Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Thank you for your support Saylesma, NetNN, La Fayette, Jeffery, That's Pretty Mint, Joshua Berry and Makalelo
Chapter 2 | Me and the Rain | Remake our Life!
Part 6
Around ten o’clock, Shinoaki headed out, and the two of us began cleaning.
The Shino family had a large storage room, and apparently, Jin-san had wanted to sort it out. So he and I put on work gloves and masks and set to work on the formidable task.
"Because it was convenient, we ended up stuffing anything we couldn’t find a place for in there. My wife and I organized it once after she passed away, but it’s been left untouched ever since."
Which meant it had probably gone untouched for nearly ten years.
"Understood. I'll help, knowing full well what's ahead."
"Haha, then I’ll be counting on that spirit of yours. Well then, let’s open it."
With that, Jin-san slowly pulled open the wooden double doors.
"Whoa!"
The moment he did, a cloud of dust billowed up all at once from inside. The dust that had piled up in the atelier had been pretty bad, but this was clearly on a different level.
"I’m sorry to have a guest doing something like this..."
Jin-san scratched his head apologetically.
According to what Shinoaki had told me, Jin-san was a true superman who could do just about anything. He was athletic, academically gifted, and, of course, an excellent cook. After his wife passed away, he had managed all the household chores by himself. The only things he was bad at were cleaning and organizing, so those tasks were usually handled by Shinoaki and Yuu-kun.
"I’m just not very good at throwing things away... My wife and Aki are a bit like that too, but I’m especially bad when it comes to it."
Judging from the state of her room, Shinoaki was the type who could clean but wasn’t very good at tidying things up. If Jin-san was even worse than that, I could imagine how difficult it must be.
"So...Ah, this looks like it will take quite some time."
After the dust had finally settled, I took another look inside the storage room.
Shelves taller than either of us stood along the left, right, and back walls, crammed full of all sorts of items.
The books that had originally been meant to go on those shelves had ended up piled on top of one another, forming heaps on the floor.
In other words, if we wanted to organize these shelves,
"The first thing we need to do is deal with these piles of books, right?"
At my words, Jin-san looked thoroughly apologetic,
"That’s right. I’m sorry about this."
He bowed his head slightly.
"Anyway, let's get started. Nothing’s going to change unless we actually get our hands moving."
For the time being, we carried all the books out of the storage room. In situations like this, it’s better to take everything out into an open space first rather than trying to sort through the mess inside. Once everything is out, you can organize it properly from there.
Since Jin-san’s room was close to the storage room, we first cleared some space there and began carrying in books and other flat items one after another.
"Uhm, excuse me, please be careful with your back."
When I offered that advice based on experience from the future,
"Y-Yes, you’re right. To be honest, I’ve got a ticking time bomb in my lower back myself."
That notorious back problem that seems to afflict practically every man of a certain age—Jin-san was no exception and apparently had one that required careful handling.
So I tried not to make him carry many things. Instead, I took on the role of transporting items back and forth while explaining how to sort them in the room so that we could divide the work between us.
The cleanup progressed relatively smoothly, and before long, Jin-san let out an impressed remark.
"That’s impressive. Did you use to work in a job like this, Hashiba-kun?"
"Yes, I worked on inventory management at a specialty bookstore... ah."
I had almost started talking about something from ten years in the future.
"A specialty bookstore, huh?"
"Ah, uhm, well, it was a part-time job. It dealt with books for enthusiasts, so there were a huge number of titles, and I learned quite a bit about organizing and sorting things."
Jin-san accepted the explanation with an “I see,” but that had been a close call.
In reality, when you work at one of those shops that cater to hardcore otaku, you end up dealing with mountains of inventory, so you naturally become fairly skilled at categorizing and organizing things.
The method we had been using—moving everything to a larger space first and then sorting it there—was also one of the techniques I had picked up during the summer and winter consignment seasons.
(It was rough back then, but looking back on it now, it was a valuable experience.)
There really is no such thing as a wasted experience in life.
