Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you~
Thank you for your support Saylesma, La Fayette, Jeffery, That's Pretty Mint, Joshua Berry and Makalelo

Chapter 1 | Correct City | Remake our Life!



Part 1

It was late summer 2008. Shinoaki and I were on a plane headed for Fukuoka Airport.

There are basically two ways to get from Tokyo to Fukuoka.

One is by land, using the Shinkansen or an express bus. However, this takes quite a long time; even the Shinkansen, which is considered fast, takes about five hours, and if you take the slower express bus, you’ll be stuck in your seat for over 14 hours.

That’s why most people choose the other option: flying. Not only does this get you there in about two hours, but the connecting transportation options are also excellent.

"You know, in Fukuoka, there’s a subway line that runs right from the airport, and it’s designed so that you can get to pretty much anywhere just by taking that."

Saying this on the plane, Shinoaki seemed genuinely excited about returning home to Fukuoka.

"That certainly seems to be the case."

When I looked at the guidebook I’d bought at the airport, that’s exactly what it said. Or rather, it seemed that Fukuoka Airport itself was located right in the city, quite close to the center, and that the view during landing was a bit different from other airports.

(People who aren’t comfortable flying might find this scary.)

But I thought it was a relief that it was so close to the city. Whether it’s Osaka or Tokyo, if it takes a long time to get around after leaving the airport, that alone is enough to leave me feeling a bit drained.

I stole a quick glance at Shinoaki’s face.

She was looking at the panel in front of her, a cheerful expression on her face.

(I guess that was the answer, after all)

Even though we were spending time together, I still couldn’t quite see who she really was. I was determined to find a way to get to know her.

But she was always somewhere else. Even as we worked on things together, her gaze seemed to be fixed on something else entirely.

I want to know about Shinoaki. She didn't answer my words directly, but asked me in a different way.

Would you like to come with me?

I felt that saying “yes” would be the first step toward getting to know her. So, I didn’t have any reason to refuse.

And now, I’m heading toward the city of Fukuoka with her.

Will she be the one to bring something to me, or will I be the one asking her questions? I don’t know yet.

But I figured I wouldn’t know unless I went. So, I chose to come without hesitation.

(I don’t regret coming... but)

That said, I did have a slight concern.

"I wonder if it was really okay for me to come."

"Why?"

Shinoaki looked at me with a puzzled expression as I spoke anxiously.

"Well, I mean, I’m not family or anything, and here I am suddenly showing up at your parents’ house."

I'd never been to Fukuoka before, and my part-time job wasn't that desperate at the time, so there was no problem with saying yes. But I never in a million years imagined I’d be invited to stay overnight at her parents’ house.

"Oh, it’s fine. My dad loves having people over, and with just the three of us, including my brother, it feels a little lonely."

"Is that how it is..."

"Mm, mm. So don’t worry about it."

She gave me a smile, which made me feel a little relieved, but deep down, I still felt a sense of guilt.

Besides, there was one more thing on my mind.

Shinoaki continued talking happily, oblivious to my feelings.

"I want Kyouya-kun to try the seafood from Itoshima."

"I see. Since it’s so close to the ocean. What kinds of seafood do they catch there?"

"Well, oysters are abundant in Itoshima, and there are restaurants that serve them. I'm looking forward to it."

At first glance, she seemed completely unchanged, but behind that smile, I could see the accumulated fatigue.

Even though she’d rested and received treatment at the hospital, it wasn’t something that could be fixed so easily. After all, she’d returned to her parents’ home because she’d fallen ill. This wasn’t a joyful homecoming; the reason was entirely different.

It pains me to think her family must be worried. If I could, I’d want her to just relax and take her time to rest.

(But when I think about the light novel deadline...)

I called her editor to explain the situation now that Shinoaki had recovered. Apparently, the editor said there was still a little leeway in the schedule and that they’d adjust things so as not to postpone the deadline.

Of course, we can’t keep postponing it forever. Besides, considering her future work schedule, we need to draw the line somewhere.

