Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 224


 Once we finished talking with Gref, we decided to go back to the vacant house where the senpai and the others were.
 I informed him about the conversation I had had with Gref there and about the ruins that are said to be near this settlement. I am still not sure if this site has anything to do with Amako's prediction, but I have come to the conclusion that I should take a look at it.
 But——,

"I think we should not go there."

 Here Amako refused to allow us to go to the ruins.

"This foresight is strange in so many ways. No, my foresight magic itself may have been interfered with by someone or something."
"Are you talking about the beastfolk woman you were talking about before?"
"...Yeah"

 Judging from her reaction, it's not just a one-time dream, is it?
 If that's the case, it's getting suspicious in any way.
 If the foresight that Amako saw was manipulated by the woman, it is more natural to assume that we are being lured to those ruins.

"Fumu, entering your dreams. Nea, is that possible?"
"Sorcery would be possible. But there are almost no people who can handle sorcery nowadays, so I would say that there is no possibility of it. Ah, but an extraordinary being like Falga could do it, but that possibility is also zero."

 Nea answers senpai's question.
 At present, it may be difficult to find the cause of the anomaly that's happening to Amako's foresight magic.
 Once the flow of conversation stopped, Leona-san, who had been collecting her thoughts alone, quietly opened her mouth.

"The ruins where the Demon King and his subordinates were based before he was sealed away. In addition, if you hear that it is the place of the decisive battle between the previous generation of heroes and the Demon King, it's not that I'm not interested ... How could there be nothing in a place like that..."
"Indeed, it seems to have something to do with me and Senpai, too, doesn't it..."

 I wouldn't be surprised if something hero-related happened.
 Or rather, there is definitely something troublesome.

"I've been involved in and stuck my neck out in a lot of messes myself ...... But this time it smells like trouble."
""...!?""
"Hn?"

 I feel a strong gaze from Nea and Amako.
 When I looked at them, they looked at each other with a serious look on their faces.

"Nea, this is..."
"Yeah, this is bad."

 What is that exchange?
 Before I could ask that question, Nea turned to Leona-san.

"Leona, there is definitely something there. The fact that Usato is sensing trouble is more than enough."
"I-Is that so?"

 To Leona-san who tilted her head, Nea pointed at me.

"When you travel with this guy, there's a high probability you'll run into trouble."
"Oi, don't forget that you are one of the causes of that trouble."
"W-Well, what you're talking about"

 This little girl...!
 Nea, who averted her gaze while her voice trembled, and Amako, who was standing next to her, opened her mouth.

"... In some ways, Usato's tendency to encounter incidents may be more accurate than my foresight magic."
"Amako, don't you mistake me for some kind of plague god or something? Right?"

 It's not like I caused it, right?
 It just so happens that we've had a series of troubles in the countries and places we were headed to, you know?

"W-Well, it wasn't Usato's fault that he got involved in the mess, so I don't think it's anything to worry about?"
"Ka, Kazuki..."

 You are my only ally in this place...!
 Next to him, I do not look directly at the senpai who is muttering something disturbing like, " It looks like I would have fun if I were attached to Usato-kun."

"A-Anyway, even if we don't go inside, we should at least check out the exterior of the ruins first. Ferrum, do you know where the ruins are?"
"Yeah, I'll tell you later."
"Please. In some cases, there is the option of not going into the ruins and just walking through them. I don't know how that would affect Amako's foresight... But at the very least, it won't be dangerous."

 For now, Leona-san's idea is the safest.
 But what happens when we actually set foot inside the ruins?
 I can smell trouble, but I'm a little concerned about the "other hero's sword". It's closely related to my gauntlet, and above all, it's a powerful weapon that was probably used in the decisive battle against the Demon King.

"... Is it essential in the fight against the Demon King?"

 No, I don't think so.
 In the first place, the other sword is only for the previous hero.
 I don't think any of us can even use it now.


 At night, when everyone is asleep.
 I was on watch with Ferrum, who was on guard duty this time, and we were outside making a bonfire and keeping watch so that we could respond to any monsters that might enter the village.
 On my back, Blurin is sleeping quietly, and he serves as just the right amount of backrest.

"Ferrum, let's set a code word."
"Haa?"

 When I said that, Ferrum, who was sitting across from me with the campfire on the other side, looked aghast.