"Well then, I’ll bring over the last pile."
With “Yoisho,” I heaved up the stack of thick sheets of paper, canvases, and similar materials that had been stored at the very back of the storage room.
(I wonder what these are. Shinoaki’s or Yuu-kun’s school projects, maybe.)
Despite their size, they weren’t particularly heavy, and I carried them into Jin-san’s room.
"Alright, that’s the last of it... ah."
It was a painting.
The moment I set the stack down, one of the thick sheets lying on top slipped loose, fluttered over, and landed face up on the floor.
It was painted in watercolor. The contrast between the brilliantly blue sky and a girl dressed in white was beautiful, and the painting’s vivid colors and expansive composition left a strong impression.
It was the first time I'd seen the painting, but I was certain I'd seen that style before.
"Is this... Aki-san’s painting?"
At my question, Jin-san smiled and shook his head.
"That’s what it looks like, isn’t it? But no, it isn’t."
"Eh? Then whose is it...? Ah."
As I spoke, I realized what a foolish question I had just asked.
"It’s exactly as you’ve guessed. This was painted by my wife."
"Aki-san's mother...I see."
The use of color, the composition, and above all, the expressions on the characters and the distinctive style that gave viewers a warm feeling—it was so similar that it was almost as if the style had been passed down directly.
"I think she painted this around the time Aki had just become old enough to remember things, when she started saying that she wanted to draw too. So I’m sure it left a strong impression on her."
"He~e..."
Now that he mentioned it, when I looked at it, I felt that this painting contained everything that was Shinoaki.
"Since we're here, would you like to take a look at some of the other paintings as well?"
"Yes, definitely."
When I answered, Jin-san brought over a large number of sketchbooks and canvases from another shelf.
There were oil paintings, acrylic paintings, and pencil drawings. Some were drawn on thick paper like Kent paper, while others were painted on fans, Japanese paper, and even glass.
The many paintings created with various techniques were all far from fitting into any ordinary mold, and were wonderful works that cherished a unique touch and atmosphere.
"She was a local artist, but she started attracting attention from people in Tokyo and Osaka as well. She even worked on advertising illustrations and wrapping paper for department stores."
While being capable of drawing any kind of picture, her works consistently displayed a high level of quality and appeal, and talks of holding exhibitions and publishing art collections had apparently already begun.
"I can't quite put it into words, but I really... like them. They're gentle."
It felt very similar to the impression I had when I first saw Shinoaki's paintings.
If I had to point out a difference, compared to Shinoaki's paintings, her mother's paintings felt as though they possessed strength at the same time as gentleness.
"They're gentle, beautiful paintings, aren't they? But my wife—Yuki—painted while literally wearing away her life."
His calm manner of speaking gradually shifted into a matter-of-fact tone.
Jin-san's eyes looked very much like Shinoaki's eyes when she spoke about her mother.
"She was never particularly strong physically to begin with, but after she started working, she was constantly falling ill. Still, I knew how passionate Yuki was about her art, so I never strongly tried to stop her."
Jin-san took the painting of the sky from my hands and gazed at it thoughtfully.
"But creating things requires a great deal of strength, both physically and mentally. By the time I came to understand that, Yuki was no longer in this world."
The painting in his hands was rolled up and secured with a rubber band.
"Aki watched that mother of hers from her side the whole time. Strangely enough, even though she should have been lonely after losing her mother, she too started drawing again almost immediately."
A memory resurfaced.
That night, when I first recognized Shinoaki as someone who drew. Completely absorbed, moving her pen without pause, as if nothing else existed in this world, she had simply continued drawing the picture before her. The Shinoaki of that day came back to me along with Jin-san's words.
"If she saw her mother's example, she should know what lies ahead. Even so, Aki kept drawing all this time, and now she's trying to make a career out of it."
"Yes, that's true."
As someone who had played a part in that, it was a painful thing to hear.
However, I couldn't help but listen.