Shinoaki gazes out the window with a serene expression. Amidst the sea of clouds stretching out before her, the sparkling sunlight illuminates her face.

That scene, with its almost divine quality, reminded me of the world ten years from now.

Sunflower. The miraculous book that saved me.

Back then, I wondered: What kind of person created this? If possible, I’d like to meet them.

That wish came true for a reason I never could have imagined. What’s more, I ended up witnessing the very process of her creation from the closest possible vantage point.

(It’s ironic, isn’t it?)

I’m being forced to make a choice. If I’m concerned about her well-being, it would probably be best to just watch over her in silence, but if I want her to move forward as a creator, I should encourage her and guide her to keep drawing.

The old me would have chosen the latter without hesitation.

But now, I’m wavering. I swore I’d let my ego run wild, yet when I actually saw the changes in her, everything went back to the way it was. If I’m this indecisive, it’s bound to create some kind of distortion again.

The world I used to look up to as a student had completely transformed into a professional one. While they were all evolving one after another, I was the only one still stuck as an amateur.

As I agonized in frustration, a beep sounded, and an announcement came over the intercom that we were preparing to land.

"Ah, it's about time."

Shinoaki sat up straight and fastened her seatbelt.

Following her lead, I found myself replaying those thoughts in my head. What would be best for Shinoaki’s future?

(I have to find something in this place.)

Having followed her lead all the way to Fukuoka, I was about to discover the origins of the creator I’d always admired. Whether that would turn out for the best or the worst, I still didn’t know.

——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———

Part 2 (Tsurayuki's POV)

Even now, as the heat lingers, the southern part of Osaka remains sweltering with that sticky, muggy humidity. Since they call it “late summer heat,” I wish it would just melt away already, but there’s still absolutely no sign of that happening.

"Haa, I’m glad the share house has air conditioning, though."

Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, we’re still managing to get through this season in comfort. I’m sure those guys who aren’t here right now are having a comfortable time, too.

I glance at the two empty seats at the living room table.

Shinoaki and Kyoya went to Fukuoka together.

If they’d just gone to Kyushu, I’d simply say, “They went,” but Fukuoka is Shinoaki’s hometown. It’s one thing for her to invite him, but it’s another for him to accept. Even from my perspective as an outsider, this is quite a situation.

"I-I-I guess they’re about to arrive soon, Shino... Shinoaki and the others, right?"

This girl right in front of me, acting all suspicious with her whole body, was undoubtedly as flustered as could be.

"Yeah, they said they’d arrive at 4:30, so it should be any minute now. And Nanako, be careful, that’s not a cup you’re holding."

"Eh? Ah...!"

Panicking, Nanako set the bottle of vitamins she was holding down on the desk. That’s what happens when you’re distracted and only moving your hands.

After seeing off the two of them who suddenly had to go out, we ended up staying behind to mind the place. I mean, this is basically my office now, but I came over thinking this girl in front of me looked bored, and sure enough, that’s exactly how it turned out.

(She’s clearly not here mentally)

Well, depending on how you look at it, she might actually look kind of cute.

Pouting her lips in embarrassment, Nanako said in a sulky voice,

"Tsurayuki, aren't you curious about Kyouya and Shinoaki?"

"Well, I’m a little curious, of course. But with those two, it doesn’t exactly feel like they’re getting together, does it? They’ll probably just go eat some Fukuoka food together, say ‘That was delicious,’ and come back."

"You can say that because you don’t know anything..."

Nanako said that and puffed out her cheeks.

"Wait, did something happen?"

"Nothing! Anyway, how’s your light novel coming along? You said you’d already started writing Volume 2, but it doesn’t seem like you’ve made much progress."

Guh... She hit a sore spot.

It's true I'd started writing volume 2, but strictly speaking, it was still in the preparation stage; I was just writing the plot. Actually turning it into a manuscript would come after that.

"Well, I'm working hard on that too. It's just not leading to results."

The plot was proving difficult.

I’d already sent the first draft to my editor, but it was sent back almost immediately.

