Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you~
Thank you for your support Saylesma, NetNN, La Fayette, Jeffery, That's Pretty Mint, Joshua Berry and Makalelo

Chapter 1 | Correct City | Remake our Life!


Part 6

"I’ll call you when dinner is ready."

Jin-san had told me that earlier when I entered the room. I had assumed we’d be eating out, so it came as a bit of a surprise. I’d even brought extra money just in case, thinking about meal expenses.

"Look forward to it, okay~."

Shinoaki said the same before heading back to her room.

(Maybe they don’t eat out much?)

I wondered about that, but about thirty minutes later, I was called and headed to the dining room.

When I opened the door directly in front of the entrance, there was already someone sitting at the four-person table.

He was a boy who looked to be around high school age. I knew who he was without needing any explanation from Shinoaki.

(So this is Yuu-kun...)

He sat with his head slightly bowed, and he looked very much like Shinoaki. He looked like what she might have looked like if she had cut her hair even shorter.

With well-defined features and an androgynous air about him, he didn’t seem very tall either; he had the kind of presence that people of any gender would probably find likable.

"Good evening, nice to meet you."

I tried greeting him lightly, but he only gave a small nod in return, without saying anything.

(Right, she did mention he’s shy around strangers.)

I didn’t feel like pressing him further, so I just took my seat as well.

A brief silence followed. I couldn’t tell what he was thinking, but I got the sense that he didn’t seem particularly fond of me.

(This is awkward...)

Just as I was hoping either Shinoaki or Jin-san would come soon to break the tension,

"Sorry to keep you waiting~"

As if she’d heard my thoughts, Shinoaki opened the door and walked in.

"Ah, Yuu-kun, go help Dad."

When she called out to him, Yuu-kun nodded and stood up from his seat.

He still didn’t say anything, but he seemed obedient when it came to his older sister.

After he left the room, Shinoaki turned to me and asked,

"Did you talk with Yuu-kun about anything?"

For a moment, I wondered how to answer, but then said,

"Mm, just a quick greeting."

I decided not to make her worry unnecessarily and let it slide.

"He’s not very good at talking, so sorry about that."

It seemed she had been concerned about it, too.

Before long, Yuu-kun returned with Jin-san. In their hands were large plates filled with lavish dishes, and a mouthwatering aroma drifted from them.

"Eh~, this is amazing..."

Dish after dish was set on the table. They were clearly beyond the level of ordinary home cooking.

There was something like beef stewed in wine, a colorful and beautifully arranged salad, freshly baked bread, and a warm orange-colored potage soup; everything looked like it had been made by a professional.

Before I could even ask why,

"My dad’s a cook."

Shinoaki said, giving a perfectly fitting explanation, that made complete sense.

"Since it’s a special occasion, I got a bit carried away today. Come on, let’s eat."

Jin-san took off his apron and sat down with Yuu-kun, and we all began the meal together.

With how good everything looked, there was no way it could taste bad, not even a one-in-a-hundred chance, and sure enough, every dish on the table was delicious.

"It's really delicious."

When I said that to Jin-san,

"I’m glad to hear that. Does it suit your taste?"

He replied, clearly pleased.

"As expected, Dad’s cooking is the best~."

Shinoaki was beaming as she enjoyed the meal.

"It’s kind of... on a completely different level. I’m really surprised."

I cook from time to time myself, but whether it was the seasoning or the presentation, the fine details were on a whole different level. Of course, that’s only natural; he’s a professional, after all.

While I was thinking that I should try to pick up some techniques from the food, savoring each bite,

"I'd like to ask you something, Hashiba-san..."

Suddenly, the person in question spoke to me.

"Ah, yes, what is it?"

Jin-san looked a little hesitant as he continued,

"Uhm, does Aki... cook over there?"

At that moment, Shinoaki’s movements froze.

"Sh-she cooks, well, not really much, s-she doesn’t—hii...!"

At that instant, Shinoaki turned a sharp gaze I'd never seen before towards me. She had a look on her face that said “don’t say anything unnecessary!”

