Translated: reireiss, MTLs-nim 

Edited: reireiss, Grammarly ssi 

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to keep this translation and the translators alive. 

Don't forget to leave a message that you support this novel by writing the title when tipping. 

Thanks^ ^ 


***

PLEASE!!

DON'T SHARE OR REPOST!!

***

Translator Note:

Just wanted to let you know that sometimes I won't translate calls(?) like 'oppa, hyung, eonni, nuna, etc.' and suffixes like '-ssi, -nim, etc.'

So...... Bear with me, please (/▿\ )

Thank You!

***

Chapter 12 – That's a Good Joke

'As expected, it's a masterpiece even if you watch it again.'

Lee Seowon left the movie theater with a sad face. Today was the last day that <Children> would be in theaters. Even though it was a re-release, he watched it three times.

'What a waste. Such a waste.'

He chose <Children> as his life movie, and he was one of the people who was especially fascinated by the appearance of the lead actor, Yoon Jae-hee.

If he didn't disappear so suddenly, he was the number one person that he wanted to recruit to his company.

'Where and what are you doing now?'

If he comes back, he is willing to support him. Now, he is fully capable of doing so.

'Come to think of it, that bodyguard also came to the premiere, right?'

He was going to pay attention to the production for the time being, but he automatically took out his business card when he saw someone who created an unusual atmosphere in Cho Yoo-kyung's behind.

Later, it turned out that he was quite famous on the Internet. He only worked as a red carpet bodyguard for a while, but he even had a small fan.

'For some reason, I couldn't stop looking at him.'

With that much presence, it's understandable. Cho Yoo-kyung must have recognized that and carried him around.

The actor's acting skills are important, of course, but you can boost it with effort. Or you can supplement it with editing, production, and directing.

However, eye-catching images and unique atmospheres are not created by themselves. They needed to have something natural. And the bodyguard was born with it.

"Seowon Hyung."

"Hyung -nim!"

"Lee Seowon, here."

Lee Seowon walked into the restaurant and was greeted by those already seated.

"Hey, it's been a while. Is everyone doing well?"

"What are you doing so late?"

"I came here after watching a movie. Is Young-chang Hyung here today?"

"Since you're talking about Director Lee, I'm guessing you've been watching <Children> again."

They were all people whose faces had been seen or whose names had often been heard somewhere. Lee Seowon can feel the restaurant staff glancing over us, and the boss is looking for paper and pen to get their autographs.

"Man, Yoon Jae-hee, he's a real piece of work."

"What's he doing now?"

"Didn't they get in touch with him when they re-release the movie?"

"Director Lee said no."

Naturally, the topic turned to <Children>. Lee Young-chang was a frequent participant in these meetings, but he was loyal to Yoon Jay; he would keep the secret until Yoon Jay revealed it himself.

"Shin-woo, don't you know anything?"

"No, because he and I never filmed together."

If I had known things would turn out like this, then I would have flown a turbocharged kite. Park Shin-woo made a joke.

T/N: I'm sorry, I didn't know what this joke meant. Maybe it's a joke from a meme or something(?) I've tried to find out about it, but I didn't find anything.

"Now, here's, my new business card."

As they continued to talk about <Children>, the industry, and their recent work, Lee Seowon jumped up and turned the business card around.

"Hey, what's the name of your company, 'Astra'? Is it a drug name? I'm going to go to the company, so make a good name."

"It means stars in Latin. Sungho Hyung -nim, you are the star that will light up our company."

"I'm not a star. Isn't it the sun?"

"The sun is also a star."

T/N: They talked about the meaning of Sungho's name.

A few people burst into laughter at the two people’s comical conversation.

This is the gathering of famous actors, writers, and directors, along with producers and investors. It was an immensely influential gathering.

This gathering is unofficially called the "Coke Club" because they toast with coke instead of alcohol.

Everyone was a powerhouse in their respective fields, and the group was so wholesome and non-controversial that many actors wanted to be a part of it.

"So, Hyung, what happens to your old company?"

"Well, it's just over."

Lee Seowon was the CEO of E-West Pictures, a content production company that produced many hit movies. He made headlines when he sold his stake to a conglomerate and made a huge profit.

"I had no intention of exiting. I just got annoyed that they kept changing their minds, so I backed out."

"That's what happens when a big company comes in. What are you going to do? It's not going to work without you."

"It'll work itself out."