The email simply said, “Please read through it carefully once more, decide for yourself if you think this is good enough, and then send it back.”

To be honest, I couldn't say anything. I was aware that the content was boring.

So, I submitted it as a last-ditch effort, but they’re professionals. He saw right through my naive thinking and sent it right back.

(I kind of know what’s wrong with it)

I’m relatively good at coming up with ideas, but I lack the ability to structure them and fit them within the given framework. It was the same with the script for the video I made at the beginning of my first year; I don’t have the ability to discern which scenes are necessary and which aren’t.

And there are people around me who are good at making those kinds of choices.

(I want to consult with Kyoya more, but...)

I do feel like relying on him too much might not be right.

I have a guilty conscience because, even though Kyoya helped me so much back then, I ended up repaying his kindness with ingratitude.

Of course, he never brings it up, and I’m determined to start fresh and move forward.

But that’s exactly why I don’t want to rely on him too much this time. I don’t think I can truly be his equal unless I move forward on my own.

Maybe my frustration showed on my face, because Nanako looked serious and said,

"...What’s wrong? I thought you'd talk back like you always do, but you're just really down."

"That's right. If things aren’t going well, I can’t exactly be cheerful."

"Hmm..."

Nanako nodded as if she understood, then said,

"Listen, you might not like this, but."

"What?"

Perhaps feeling a bit embarrassed, she turned her face away and said,

"I’ve been trying to write songs on my own, but I’m still not used to it at all. I’m totally stuck."

Come to think of it, Nanako had also asked Kyoya for help with production and exchanging opinions. But she mentioned that she'd changed her approach to avoid getting him too involved, since she had her own ideas.

"Well, so... how about we just vent to each other? It'll be a little easier than bottling it up and not being able to tell anyone, right?"

It was unexpected.

It was surprising not only that Nanako would say something like this to me, but also that she was bottling up her frustrations and pent-up feelings with nowhere to vent them.

(I see. So I wasn’t the only one.)

Honestly, I’d always thought Nanako was much more mature as a creator than I was.

That was evident in her resolve to reduce her reliance on Kyoya’s help, and in her work, she never just relied on her usual habits to get by, but was always searching for new ways to move forward.

So, to be honest, I felt a little relieved, and it made me feel like I’d found a kindred spirit.

"He~e..."

"What’s with that ‘He~e’? If you don’t want to, then forget it."

As usual, she shot back with that kind of sassy remark, so,

"No, that’s not true. It’s a generous offer."

I said that, bowed my head exaggeratedly, and added,

"I’d really appreciate it if you’d listen to my complaints."

"Hey, cut it out! It’s embarrassing when you get all formal like that!"

As usual, she was waving her hands around nervously and blushing, so I couldn’t help but laugh.

"Don't laugh, mou!"

"Sorry, sorry. Well, I’m counting on you."

I’d come here worried that she must be exhausted from all the romantic turmoil, but instead, she was the one showing concern for me.

(So, we’ve really reached this point, haven’t we?)

At that time, I was glad I decided to come back.

Just being able to create while having conversations like this with these guys makes me a lucky guy.

——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———

Part 3

Fukuoka Airport was really in the city. If you go a few stops by subway, you can get to the largest downtown area, and I felt that this is certainly a feature that other cities do not have.

If you go a little further from there, you will enter an area where the Fukuoka Dome is located, and as soon as you step out on the ground, you will see mountains and fields, and it is a compact city with all the elements grouped together.

"When people first move here, they tend to feel a bit down, thinking they’ve come a long way, but after living here for a while, they start to realize it’s actually a nice place."

Shinoaki said cheerfully.

Farmland began to mingle with the residential areas, and the scenery shifted to a peaceful, rural landscape. After passing a station named after a national university and going one more stop,

"Next stop: Hatae."

The announcement came over the intercom.

"Ah, we’re getting off here."

Shinoaki said, and quickly stood up from her seat.

"Hatae... Ah, so it’s written with the characters for ‘wave’ and ‘river’?"