I-I had no choice but to go along with it.

"Y-yeah, she does. Quite a bit of stuff, actually. Ahaha."

"I see, is there anything like a specialty dish?"

"A-a specialty dish... well, that is..."

The first thing that came to mind was ramen. But it was just the kind you make by boiling water and pouring it over instant noodles. And even something that simple, she tended to mess up fairly often.

In the corner of my vision, Shinoaki was making a face like, “Uwh...” But I’d never actually seen her cook anything properly myself, so I was stuck.

As I struggled to answer, Jin-san let out a small sigh,

"I see, I think I understand...Aki."

"Y-yes."

"I’m not saying you need to be able to cook everything, but you should at least be able to handle the basics so you don’t run into trouble when it matters."

"...Yes"

To my surprise, Shinoaki nodded at Jin's words much more readily than I'd expected. It seemed she really needed to break free from her life of only making instant ramen.

(It’s kind of fresh seeing Shinoaki like this)

She wasn’t an unruly kid to begin with, but seeing her get a little dejected after being lectured like this was a somewhat amusing sight.

"Then, Dad, teach me cooking while I’m here~."

"I’ve taught you plenty of times, haven’t I? Aki always ends up doing things her own way."

Shinoaki puffed her cheeks slightly, while Jin-san smiled gently. It was a heartwarming exchange, and even I, who had nothing to do with it, couldn’t help but smile.

(Still... he’s a calm person.)

I looked at Jin-san again.

His hair, with a few strands of gray mixed in, was neatly tied back. An all-back style. Probably because he worked as a chef, but there was a clean, composed, almost dignified air about him overall.

However, his facial features were gentle and soft. He didn’t particularly resemble Shinoaki, but there was a certain warmth about him that made me think she might have inherited that from her father.

He seemed like the kind of person who had probably never once raised his voice in anger.

(In contrast to that, huh)

While the three of us were laughing and chatting, I casually glanced at Yuu-kun.

"............"

(...Eh?)

It might have just been my imagination for a moment, but I felt like he had clearly directed an unfriendly gaze toward me.

He quickly lowered his eyes again, but considering we hadn’t even really managed to talk properly yet, it was unfortunately quite possible that he didn’t have a favorable impression of me.

(I haven't said anything yet that would make him feel bad about me.)

One possible reason is that he's wary of me, an outsider, entering the family. Basically, he wants me to stay out of the way.

(Ah, could it be)

A slightly strange thought crossed my mind.

Given his somewhat negative attitude toward an outsider, and how obedient he is to Shinoaki, maybe,

(Is he thinking, “Don’t take my big sister away”...?)

It was a plausible thought. After all, an unknown man suddenly showing up with his older sister at their family home, whatever the reason, if he took it at face value, I would definitely come across as an unwelcome presence.

In a sense, I might even be seen as someone who could potentially become part of the family in the future.

(No, no, no, that’s jumping way too far ahead... right?)

That was what I thought—but from his perspective, he might instead be thinking, “If not that, then what else could it be?” All the circumstantial evidence, unfortunately, was working against me.

Well, my arrival here had been sudden in the first place. And considering that I was probably brought in without Yuu-kun’s consent, more like a decided fact announced to him, his current attitude of firmly refusing to accept me was, in a way, understandable.

"My little brother is very responsible"

I suddenly remembered Shinoaki saying that before.

If his sense of duty to protect the home and their everyday life was what led to this attitude, then I started to feel a bit sorry for him.

(I wonder if I’ll even be able to talk properly with him while I’m staying here)

Despite the delicious food in front of me, the dinner carried a slightly heavy mood for me.

——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———

Part 7

Right after Nanako and I signed our “Agreement to Vent About Work,” the question of when to do it came up.

When it comes to things like this, both Nanako and I are the type to act on a whim. We headed straight to the convenience store and stocked up on supplies.

"I bought canned chuhai, juice, snacks, and I've turned off my phone, so there won't be any more interruptions. So, Nanako, are you ready?"