"I myself want to support Aki as well, but I also understand Yuu's feelings very well. On one hand, I want Aki to draw to her heart's content, but on the other, I don't want her to end up like her mother."
Having said that much, Jin-san looked toward me.
"I've heard about you from Aki. Hashiba-kun, you're helping support Aki's work, aren't you?"
"Yes, that's right. I've been helping her out."
When I answered, Jin-san quietly bowed his head.
"I realize it may be inappropriate of me to ask something like this, but please, look after Aki."
"U-Uhm, please stop, don't do that."
When someone old enough to be my father bowed his head to me, it made me feel unbearably apologetic just from that alone.
But Jin-san did not raise his head.
"When that girl is focused on her art, she tends to forget both time and her physical condition. I'm sure that's how she is at university as well. So when that happens, could you at least say something to her?"
It was an earnest and heartfelt request.
I knew very well that when Shinoaki became absorbed in something, she would lose track of herself.
She devoted everything she had to drawing, to the point where I was surprised her body had held out as long as it did before she collapsed.
To be honest, just as when Shinoaki had asked me, I wanted to say that I was still thinking about it. I didn't feel capable of reaching a conclusion here and now.
But when I thought about Jin-san's and Yuu-kun's feelings, I,
"...Yes, I understand."
That was the only answer I could give.
"I'm sorry for asking something like this of you."
When Jin-san raised his head, he still wore a very lonely expression.
——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———
Part 7 Kanou-sensei POV
The malt bar in Nagahoribashi that only Horii-kun and I knew about. Since there was almost no chance of running into anyone we knew, it had become our forward base.
"Cheers!"
The glasses clinked together with a small sound, lacking much enthusiasm.
"Horii-kun, what's wrong? You seem down."
When I called out to my former classmate, who looked somewhat tired,
"That's not true. Kanou-san, you seem to have stopped seeing anyone other than me. What's wrong? Tired of relationships?"
I got a sharp retort.
Since I started working at this school, I have actually stopped seeing my friends from my student days.
A university is a carefree place when you're a student, but once you're actually on the inside, there are plenty of times when you're expected to conduct yourself properly as a member of an organization.
Meeting former friends while in that position makes it difficult to maintain a sense of balance. Many of them are extremely free-spirited, and quite a few are involved in anarchic activities. Some even openly display a rebellious attitude toward me.
"It's not like I'm representing the organization or anything."
I sighed, lightly clinking the glass containing a strong whisky and water.
"It can't be helped. In our year, you're the only one who succeeded in a sense. To the people who couldn't turn being an artist into a profession, you're bound to look irritating."
"Haha, and yet I'm completely isolated here."
When I shrugged my shoulders, the old friend sitting across from me made the same gesture.
"Listen to the associate professor talking. Oh, wait, you've become a junior professor now, haven't you?"
"They changed the title because it's not a position that assists a professor. I don't really care about those kinds of classifications, though."
Even so, this place was still quite comfortable. I heard all sorts of horrible stories from friends working at other universities. Some people talked about power struggles, but those kinds of things happen whenever two or more people gather together; universities aren't anything special in that regard.
After venting those complaints to Horii-kun, who worked for a regular company,
"You're absolutely right. In fact, we're just starting to run into that sort of troublesome situation ourselves."
"So it really does seem likely, that thing the president is planning."
"Yeah. Here, take a look at this."
I quickly skimmed through the several reports he handed me.
Before I had even reached the second page, anger and exasperation began welling up inside me.
"Is that person trying to kill someone again? If he puts this much obvious strain on the development team, someone is definitely going to end up as a casualty."
Horii-kun nodded vigorously as well,
"I guess it really bothered him that the managing director's faction succeeded with another business. But with the current profits from the software division, there's no budget to add more production lines. So——"
"He's going to shorten the development periods of the existing lines while increasing the number of titles in development, huh?"
Had that man really forgotten what happened ten years ago?
"This is something I definitely couldn't show to Kou-kun."
For once, Horii-kun wore a grim expression as he held his head in his hands.