The station name was written in kanji on the route map inside the car. Since it’s written with the characters for “many waves,” I wonder if it’s a place near the sea.

Before I had time to think about it further, the train arrived and the doors opened. Shinoaki and I stepped onto the platform, and following her lead, we headed up the stairs toward the ticket gates.

The ticket gates were located in an open area on the upper level, so I tapped my IC card and headed toward the exit.

Soon, the view suddenly opened up, revealing the atmosphere of a very ordinary rural town.

"So this is the town where Shinoaki grew up?"

In front of the station stood the agricultural cooperative building, along with a small supermarket, a bank, and a large parking lot. A little further away, I could see a large gymnasium and a white building, probably an elementary or middle school.

"Fufu, there's nothing here, right? There's nothing here, but it's a nice place."

Certainly, there was nothing special about this. From the name of the station, I thought that the sea spread out all over the place, but there was no such thing.

But when I thought about the fact that Shinoaki was born in this town, I couldn’t help but feel that this peaceful scenery had something special about it. You could call it a preconception, but right now, I just couldn’t bring myself to accept what I saw at face value.

Shinoaki checked RINE on her phone and said,

"Dad says he’s coming to pick me up. He should be here by now... Ah."

Shinoaki looked around nervously and immediately exclaimed.

She spotted a man walking toward them.

"Aki, welcome home."

The man spoke to Shinoaki with a warm, gentle smile.

She nodded happily and said,

"Mm. Ah, Kyoya-kun, this is my dad."

She introduced him to me.

"You must be Hashiba Kyoya-san. I'm Jin, Aki's father."

Jin-san bowed politely after his greeting. He looked to be in his 50s, with some gray in his hair, but he was a smart, gentlemanly man who looked good in silver-rimmed glasses.

(So this is Shinoaki’s dad, huh?)

Just like the peaceful countryside scenery, and I know this sounds rude, I didn’t really feel anything particularly special about him. He just seemed like a kind father.

"Ah, nice to meet you. I’m Hashiba."

I bowed my head slightly,

"I'm sorry, uhm, for showing up so suddenly."

"Haha, it’s fine. It’s a bit lonely here with just the three of us. I’m actually kind of excited to have a visitor for the first time in a while."

My apologetic words were accepted without a second thought. Just as Shinoaki said, it seems I don’t need to worry about that.

"Areh? Where's Yu-kun?"

Shinoaki asked, looking around curiously.

"Ah, Yuu... he's at home. He’s just being his usual shy self."

"Hmm, I see."

At Jin-san's words, Shinoaki nodded in agreement.

"Shinoaki, you mean... your younger brother?"

When I asked, Shinoaki smiled brightly,

"That’s right~. But he’s so shy, he never comes to places like this."

"I'm sorry, especially since you came all this way. I'll tell him later."

After receiving explanations from both Shinoaki and Jin-san,

"Ah, no, no, it's nothing to worry about."

I hastily waved my hand to show that it wasn't a problem.

Come to think of it, Shinoaki had talked about her younger brother a little bit before.

He was a responsible person, a little strict with Shinoaki, which is why she jokingly said, "I don't like him!".

Of course, I knew that was just her way of showing affection, so I was all the more curious about what kind of brother he was.

(Looks like I’ll have to wait a little longer to meet him)

A slight sense of unease welled up inside me.

"I parked the car over there, so let’s head home for now."

I replied “Yes” to Jin-san’s words, and we followed behind him. As we walked, I mulled over the unease that had crept in.

Neither of them had given me any specific warnings, and there probably wasn’t anything I needed to be particularly careful about. It was likely just shyness or being a bit reserved, but,

(I can’t help but worry, can I?)

It’s not like I was expecting a grand welcome, but getting stood up right at the start of our meeting inevitably made me worry.

Well, there’s no point in worrying about it too much now, and above all, this isn’t a trip I took just to win his favor, so as long as things don’t turn hostile, I suppose that’s good enough.

So, for now, I decided not to let it bother me.

