10. Lunch


Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu


 After purchasing a paper carton drink from a vending machine,

"The weather is fine today, so let's eat in the courtyard."

 Touka suggested.
 I nodded at her words. Then, the two of us moved side by side to the courtyard.

 In the courtyard during the lunch break, several pairs of boys and girls, probably lovers, had a fun lunch.

"Eh, why is Tomoki here?"
"Oi, this is bad, let's just move."

 …… But when they saw my face, they soon ran away.

"Whoa, the courtyard is reserved! As expected from senpai, chasing away a bunch of random people with a single glare!"

 Touka raises a voice of joy.

"I don't glare at them, I usually look like this."

"Yeah, I know ♡"

 Touka said teasingly.
 I'm surprised that I don't get angry when she says it so openly.

"Now, that the benches are empty, so let's sit down."

 With that said, Touka sat down on the bench in the nearest courtyard.
 I also sit next to her.

"My~ mixed sandwich! …… Eh !? Senpai, do you eat three breads !!?"

 Touka, who took out the mixed sandwich from the plastic bag she had in her hand, was surprised that there were still three pieces of bread left inside.

"I'm gonna eat it. Rather, Touka, Is that enough for you?"

"It's enough~! On days when there's physical education, you might want a little more, though."

 After saying that, Touka takes a bite of her sandwich.

"Hmm, something like that."

 I replied, and then took a bite of my yakisoba bread.

"... Ah! Maybe is ‘that’ what you were saying? Did you want me to make a bento ??"

 Suddenly, Touka turned to me and asked in a troubled manner.

"I don't mean that, but why did it become like that?"

" If the mixed sandwich isn't enough, why don't you just make bento? Ah, please make one for me too! You wanted to say that, didn't you?" 

 Touka's guess was so far out of line that I was speechless.

" No~, you're being too greedy, senpai? Isn't the happiness of being able to eat lunch with a beautiful girl like me enough?"

 Touka said with a composed face.
 Where does her confidence come from?

"Aah, that's a shame."

 It was a pain in the ass, so I neither denied nor affirmed, but decided to go along with it.
 Then, Touka was clearly in a better mood.

 Maybe she's the type of person who gets carried away when flattered.

 After that, we had lunch while chatting with each other.

"Even so ... it's quite annoying, isn't it?"

 Touka muttered as if she was tired.

"Well, it's certainly annoying."

 I also agree with Touka's words.
 That's because I'm worried about the stares of the students looking down at the courtyard from the window of the school building.
 It's not that they are overtly looking at me.
 However, I feel very stressed when I get a glance from many people repeatedly.

"Ah, it's annoying. Have they plenty of free time, those guys?"

 Touka spat out in disgust.

"It's unusual for them to see me with a pretty junior girl, isn't it?"

 When I said this, Touka's expression turned puzzled.

"... What's wrong?"

"No, I was just thinking that since senpai just naturally started hitting on me, there's no room for carelessness or leeway, you know?"

" I'm not hitting on you, I'm just saying that you're undoubtedly pretty on the outside."

" See, you're hitting on me!"

 Touka smiled happily and said, "Yaaa~n, senpai is so bold~ ♡”

 It was frustrating to see that smile and think that although she doesn't listen to people, has a bad mouth and attitude, and is black-hearted, she still looks unquestionably adorable on the outside.

"Even so, I feel not only curiosity but also bare hostility."

 Ignoring Touka, who continued to laugh hilariously, I muttered to myself, feeling uncomfortable with the stares directed at me.

"Hostility? Heh~, I don't know."

 With a puzzled expression, Touka said surprisingly.

"Maybe the guy who is in love with Touka is resenting me."

"If it's a guy who has the guts to pick a fight with senpai, I might be a little interested."

"Well, I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I see someone who looks promising."

 Touka said with a serious expression, and I shrug my shoulders.

"I don't think it's there. It's already been rumored that senpai is quite scary even among the first-year students."

 While drinking a paper carton of juice, Touka says something about it ...
 Seriously, less than a week after they entered the school, I wondered if the underclassmen are scared of me.

"...Are you depressed?"

"A little"

"... Is it really just a little?"

"It's true"

 Although I was somewhat depressed by the fact that I was being feared by underclassmen, that was actually something that happened all the time.
 It was more important to me that I had a kouhai like Touka who was not afraid to talk to me.

 I wasn't sure if she was satisfied with my answer, but she didn't tease me, just muttered, “Hmm”.

 After that, we continued our casual conversation, and in no time at all, the bell rang for the end of the lunch break.

"Ah, it's already time. Well then, let's meet after school~!"

"Meet after school? ... What will we do?"

 At those words, I asked back plainly.

"Of course we're going home together! Because I have to make a wide appeal to the people around me that senpai and I are lovers!"

"O, oh. That's right."

 I don't feel like a lover at all, so if you don't tell me again, I'm afraid I'll forget.
 Or rather, I forgot.

"Then, let's go back to the classroom."

"Yeah, sure."

 Touka stood up from the bench and I nodded too.

 As I walked next to Touka, I realized that this might be the first time someone other than Ike had asked me about my after-school plans, which made me somewhat happy.