"Okay! Then let’s start our drink-and-complain session!"

"Alright, cheers!!"

Clink! The cans hit each other with a crisp sound, like a gong, signaling the start of the complaint session we had just agreed on.

"So, you know when there’s a song you think you sang really, really well? Like, ‘That was amazing, the best!’ right?"

"Ah yeah, that kind of perfect, nailed-it performance, you do get those."

"I get super excited, thinking, ‘This is my masterpiece!’ and upload it to Nico Nico with a big smile, but those are the ones that barely get any views, and the reactions are all sparse."

Haaa, she let out a long, deep sigh.

"And then it’s the opposite, right? The one where you’re like, ‘Was this really that good?’ ends up getting tons of praise and gets called your signature work?"

"That’s exactly it, exactly! I mean, I’m really happy people enjoy listening to it, I am! But… if that one’s good, then this one too! is how I end up feeling..."

"I get it~"

Watching Nanako sulk, I took a swig of my canned chuhai. By the way, Nanako is so bad with alcohol it’s almost funny, so today she’s sticking with juice.

To begin with, I’m not really a fan of drinking gatherings that are just about complaining. I tend to snap back to my usual self and think it’s better to focus on solutions instead.

But listening to someone like Nanako—another creator, and in a completely different field—makes my own worries feel a bit lighter.

(Well, still nowhere near solving them, though)

Just putting it into words makes me feel a little better. It’s definitely better than staying stuck in a gloomy slump, so having sessions like this to unwind is totally worthwhile.

"So, what about you, Tsurayuki? Got anything to say?"

"Well, I’ve got tons."

I took another sip of my chuhai and continued,

"I’m just really bad at writing plots to begin with. I’m not good at setting things up properly in advance and then writing along those lines. So unless I somehow overcome this weakness, I’m going to keep going through hell every time I have to make a plot..."

Haa, I let out a big sigh.

"But you know~ if it were that easy to fix your weaknesses, nobody would struggle."

I understand better than anyone that this is a major sticking point for me.

That’s why I’ve bought and read a bunch of books on how to structure plots and organize your thoughts. I even branched out into business books, thinking maybe it was just a different kind of mindset than writing novels, and tried studying those, too.

But so far, I haven’t seen any real results.

"Hmm~, that's the tough part, isn't it? When your weaknesses become so clear."

"Exactly. I've come this far, and now this? My worries never end."

Nanako nodded along,

"For me too... like with the view counts I was talking about earlier, I could probably fix it if I thought more carefully at the song selection stage or started putting out original songs. But I’ve always relied on other people for that kind of thing."

"That’s it. Same here, I’ve always had someone who was good at organizing and putting things together, so I never seriously worked on it myself."

Somehow, the conversation naturally drifted in that direction.

At almost the exact same time, we both thought of that person.

"Well, we can’t rely too much on others, so it’s about becoming independent, I guess."

"Sounds nice and all, but if you can’t actually do it, it doesn’t mean much."

The two of us let out another big sigh.

It still feels like we’re lacking a lot if we’re going to be able to create things completely without relying on him.

"But, you know."

Nanako suddenly opened her mouth.

"Tsurayuki, when it really comes down to it, you do have this way of pushing yourself and pulling through."

That surprised me. If anything, I thought I was the type to falter in those moments.

"No way. Even when we made that game, I ended up running away. If Kyoya and you hadn’t come to drag me back, I’d probably still be rotting away in Kawagoe."

"But Kyoya only gave you a push back then, right? I think he stopped there because he believed you could do it on your own."

Is that how it was...? From my perspective, it felt like he pulled me along pretty forcefully, but at least that’s not how it looked to Nanako.

"So this time too, if you push yourself just a little more, I feel like you’ll manage to pull it off in the end. It's annoying, though."

Setting aside that last remark, that’s how she sees me, huh.

"...I see. Then maybe I’m not pushed to my limit yet."

I looked at my reflection in the can of chuhai I was holding up.