——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———

Part 4 (Takenaka POV)

SucceedSoft, Head Office Development Department. That's where I work part-time.

Though to be honest, lately I’ve been working so hard I sometimes wonder if “part-time” even means I get to eat!

Well, that’s fine because I enjoy it, but there’s something I’m really unhappy about. I’ll talk about what that is later, but for now, I have to submit this newly completed project to my boss, my older brother.

"Matsuhira-san, I've finished! I've completed all 20 items and other things perfectly, just as you instructed!"

With a confident expression, I held out a list of printed images in front of Matsuhira-san.

"Oh, that was fast. Alright, I’ll take a look."

Then, with his usual careful manner, he looked through them one by one, nodding as he went. There’s just something about Matsuhira-san, he makes all this detailed work look so effortless.

"Speaking of which, have you heard anything from paisen?"

"From Hashiba-kun? No, I haven’t heard anything other than him saying he’s taking the day off."

Feeling a bit frustrated, I held up the RINE message I’d received from paisen and showed it to Matsuhira-san.

"What’s this? I’ve heard the town is beautiful over there, and since it’s close to the ocean, the seafood is delicious too... Hmm. Lucky you, Hashiba-kun."

"Right?! While Takenaka and onii-sama (big brother) are working their butts off here, paisen goes and visits Shinoaki-senpai’s family home, that’s just too much of a class divide! Might as well start a Takenaka Kingdom-wide strike or something. Eh? Yes? What’s wrong?"

Just as I was about to continue talking, Matsuhira-san quickly held out her palm in front of me, signaling for me to stop.

"Yes, Takenaka-san, correct that. I told you “onii-sama” is a no-go, right."

"Eh~~~, “onii-sama” is a no? Takenaka thought it was a pretty good nickname, the best since ‘Paisen"

"It's no good. I'm an only child, and more importantly, I'm not your big brother."

"But, but, I think Matsuhira-san has a really great 'big brother' vibe! Takenaka thinks it's the best."

"No. Okay, then start over from where we left off."

Matsuhira-san was his usual cheerful, easygoing self, but it seemed he just couldn’t bring himself to let me call him “Onii-sama”.

"Oka~y. So, the thing is, while Matsuhira-san and Takenaka are working like this, I just can’t help but think, ‘Paisen is having it so good!’ That’s what I’m talking about!"

My senior, whom I affectionately call Paisen, is currently away on a trip. I'm not talking about a trip to Shinsaibashi or Namba, but all the way to Fukuoka. Naturally, that means he'll be off work during that time.

Of course, I understand there are reasons for it, and I totally get that Paisen would do that, but it's still really sad that I can't work with my highly respected Paisen, even for a short while. No, it's really sad.

So here I am, yapping and snapping at my other senior, Matsuhira-san, but I just feel like he’s skillfully dodging everything with ease, and it’s incredibly frustrating for me.

Seriously, what's with that incredible dodging ability?! Is he a bullfighter?! Or was he raised in Spain!

"It can’t be helped. Was it Shino-san? He said he was worried about that girl, so I suggested he go with her too."

"Eh, does Matsuhira-san approve it!?"

From what I know, Paisen and Shinoaki-senpai have an incredibly strong bond of trust. That's why I understand why they went to Fukuoka together this time, but I never imagined Matsuhira-san would give the OK too!

"Haha, it’s not like I’m the one who has to give permission or anything. I’m just talking in general terms."

"Hmm, I see..."

"Besides."

Matsuhira-san's face became a little serious,

"When someone who creates things gets sick, it can often be too late before you know it. Just because she’s young doesn’t mean you should take it lightly."

I could tell he was genuinely concerned about Shinoaki-senpai.

"Y-You’re right. I guess that makes sense."

Somehow, I just had this gut feeling that I shouldn’t push this any further.

Usually, when Matsuhira-san talks like this, he gets jokes, he’s funny, and he even adjusts his tone to match someone like Takenaka, who’s a bit of an idiot. He’s so flawless in that regard that I’m actually impressed; this must be what they mean by being a “social butterfly”.