"Yeah, this time there really will be bloodshed."
The cold look in Kou-kun's eyes that I had seen back then. Though knowing that father of his, he probably doesn't even know about it.
But neither Horii-kun nor I would ever forget it.
"Anyway,"
Horii-kun let out a long sigh.
"In the current situation, splitting up the development department's production lines isn't realistic. On the other hand, we can't hire new graduates or mid-career recruits either. So the only option is to send in 'child soldiers.'"
"Don't tell me."
"Mm, I think Kou-kun will be given a much more important position."
Without thinking, I looked up toward the ceiling.
It didn't seem realistic. This wasn't the early days of the game industry or the dawn of the bishoujo game era. Did they really think they could become a respectable company by throwing a part-time worker onto the front lines?
They would surely be delighted at being singled out and throw themselves into the work. But regardless of whether the results turned out well or badly, the company would not protect their pride as creators, nor, above all, their physical and mental well-being.
I can say this with certainty: they would be left to fend for themselves.
"But I know that leaving things as they are won't be good for Kou-kun. That's why I'm thinking of assigning Hashiba-kun as his assistant."
"So that's why you talked to me"
“Mm,” after nodding, Horii-kun let out a sigh that seemed apologetic.
"You are going to explain it to him, right?"
"Of course. That's why I told you about it first like this. But I also think it's an opportunity for Hashiba-kun. Including the possibility of a full-time position."
At that, Horii-kun drained his glass in one go.
"Kou-kun is lonely. Ever since then, he's kept his distance from us as well. But he trusts Hashiba-kun, and there's mutual respect between them. I want Hashiba-kun to act as a stopper so that he doesn't spiral out of control."
This time, it was my turn to sigh.
"Hashiba is currently struggling over what lies ahead for his classmates."
"I heard a little about it. Whether he should go easy on them or send them into hell, right?"
"Yes. But that boy... I think he's already reached an answer. No, considering everything that's happened up to now, I think there was never really any choice to begin with."
That's right. The current Hashiba would probably hesitate a little, but there could only be one conclusion.
But that conclusion would surely, for Kou-kun...
"...I see. It could end up driving Kou-kun into despair instead."
At Horii-kun's words, I silently nodded and quietly raised my glass.
The liquor shining in the glass was something fairly expensive. But in terms of taste, the drinks we used to share noisily with everyone back when we were students had been many times better.
We would slap each other on the shoulder and talk nonsense, wander around outside while carried away by the alcohol, burst into laughter at something someone said or did until it felt like we might die from laughing, and then collapse and fall asleep. How delicious that cheap shochu had tasted when we drank it like that.
The alcohol I now drank as fuel to get my tongue moving under the weight of obligations, and my sluggish body into motion, was nothing but bitter, melting my heart into sludge inside my stomach. If someone asked why I didn't just stop drinking, I would bluff and say that nothing could begin without it.
The older we get, the worse we become at enjoying alcohol.
"We've turned into pretty lousy adults, haven't we?"
"Yeah. That's exactly why I want to do everything I can to stop them from becoming lousy adults like us."
Horii-kun's words sank into me more deeply than any alcohol ever could.
What do you think creativity is, Hashiba?
——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———
Part 8
We finished cleaning up the storage room by evening.
Less than an hour later, Shinoaki and Yuu-kun returned, and the four of us ended up having dinner together again.
"Since we didn't get to eat them yesterday, how about making something with oysters?"
Jin-san suggested it, and Shinoaki seemed pleased as well.
Not wanting to sit around doing nothing, I helped with some of the meal preparations in the kitchen while watching Shinoaki and Yuu-kun out of the corner of my eye.
Shinoaki didn't seem any different than usual. She was watching a local television program and occasionally appeared to laugh as she enjoyed it.
But Yuu-kun never laughed, even while watching it with her. Maybe he was always like that, but his words from yesterday were still lingering in my mind.
(He's probably got something on his mind.)