Right after I got back to Kawagoe, I looked awful. I was thin, lifeless—it would’ve been more accurate to say I was just being kept alive.

But thanks to Kyoya, I regained my energy all at once. I was able to take bold action, and even face my dad.

I’d always thought it was all thanks to Kyoya, but maybe... just maybe, when it comes to the courage it took to take that step forward, it’s okay to believe in myself for that part.

(I wonder, what do I really think?)

The face reflected in the can looked far more dependable than it used to.

——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———

Part 8

The next day, we ended up heading out in the morning.

Since Jin-san and Yuu-kun both had the day off, they offered to drive us around the area. I didn’t know Fukuoka at all myself, so it was a big help.

We got into a slightly older four-seater Mini Cooper, and right after we set off, Shinoaki spoke up in disappointment.

"Eh, the oyster huts aren’t open right now?"

"Did going to Kansai make you forget when oyster season is? Itoshima oysters start from the end of October."

Jin-san replied with a laugh as he gripped the steering wheel.

Come to think of it, oyster season is often said to be during the months that have an “R” in their English names. Right now, it was still barely summer break—August—so no “R” in “August.” It wouldn’t start until next month, September.

"I see...Kyoya-kun, I'm sorry."

"It’s fine, really—don’t worry about it."

It's a little disappointing, but there's nothing we can do about it.

"There’s a place up ahead that serves oyster dishes year-round, so why don’t we go there?"

Jin-san said that considerately.

The car glided smoothly along the coastline. Maebaru City, where Shinoaki’s family home was, sat at the center of the Itoshima area and covered most of the peninsula.

It’s blessed with abundant seafood resources—besides the oysters we’d been talking about, it’s also apparently known for local sake and strawberries.

...Or rather, that’s everything Jin-san had been telling us along the way.

"They’re currently talking about merging the municipalities, you know. There’s a plan to combine everything around here into Itoshima City."

But because of various concerns about what would happen after the merger, the discussions still hadn’t been finalized. Since Maebaru City would inevitably become the center, they needed to carefully think through measures to keep the other areas from declining.

That reminds me—there was a streamer I used to watch a lot about ten years in the future, who worked as a researcher at a national university around here and talked about frequenting super sento baths and local sake shops. He was really entertaining with his Pokimon and Anagami playthroughs.

I feel like he mentioned place names like Itoshima City and Hatae during his streams.

But beyond that, my memory was pretty vague.

(As expected, I don’t know that much detail.)

Maybe when I get back to Osaka, I’ll look into it a bit more.

"When I first got my bicycle, I used to come around here a lot with Yuu-kun, right?"

When Shinoaki said that, Yuu-kun silently nodded.

"I guess they were happy to be able to go farther away. The two of them would ride their bikes out and stay out until evening many times."

Jin-san said with narrowed eyes, reminiscing. It really made it clear how close the siblings were.

"And then, the candy shop at the intersection was..."

Shinoaki and Jin-san continued talking about the area. How that shop had changed, how this place used to be, and how it is now. It wasn’t like she had come back after many years or anything, but maybe this was a region where changes happened relatively often.

Feeling somewhat left out, I glanced at Yuu-kun, who was sitting in the passenger seat, through the rearview mirror.

"............"

As usual, he didn’t join in our conversation. Even when Jin-san or Shinoaki occasionally tried to include him, he would only respond with a silent nod. It didn’t seem like he was in a bad mood, but it still bothered me.

(At this rate, we might not get a proper conversation today either.)

It felt like it would take time before a second attempt at contact... or rather, the wall between us seemed so thick I even wondered if it was possible before this trip ended.

——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———

Part 9 (Kawasegawa POV)

Café Spade, late afternoon, a time when there weren't many people.

It was the perfect time to relax and read a book, but unfortunately, today I wasn't alone; I was with someone else.

"I had a dream yesterday."

The moment we sat down, that was the topic he suddenly brought up.