But when it comes to health and things like that, I’ve started to wonder lately if he has some kind of obsession or a special attachment to the subject. A little while back, when Takenaka came to work wearing a mask because I was feeling a bit under the weather, he told me rather firmly, “I’ll handle the work here, so go home and get some rest right away”.

Well, I guess part of it was that it would have been a disaster if that had spread to the employees, but even so, it really drove the point home that this is a topic we shouldn’t touch.

"Well, with that in mind, let’s make up for Hashiba-kun’s absence."

"Right, Takenaka will do her best!"

As long as I don’t dig into any weird details, he’s a really, really ideal senior, so I decided to be careful about that and work hard until paisen comes back.

(Energy, motivation, Takenaka! If I do this now, paisen will surely be very happy!)

Yes, it’s precisely during emergencies like this that paisen is bound to be watching to see just how much I can handle on my own.

Uoooh, Takenaka-san, you're doing great! Maybe it's not just a dream that I'll be asked to be the main staff member for the next project!

Okay, for now, I'll quickly finish this job I just completed and move on to the next one...

"Ah, by the way, about the graphic you just submitted, it looks like we’ll need some revisions, so I’ll put together a list of changes."

"Gyaah! You really show no mercy when it comes to that, senpai!"

——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———

Part 5

Shinoaki's family home was only a few minutes away by car. It was a quiet residential area, a peaceful place.

"So this is Shinoaki’s house."

The house was bigger than I had expected. It was a Western-style building, with distinctive window designs.

According to what Shinoaki told me on the way here, they had originally been looking for a newly built ready-made house, but then they found a secondhand property that matched their ideal perfectly and quickly decided on it. That ideal property was this house.

"You used to say this was a wizard's house all the time, Aki."

"Did I really say that? Fufu, I don’t remember~"

She didn’t seem to recall it herself, but it did sound like something she might have said.

(Magic power, it seems possible)

The shape of the windows and the structure of the roof gave the place a distinctly different atmosphere from the surrounding Japanese-style buildings. If you were to look for something special in the environment that shaped Shinoaki, this house would probably be it; that was the impression it gave.

Following Shinoaki and Jin-san, I stepped inside. The entryway was spacious and open. It was neatly kept, which felt a little different from the impression of Shinoaki, who wasn’t very good at tidying up.

To the right of the entrance stretched a long hallway. According to Shinoaki, it connected to all the rooms in the house.

"The guest room is on the first floor, so please leave your luggage there."

Jin-san, who had unlocked the door ahead of us, said that as I tried to open the door at the end of the hallway.

"Areh, it’s locked..."

But it was locked and wouldn't open.

"Ah, that’s not the guest room. This way, this way."

"I see, sorry."

Guided by Shinoaki, I was led to a different room.

The guest room I was shown was a Japanese-style room with plenty of natural light. In the simple tatami-matted space, a set of futons had been neatly folded and placed to the side. It felt a bit out of place within the otherwise Western-style house, as if it had been added later through renovation.

"Please let me know if there's anything you need."

Jin-san said so, but I felt hesitant to make such a request in someone else's house, especially since I'd just shown up unexpectedly.

(If I need any amenities, I can just go to a convenience store.)

On the way here, I noticed there was a Dawson nearby, so I could rely on that if needed. In modern Japan, as long as there’s a convenience store, you can manage just about anything.

I set down my luggage, took out the things I needed, and let out a small sigh. I had followed her all the way to Fukuoka, just like she said, and now I’d even ended up inside her family home. For just a friend, this was clearly getting a bit too involved.

"What the hell are you thinking?"

It was a question directed at Shinoaki, and at me as well.

There were still so many things I didn't understand. What did I intend to do after learning about her? Had I come here to gather information to make a decision? Was it simply an extension of my curiosity? There were things I couldn't fully comprehend.

Even in this warm, homely atmosphere, I carried a completely opposite kind of tension the whole time. When it came to Shinoaki, there was still so much about her that felt immeasurable, something I had barely even begun to grasp.