't just kiss.

 Then, when I thought about what to do...
 I came up with the most brilliant excuse.

"Hasaki, I'm sorry, but I can't kiss Touka."

 At my words, Touka muttered "Ha~a?" angrily.
 Then Ike made a dubious expression, and finally Hasaki's expression brightened with happiness.

"I knew it! ...Are? What does that mean?"

 However, her joy was short-lived.
 Hasaki twisted her head curiously.

"There is no deep meaning, I'm not dating Touka with a light feeling."

 I replied,

"Eh?"
"Yes?"

 Hasaki and Touka muttered at the same time.

"That's why I'm dating Touka for real. I've held hands with her before, but I've never kissed her.... I want to take good care of Touka."

 Hasaki's mouth dropped open at the words.
 This is the most sincere answer I can think of.
 The only problem is that it's a lie and not sincere at all. That's about it.

 I'm sure she is ruminating on my words in her brain, but the question mark on Hasaki's face changed in an interesting way.

 …… For some reason, she finally turned pale.

 Does she hate the fact that I'm serious about Touka?
 That thought made me feel lightly hurt.

 On the other hand, Hasaki is.
 She looked pale and distraught, as if she was about to burst into tears.

"So-something like that... Uhhhh. Ha-Haruma is BAKA!!!"

 And with a loud shout, she ran off and was gone from the courtyard in a flash.

"Eeh, me..."

 Ike's words reached my ears as he muttered with an unconvinced expression after seeing off Hasaki's back.

"A-Ano. Aren't you ashamed of saying that yourself, senpai?"

 Touka, who is standing next to me, asks me that question with an upward glance.
 I often remember what I said...

"Uwa~a, that's so embarrassing..."

 What am I saying, am I being stupid?
 I was so embarrassed that I was sure I would be squirming tonight remembering before I went to bed.

 In response to my answer, Touka gave me a dumbfounded look and then said.

"...Ha~a. You are an idiot, aren't you, senpai. Your face is so red, you know?"

"Shut up"

 She muttered that after letting out one sigh, Touka's cheeks,

 She was blushing, just like me, who could barely say shy.