I was a little anxious about what Yuu-kun might say, but at the dinner table, he remained just as quiet as he had been the day before, and the meal passed peacefully enough.
That said, I certainly wasn't feeling at ease inside.
(All three of them are carrying around their own feelings.)
They all cared deeply about one another, and yet what they were thinking kept missing each other.
And in the middle of it all, I was the only one flustered and unable to do anything.
Unable to make up my mind, unable even to focus on being considerate of them.
(What am I supposed to do from here on?)
Even though it had been another very delicious dinner, just like yesterday's, I realized after finishing it that I could barely remember what it had tasted like. My mind had been so full of other things that there hadn't been any room left to simply enjoy the meal.
Tomorrow, I will be on the Shinkansen by noon. On the way back, I had been thinking that I would continue that conversation with Shinoaki from before.
But I still couldn't come to a conclusion. Even as I soaked in the bath and turned things over in my mind, no answer came to me.
(It can't be helped. I'll just go to sleep.)
Having given up on the idea of talking with Yuu-kun again, I got out of the bath and returned to the Japanese-style room. Just as I opened the sliding door,
"Areh...?"
I noticed a note with a time and place written on it resting on top of my futon.
——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———
Part 9
A short distance from Shinoaki's house stood a small local shrine called Sannomiya Shrine.
I had noticed it on the way to the house and brought it up with Shinoaki. She told me that it was a familiar place for the locals, where things like the town's summer festival and sumo tournaments were held.
When I went there at the designated time, Yuu-kun was there, just as I had expected.
When he saw me, he seemed faintly surprised, as if to say, “So you actually came.”
But that never developed into a greeting or anything of the sort. He simply continued to look at me with the same tense gaze as before.
"Uhm, so... what is this about?"
Nothing was going to happen if we just stood there in silence, so I decided to speak first. I already knew what he was probably going to say. Without a doubt, it would be about Shinoaki.
"Is it true that you're the one looking after the illustration work nee-san is doing?"
Strictly speaking, that wasn't exactly right, but in broad terms, what he said was true.
"Mm, that's right. Things like schedules and project details, that sort of..."
Just as I was about to go into details, he suddenly interrupted.
"Please stop it."
"Eh?"
"I want you to stop her doing that. Nee-san... she shouldn't be doing illustration work. She shouldn't be doing it at all."
Spitting out the words, Yuu-kun glared at me.
"Do you know about my mother? She drew pictures, and it ruined her health and killed her. Do you want nee-san to end up the same way?"
His words came one after another in a sudden rush. Although I had heard about it beforehand, being confronted so abruptly with such harsh words left me shaken as well.
"Wait a second, calm down, Yuu-kun."
"How am I supposed to stay calm?"
His voice echoed through the quiet shrine grounds.
I instinctively fell silent, and for a moment, silence enveloped the area.
The two of us ended up staring at each other in surprise. Yuu-kun himself seemed unsettled by his own words, as though he hadn't intended to raise his voice that much.
"...Sorry for raising my voice. But..."
Yuu-kun clenched his fist tightly and desperately continued.
"When I heard that nee-san was going to an art university, I asked her over and over. You're not going there to draw, right? You're going so you can work in video production, right? But every time she came home, all she talked about was drawing. I kept thinking she was becoming just like Mom. And then..."
Given his age, it was only natural for him to speak out of emotion. Especially when the death of a family member was involved. He had probably acted desperately, doing what he thought he had to do.
"Can I tell you my side of the story?"
Yuu-kun quietly replied, "Yes."
"I support Aki-san's drawing. That's true. If you're blaming me for that, then I really have no excuse."
Silently, he nodded.
"But drawing itself is something she chose for herself. So if you're hoping that I'll stop Aki-san, then that's impossible."
I knew it was a bit of a cheap move, but I decided to strike first.
Because I had a feeling that was exactly what he wanted from me.
But he shook his head,
"I know. And I know nee-san wouldn't stop drawing even if someone told her to. If she had listened to that, then long ago..."