"You and I worked at the same company, and you were the boss while I was the subordinate. I figured we’d be fighting nonstop like usual, but surprisingly, we actually did our jobs properly. Somehow, that creeped me out, so even after I woke up, I still remembered it."

I let out a sigh. Why was that the first thing he decided to talk about?

"If I had a subordinate like Kuroda, I think my stomach would melt completely from stress."

"If you say that, then if Kawasegawa were my boss, I’d quit the company immediately."

This time, both of us sighed together. Even though we were always trading barbs with each other, moments like this lined up strangely well. Maybe it was something close to mutual hatred between similar people. Probably.

"So, what’s up? You invited me out for tea even though we just happened to run into each other, so there’s gotta be something on your mind, right?"

Actually, that was true. I was honestly curious about what Kuroda had been doing after quitting college, and what he planned to do from here on out.

"I wanted to hear how you’ve been doing lately."

Kuroda thought about my words for a moment, then replied,

"Did something happen with Hashiba? Or are you worried about your future or something?"

That was his sudden response.

"This conversation isn’t making any sense."

"Well, since you're asking me something like that, I figured it must be something you're using as material to consider in relation to yourself or Hashiba."

He had hit the mark.

Not just about what had been going on with Hashiba lately, but also about my own future, and even the fact that I was trying to use Kuroda’s story as a reference for it all, he had seen straight through me.

"Hihi, sorry about that. I don't think I'll ever change this way of speaking."

"It's alright. I asked a shallow question too. Forget what I just said."

Kuroda let out a faint sigh, then said,

"Lately... let’s see. I’ve been thinking about new ways to train and develop talented people."

Maybe because he was trying to be considerate toward me, he actually talked about what he’d been up to.

"As a producer, you mean?"

"Yeah. I think you’d understand this, but when it comes to creators, it’s not as simple as just paying them and calling it a day. The balance between reputation and actual reward is difficult."

I understood. Or rather, it felt like even professionals struggled with that balance and still hadn’t found a good answer. There were also plenty of companies and producers who just handled it carelessly.

And because of that, it's a fact that some creators get hurt and can no longer work.

"So lately, I’ve often been negotiating to make sure proper credit is given. I thought it’d be easier than gathering money, but it’s surprisingly troublesome. Well, it taught me just how many people care about saving face."

I was surprised that even someone like Kuroda, who knew the industry so well, was still trying to properly learn new things.

At his age—or mine—it wouldn’t be strange to gloss things over with the momentum of youth. But Kuroda was properly thinking about the future of the creators he worked with and acting accordingly.

He was already thinking much farther ahead than we were.

"Hihi, that look says you’re surprised?"

He had hit the mark, so for a moment I couldn’t find the words to answer.

"You’re right. I thought that was something you’d already moved past long ago."

"I’m not some kind of robot either. If different choices show up, of course, I hesitate. Sometimes I pick the wrong one and regret it afterward."

I found myself thinking that, unexpectedly, he sounded very human.

"So that’s how it is."

"Yeah. Especially lately, I’ve been thinking I shouldn’t have let Shino go."

It felt like a sharp jolt of electricity ran through my mind. I had just remembered something Hashiba asked me recently.

"You mean you think you should’ve brought her into anime production after all?"

"No. I probably wouldn’t have thrown her straight into a brutal work environment like that. More than that, I think I wanted to guide her toward taking on illustration jobs where each individual piece carried more weight, so she could find something like her own artistic style."

Kuroda took a sip of his coffee, then slowly crossed his arms.

"I told Hashiba too, but Shino is exceptionally talented as a creator, and that’s exactly why she’s fragile. If she stays in a battlefield-like environment for too long, someday she’ll break. And once that happens, she probably won’t recover easily."

I was honestly surprised that he had seen that far ahead.

I also understood that Shinoaki was a creator on a completely different level from ordinary people. But I hadn’t realized that her talent also made her fragile. At most, I thought she was different from the other kids, so I needed to be careful.

"Well, I figure Hashiba already understands that much. I heard the two of them are working together on a light novel project right now."