He didn't have any regrets about the company he had already left. He should think about producing good work with the money.

'I'll also try to develop a rookie after a long time.'

Lee Seowon remembered the synopsis he'd been eyeing and spontaneously matched Yoon Jay with a role that would leave a strong impression, even if it wasn't a major one. It would be a good match.

"It's a good time to start fresh, and I've got a good gem."

"Already? I thought I was number one."

Many actors moved to Lee Seowon's company after their contracts with their agencies ended. The company was only a few months old, but it was about to get big.

"So, who is that gemstone? Do we know him?"

"Do you know the bodyguard that Cho Yoo-kyung used to carry around these days?"

"I think I know......"

"I know."

Cho Yoo-kyung is a big shot. With investment, production, and distribution rights, she's a force to be reckoned with.

"Is he the one who's been in the news lately?"

"Yes. Come to think of it, Minjae, you must have had a hard time too."

"I have to endure that much."

Kwon Minjae was also a child actor who was often taken around by Cho Yoo-kyung and made his mark in the industry. Naturally, the rumors surrounding him were not good.

However, those who don't know anything believe that dirty and blatant rumors, but then, when the dice were thrown on the table, the thought would change to, 'If Cho Yoo-kyung had chosen them, then they would have been popular, right?'. That's why Lee Seowon wanted to recruit Yoon Jay in advance.

Kwon Minjae overcame the rumors and became a top actor in his 30s.

"So, did you talk to him in detail?"

"No. I just gave him my personal business card."

"Oh, then maybe he won’t contact you? If he only worked as a bodyguard, I think he wouldn't know how influential you are."

Those who don't know the industry wouldn't know the value of Lee Seowon's name. While running E-West Pictures, he was secretly called the pinnacle of casting top-tier male actors.

Since he was so good at recruiting actors, his company was only in charge of actor management. When word got out that 'Lee Seowon was involved', investors would automatically come knocking on the company's door with money in their hands.

"I'm lucky if he recognized me. It's fate."

"This guy, he's at his wits end again."

But now, he had set up a new production and management company and was preparing for a new start. There is nothing to regret even if he doesn't know about Lee Seowon. There are already many people who want to come to his company.

However, despite his thoughts, he kept checking his phone more and more frequently.

He smiled when he saw his phone blink at the right time. He doesn't recognize the number, but he has a good feeling.

"......I must be a lucky guy."

***.

'After I looked again, he was really good.'

After making the appointment, Lee Seowon looked at Yoon Jay, who was sipping his coffee with a straight posture.

His posture is straight, is it a habit? I also like his complex eyes which make me wonder about his story. It would be nice to see it through the camera.

"I know you've gotten a lot of agency castings, how many people did you contact before me?"

"You're the first."

"Really?"

It's surprising. I thought he contacted me after contacting a few big agencies.

"It was unique because it was a personalized business card from the CEO himself, and it was recommended by someone I know."

"An acquaintance...... Looks like that person knows the industry, huh?"

"Yes."

It was a bit steamy, but I was lucky he had someone who knew about the industry and got help.

"What have you heard about me?"

"I heard you have a lot of connections, and you're good at casting."

Yoon Jay had heard from Park Hyun-ah that his biological father had a reputation for seeing work and that Lee Seowon had a reputation for casting.

This was exactly what Yoon Jay wanted. A company that can put in pieces of artwork well. A production company with investors and connections.

"I don't know who your acquaintance is, but it seems they knew me well."

Yoon Jay's attitude made Lee Seowon remember someone who looked similar to him in the past.

'He's probably a senator now......'

That kind of person has a clear goal and they are confident enough to accomplish anything. If it is business-related, it will be a good relationship to rise together.

"I'm saying this because you already know a little about me, but Yoon Jay -ssi, I'm confident that I can put you in a viable project right away. Your own abilities will determine that, are you confident in that?"

"I'll try."

Yoon Jay himself still can't tell if he still has a camera phobia. But he'd already decided to tackle his comeback head-on.

"It's nice to be confident. 3 years. Let's sign a contract for just 3 years with me."

"That gives me time to convince you."

"Yeah. Well, I'm not going to drop you off a cliff, but I'm going to give you all the basic lessons."

First of all, chances are high. However, if Yoon Jay does not show as much talent as he expected, he will be left without mercy.

It's worse to give hope and then take it away, but Yoon Jay signed with Lee Seowon's new company, Astra, without hesitation.