Yuu-kun looked down, sighing heavily, as if it were difficult for him to speak.
Then he looked at me once more,
"But nee-san trusts you, and she talks about you a lot. And when it comes to drawing, I think she'll listen to you far more than she'll listen to me."
His words were earnest and straightforward.
"Please. I'm not asking you to tell her to stop. I just want you to look out for her health. I think it would make a difference if someone in your position told her that, so..."
With the words “Please,” Yuu-kun bowed his head deeply.
"Hold on, it's not like I've done anything deserving of that."
As I said it, I realized how utterly cowardly I was.
Far from having done nothing, it was I—this supposedly “innocent” me—who had praised Shinoaki's art, planned opportunities that would lead to work, introduced her to Kuroda, and set her down the path of becoming an illustrator. How could I say something like that without a trace of shame?
Yuu-kun's words and actions, born purely from concern for his big sister and love for his family, struck deeply at my tainted heart. He was so different from me that it almost made me want to run away.
There was no way someone like me could refuse even this modest request.
"Okay. I'll make sure to talk to Aki-san, so please raise your head. Please."
"Really...?"
When Yuu-kun lifted his head, it looked as though his eyes were slightly teary.
The cowardly me could only answer, “Mm,” and turn my face away from him. To be honest, I couldn't bring myself to look him in the eye.
Within the grounds of the small shrine spread a small grove of trees, something entirely out of place amid the surrounding residential area.
Between the thickly growing branches and leaves, the stars and the moon appeared and disappeared from view. I didn't know why Yuu-kun had chosen this place, but surely both he and Shinoaki had spent time here.
And yet, that close brother and sister had been made to feel such sadness because of my involvement. Even if it wasn't something direct, that guilt would probably never disappear.
The beautiful moon and his words of thanks echoed hollowly within me.
——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———
Part 10
"I wish you could have stayed a little longer."
"No, we've got work and school, and I'll come back again when I have a break."
The next morning, we decided to leave Shinoaki's family home a little earlier than planned.
Officially, it was because we wanted time to buy souvenirs and still had various things to do after arriving in Osaka.
To be honest, though, I was starting to find it a little difficult to stay there. Needless to say, my conversations with Jin-san and the promise I had made to Yuu-kun were weighing on me.
"Thank you very much for everything. We'll send you some delicious things from Nara next time."
As a matter of basic courtesy, I had brought souvenirs from Osaka, but Shinoaki's family had taken such good care of me that it hardly felt enough in return.
"No, not at all. And Hashiba-san, uhm..."
Jin-san wore the same gentle expression he had when we first arrived,
"Please take care of Aki."
With those words, he bowed his head to me once again.
Beside him, Yuu-kun was bowing in exactly the same way.
"...Yes, I understand."
As I bowed my head in return, Shinoaki let out a small laugh,
"You two are acting like you're sending me off somewhere far away~."
She said that and laughed cheerfully.
The road to the station wasn't very far, so we decided to walk there.
As she pointed out places along the way, “This is the road I used to take to elementary school; this is the vacant lot where I used to play with my friends” we made our way toward Hatae Station.
Just as we were getting close to the station, Shinoaki suddenly said,
"Kyoya-kun, what were you and Yuu-kun talking about yesterday?"
For a moment, I almost found myself at a loss for words.
"Mm, he asked me to take care of you, Shinoaki."
Since I couldn't very well tell her all the details, I gave an answer that wasn't exactly a lie.
"...I see."
That was all Shinoaki said in response.
We crossed the footbridge leading to the platform and waited for the train bound for Fukuoka Airport.
Since we had left the house according to the timetable, the train arrived not long after we reached the station. From here, it would take us directly to the airport.
There were only a few passengers in the car. We had deliberately aimed for a time just after the morning commute, so we were able to sit comfortably.
Sitting side by side, we both let out a quiet sigh.
The train slowly began to move. One station passed, then another. Around the time we passed a station called Imajuku, Shinoaki spoke up.