"Yeah. That’s what I’ve heard too."

"Well then, it’s not really my place to interfere."

After saying that, Kuroda stopped talking about Shinoaki. In the end, I still couldn’t give him an answer about how I myself felt.

Shinoaki had fallen ill, and she had gone to Fukuoka together with Hashiba. I had only just heard about it a little earlier. I didn’t think it was Hashiba’s responsibility, and I also told him it was strange to blame himself for not noticing something when he wasn’t her guardian.

But I couldn’t help feeling that Hashiba’s attachment to Shinoaki went beyond just being work partners. If I put it that way, it would immediately turn into a conversation about whether it was romantic or not, but at least for those two, that didn’t seem to be the case right now.

(Rather, it seems much more complicated than that, in their case.)

Both Hashiba and Shinoaki are kind to others in a way that makes them prone to hiding their own weaknesses. Hashiba has improved a bit, but Shinoaki has been keeping something hidden ever since she first enrolled.

Relationships where people constantly consider each other tend to break in a much worse way when something finally explodes.

Because both of them are excellent creators, I want to somehow stop that explosion at the edge before it happens. But right now, no one around them can tell what the trigger might be.

Kuroda, before being a friend, looks at Shinoaki as a creator. Because of that, I felt he was able to think about things in a strict but calm and rational way.

But could Hashiba do the same when it comes to her?

Honestly, I thought that would be very difficult.

With a sigh, I looked up at the ceiling.

The stain on the aged ceiling somehow looked like a sorrowful face.

(For me, there’s only so much I can do about this)

I don’t want my important friends to end up sad. If something does happen, I want to handle it in a way that minimizes the damage.

All I could do was hope that both Hashiba and Shinoaki wouldn’t end up getting hurt too much.

——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———

Part 10

The drive ended after we had made a full loop around the Itoshima Peninsula. The restaurant with oysters that Jin-san had been looking forward to was closed that day, so instead we headed to a place serving something a bit unusual: Fukuoka-style udon.

It’s not something well known to outsiders, but in fact, people in Fukuoka tend to eat more udon than ramen. The so-called Fukuoka udon is even something some people are more particular about than tonkotsu ramen.

"You might be surprised at first, but it’s really good."

If a cook like Jin-san says so, then it must be true.

A few minutes by car from Hatae Station, along National Route 202, there was a slightly old-fashioned Japanese-style shop with a tiled roof.

As soon as we stepped through the noren (curtain) and into the restaurant,

"I'm so happy to see Maki's udon."

It seemed like this was a familiar shop for Shinoaki, to the point where her mood noticeably lifted.

"You like this place?"

"Mm, that's exactly the same store I want to bring to Osaka as much as 'Umakatoyo'~"

Apparently, all the noodles here were made at the main store, so they could only open branches within a range reachable by car.

"The noodles are super soft and really good~ And you know, there’s a trap in the udon here, so you’ve gotta be careful, Kyoya-kun..."

"A trap?"

That was a word you don’t usually hear in the udon industry.

Jin-san, who had been listening to the conversation, laughed and said,

"Fukuoka udon is soft, so it absorbs the broth very quickly. If you leave it sitting without eating, it starts to look like the noodles are multiplying."

"Moh, Dad, you shouldn’t say it first."

Shinoaki puffed up her cheeks in dissatisfaction. So that’s what it was about.

(Well, then we’d better start eating quickly.)

The four of us sat down at a table in the tatami room and ordered the burdock tempura udon as recommended. Apparently, in Fukuoka, burdock tempura is the most popular type of tempura udon.

"Sorry to keep you waiting~. Four burdock tempura, right?"

Soon after, the udon was brought out. Just as they had said, it looked soft and fluffy, as if it would quickly soak up the broth.

(These noodles seem to be the complete opposite of Sanuki udon...)

In fact, it seemed that people who preferred firm, chewy Sanuki-style udon didn’t really get along with this kind.

Curious about what it was like, I carefully took a bite.