"I'll pay you better than other rookies."

"Then, I'll have to work hard."

Since right now, Yoon Jay was the only actor in the company, things went smoothly.

The day after signing the contract, he went to a studio that Lee Seowon knew to take his profile picture.

"Your skin is so clear that it's easy to work with."

"You have quite a few scars on your body, what did you do?"

"I was a soldier."

The stylist, who was working on his outfit, wondered how a soldier could have scars like that, but she didn't have time to ponder it as the shoot was imminent.

"Why don't you pose naturally first, like you're sitting on the couch at home."

"Sure."

The photographer looked away from the camera, surprised by the naturalness of the pose, which usually takes a lot of effort from the beginner.

"Are you good at taking pictures?"

"I don't need to direct you, do I?"

Astra's CEO, Lee Seowon, who followed the filming, and Kwak Dohyun, who will be in charge of Yoon Jay in the future, watched Yoon Jay's photo shoot with interesting faces.

"Have you ever done anything like this before?"

"I've worked briefly as an amateur model."

"Oh. Good. I guess the shoot will be over early today."

When Yoon Jay lived in New York City for a while, he worked as an Asian model for a designer brand...... And walked the runway.

He was paid well, and if he hadn't gotten rid of his phobia with his father's help, he would have had to find another job to pay the city's murderous rent.

"Wow...... This is just a picture, but once you become the model, it turns into a painting."

With Yoon Jay expertly following along, the mood of the photoshoot improved.

After the shoot ended ahead of schedule, the CEO, the Manager, and Yoon Jay had dinner near the agency's office.

"So, Jay -ssi, what have you been doing so far?"

"Manager Kwak, don't you think that's a little too straightforward?"

"Oh, don't get me wrong. There has been a lot of controversy, with all the bullying and stuff, so I'm just trying to get a head start."

"Right. And I also need to know some of the special details of our affiliated actors."

Since the contract has already been completed, Yoon Jay is aware of this to protect himself if any controversy arises.

Yoon Jay gave an ambiguous look. He doesn't know where to draw the line. How much should he be honest?

"I was born in Korea, but something happened when I was younger and I moved to the United States."

"What's your education?"

"I graduated from high school and just went to school normally. I didn't bully anyone or anything."

"By any chance, the name of your school is......"

They don't know if it's true or not because they only confirm it with Yoon Jay's mouth, but it's better to have an accident in a foreign country where it's hard to verify the facts than in Korea.

Manager Kwak wrote down the name of Yoon Jay's high school on a piece of paper.

"If your former workplace is Wings Company, you must be from the special forces, right?"

"I was in the Navy SEALs for a little less than 10 years. It's not a dishonorable discharge."

"Oh. Isn't that a unit that's been in a lot of movies and games?"

"You must be good at action."

This has many advantages. The CEO and the Manager nodded in satisfaction. Manager Kwak continued.

"Did you often engage in social media activities?"

"I have one social media, but it's private because it's for contacting acquaintances."

"Do you mind if I check it out?"

Yoon Jay casually held out his phone to the two. There were no posts on the default profile picture.

"Good, good."

"You haven't been active in any online communities, have you? These days, they find everything you post on foreign sites."

"No, I haven't."

A muggle who doesn't do much online. That's good. There are plenty of celebrities who get into trouble on social media, so the company doesn't have to worry about this for now.

He doesn't drink much, and his military background means he keeps fit, so he'll be in good shape.

"Is there anything else unusual about you? Do you speak any languages other than English or Korean, or do you have any health issues we should know about, like allergies......"

"Well...... Aside from English and Korean, I speak probably eight languages."

"What?"

"I don't have any allergies, but maybe I have a camera phobia. I'd have to go in and check this out to find out......"

"What?"

If you speak 10 languages, shouldn't you be in the Foreign Ministry or the National Security Agency, not the entertainment industry?

Also, a guy who's supposed to be an actor has a camera phobia? Is he such a strong man from a special forces unit? He's already taken good profile pictures, right?

After a pause, Lee Seowon and Kwak Dohyun burst out laughing.

"Haha! You're good at jokes."

"It's funny because he doesn't look like that, right?"

I guess I'll just let them misunderstand. Yoon Jay laughed along with the two.


***

Satisfied with our translations?

Support SeiRei Translations by tipping on Ko-fi or Patreon.


***


Previous | Table of Contents | Next


***


What do you think about this chapter?