"Kyoya-kun, thanks for coming with me."
“No, it's nothing,” I replied, and then,
"You have a wonderful family."
"Yeah... I love all three of them."
At the words all three of them, something prickled in the back of my mind.
The memory of that studio came back vividly—the one that had felt like a distant world, filled with sparkling light.
"You know, I've thought about why I love drawing so much, and why I can stay focused for so long whenever I'm drawing."
Shinoaki began speaking quietly.
"I think it's because I spent so much time watching my mother draw. I always wanted to become like her."
She opened and closed her right hand. Perhaps she was looking at her own hand. Or perhaps she was trying to remember her mother's.
"So I think that when I'm drawing, I'm becoming my mother. Even though she's gone, when I'm drawing, I feel like she's with me."
“Fufu”, a sound that was somewhere between a laugh and a sigh escaped Shinoaki's lips.
"So I felt bad for Yuu-kun and Dad, but I just couldn't stop drawing after all. I know it's selfish, but that's who I am."
There was a time when I had compared Shinoaki to a monster.
This girl was incredible. She created things unlike anyone else and did things unlike anyone else.
But beings like that carried a fragility equal to their greatness. Kuroda had pointed it out, and I had vaguely realized it myself.
By coming to Fukuoka, I had finally come to understand that fragility.
It wasn't simply that she loved drawing. She was trying to fill the missing piece of her family by drawing.
However, to the people she cares about most, she appears fragile.
That made me unbearably sad.
"Shinoaki"
I murmured.
I don't think I was really calling out to her.
"Like we talked about before, maybe we should try cutting back on work a little."
"Kyoya-kun..."
Shinoaki looked at me with a slightly surprised expression.
"Mm. Things like the amount of time you spend on projects, and the workload itself. Let's keep it within a range where you're not overexerting yourself and make what you're doing into a proper job. Then..."
Then she would...
"I think you'd be able to show your family properly that you're making a living from your art, Shinoaki."
"............"
Shinoaki remained silent.
"It might be difficult because it's different from how you've done things up until now. But I think this was a good opportunity. So let's start changing things little by little."
I told her what I was thinking.
The thought of her continuing to live as a monster was simply too sad.
I remembered Yuu-kun's words.
[I'm not asking you to make her stop. I just want you to look out for her health.]
That's right. No one had told her to stop drawing. All we had to do was make sure Shinoaki could work with a healthy balance and enough room to breathe.
As a producer, as someone watching over her, that was only natural. I had lost sight of that simple truth.
Throughout this trip to Fukuoka, I had been wondering what I had come here for, and now, I felt like I finally understood.
I had come here to be entrusted with something. I had come on this trip to be entrusted with changing Shinoaki, so that I could cherish the person that was Shino Aki.
Now, I thought that her showing me her mother's studio had probably been a sign of that. And that telling me about her family and the things she had concealed had also been her way of asking me for help.
She opened her mouth.
"I see...Thank you."
The face Shinoaki turned toward me.
"Since it's something Kyoya-kun said, I'll give it a try."
It was the same gentle smile she always wore.
"Alright. Then, once we get back, let's first get a proper grasp of how much work is still left. After that, we'll make a schedule, set working hours, and..."
Creative work involves creating something different from others, so it’s only natural that it involves pushing oneself to the limit. Unless you’ve made it through that, you can’t move people.
I still hold that belief today. But if you keep pushing yourself too hard, you’ll burn out.
Only now do I feel like I understand what Matsuhira-san was saying. Once someone has broken down, it's too late. That's why it's my job to think about it beforehand.
Until we reached the airport, we talked a lot. Most of it was me talking.
It might not be possible right away, but in order to create the best possible place for Shinoaki to settle, I'll use all the strength I have.
The train arrived at Fukuoka Airport Station. Carrying our luggage, we got off the train, and I suddenly turned back to look at the train we had ridden.
——This is alright, isn't it, Jin-san, Yuu-kun?

0 Comments
Post a Comment