"...This is delicious!"

It was a texture and flavor that was not easy to come across.

The broth, mainly made from flying fish stock, had a gentle yet rich seafood flavor. It paired perfectly with the soft, fluffy noodles. Rather than the noodles being the main focus, it felt like the noodles and broth came together as one, creating something entirely different from the udon I had been used to.

"It's delicious~. You really can't find this anywhere else."

I could understand why Shinoaki muttered that so sentimentally. This was indeed something that didn’t exist in other regions.

As I was deeply moved by my first experience with udon, Jin-san suddenly spoke up as if he had just remembered something.

"Aki started working as an illustrator, didn't you?"

My hand stopped.

I wondered why he brought it up at this timing.

"That’s right, I’m currently drawing illustrations for novels."

My heartbeat suddenly quickened.

Shinoaki wasn’t hiding her work from her family. But it was also known that she had returned to her hometown after falling ill.

From a parent’s perspective, it would be natural to think that her current work might have something to do with her condition, and it would also be understandable if they told her to take it easy or even to stop.

Maybe they were going to say something about her work. Maybe the fact that they brought it up while I was there had some kind of meaning behind it?

I swallowed hard and waited for Jin-san’s reaction.

However,

"I see. It must be tough, but make sure to take care of your health."

Jin-san didn’t particularly scold Shinoaki.

"Mm, I ended up worrying you all."

All at once, the tension in my body eased. Honestly, I had been worried about what might happen.

It was clear that Shinoaki cared deeply about her family. So, being able to gain her father’s understanding here was a relief.

(I was thinking that even if she continues working like this, she’ll need to take proper measures.)

Just as I was about to return my attention to the udon in front of me.

It happened at that very moment.

A voice I'd never heard before came from right beside me.

"——Nee-san."

I was startled.

Yuu-kun, who had been silent the entire time, suddenly spoke up.

"Yuu-kun, what’s wrong?"

Shinoaki gently asked him back.

But Yuu-kun didn’t move at all. He stayed completely still, not even touching his chopsticks. His hands were placed neatly on his knees, and after a moment of looking down as if thinking about something, he slowly lifted his gaze.

He looked straight at Shinoaki.

"Didn’t you say you weren’t going to draw anymore?"

"...Eh."

Without thinking, I turned to look at Shinoaki’s face.

The usual smile wasn’t there. Instead, I could see a face that looked apologetic, and somehow sad, directed at Yuu-kun.

I recognized that expression.

I could never forget it. It was a memory of a sorrowful future.

(That face... the one she made when she said, “I’ve already stopped drawing”.)

What did that mean? When had Shinoaki ever said something like that?

To the still-silent Shinoaki, Yuu-kun pressed on, almost cornering her.

"But you said you wouldn’t draw anymore...!"

Obviously, it was a strong tone. It seems that he is sincerely asking why, as if blaming Shinoaki.

"Nee-san...!"

As if demanding an answer, Yuu-kun called out to Shinoaki again.

She didn’t change her expression as she finally spoke,

"I’m sorry, Yuu-kun. I guess, I still enjoy drawing after all."

"No way..."

Yuu-kun briefly glanced at me. His eyes were, at the very least, not friendly.

With a tone that sounded like he was spitting the words out, he continued.

"It’s because you went to art university that you became like this, nee-san..."

"Yuu, stop."

A short, calm voice, but with undeniable strength, cut through the air.

It was Jin-san’s voice.

".................."

Yuu-kun fell silent, choking on his words,

"I’m going to walk home. You all go ahead without me."

With those words, he quietly left the shop. The three of us remained silent, staring at the udon in front of us.

Honestly, in the awkward atmosphere,

"Come on, we’d better finish our udon. Around here, the udon keeps multiplying if you leave it."

Shinoaki said it as if trying to shift the mood, and only then did Jin-san and I finally resume eating our remaining udon.

(Shinoaki... what happened?)

I had come to learn a part of what lay deep within her, and in her past, in an unexpected way.