"What's the code word?"
"When I am assimilating with you, I may change the shape of my arms or extend a whip or something from my back. I feel that if I can transform myself by using short sentences without having to go to the trouble of explaining it, it will be possible to respond to various situations"

 Because I can't explain it one by one while we're moving.
 If I can get her to manipulate the black magic in one phrase, it will reduce the gap that much more.

"... You are unusually reasonable. Even though you usually do nothing but crazy things."

 The crazy things are unnecessary.

"First of all, right. If I say "arm mode," will you grow an arm out of my back?"
"Understood"
"Next, in "Defense Mode", make shields on both arms."
"...Understood"
"When I said "Full-Body Defense", covering the whole body with black magic like when we crossed the fire of the flying dragon."
"Ah, that one. Understood."
"If I say, "Koga Special!" I want you to make my right arm huge. You can also put some black magic around the fist to catch him so he doesn't get away ... so we can take him down with a single blow."
"Hold on"
"Eh?"

 Is there something wrong?
 Was the arm mode indeed too sharp in terms of naming?

"The name and everything is strange, but it's strange that there's a dedicated one for that stupid corps commander."
"No, it's only natural to take countermeasures against Koga, who takes the initiative to challenge me. That guy, in order to fight me, calmly threatens those around him as hostages..."
"Well, I honestly sympathize with you on that."

 I know he would not take such measures, but it is the evil nature of the demon tribe called Koga that makes me think that he might do it.
 He's not calling himself the worst personality just for the show.
 However, even though I find him troublesome, I don't hate Koga, the person he is. He was the same guy, and had a complicated upbringing just like Ferrum, so I couldn't hate him enough.
 Then, after deciding on a few code words, I suddenly remembered the foresight I had heard the other day.
 It is a foresight that I, along with Nea, might be able to perform an evolved technique of healing explosive wave...

"Is it a different technique than the development of the healing explosive wave I'm thinking of right now...?"

 Or is it the same thing?
 She didn't know what kind of technique it was because her foresight shifted before she saw the technique itself, ... but if the opportunity to use such a technique comes up, I'd better think about it just in case.

"...For now, should I consider a form for healing explosion wave?”

 By shaping a cannon-like projectile opening in my right arm with black magic power, it was like saying that I could fix the direction in which the impact would fly.
 The image is that of a fireworks display, or if I had to name it, an eight-foot healing bullet.
 It is a miracle technique that both looks good and has healing effects, scattering the magic of healing magic like an eight-foot ball of fireworks.
 ... Honestly, I don't know how much of a firework the eight-foot ball is, though.

"... Fuuh, maybe my imagination is outstanding."
"Outstanding? It's just crazy, right?"

 Y-You're noisy.
 However, there is room for improvement in this healing explosive wave.
 Rather, due to the elasticity grant and Ferrum's black magic, I can feel nothing but possibilities.
 To try it out, I create elasticity-granted magic with my right gauntlet, transfer it to my left hand, and then create a magic bullet in my right hand.

"If I use elasticity grant on the explosive wave... then on top of that with dark magic ... and the healing flying fist ... Wait, here I can apply Nea's spells of restraint and resistance..."
"U-Uwaah... Hn?"

 Seeing me doing this and that with the magic bullets in my palm, Ferrum is flabbergasted.
 As I continued to concentrate on the task at hand, Ferrum suddenly had a startled expression on her face, was enveloped in her own dark magic, and assimilated into me through the ground.
 In an instant, I was transformed into a demon tribe, and with surprise, I called out to her, who had been assimilated.

"What's wrong?"
『Someone came out of the house where Gref and the others are!』
"What? At this hour?"

 When I look back while putting my hand on Bluerin on my back, I see a figure approaching me with slightly unsteady steps.
 I judged who it was from its height and vaguely visible outline, and called out to the figure ———Keira, as I put away the gauntlet that had been deployed to hide it.

"Keira, what's wrong?"
"I just woke up. Usato-san, why are you awake?"
"I'm the lookout. There's no guarantee that monsters won't attack under the cover of darkness."

 There's nothing wrong with being honest here.
 In fact, that's exactly what it is.
 However, Keira looked around and then returned her gaze to me quizzically.

"Umm... Usato-san... were you talking to someone?"
"!"

 Did she see that I was talking to Ferrum through the window?
 No, from that angle, the body of Ferrum should be hidden by the body of Blurin.
 The only thing that was seen would be me having a conversation with someone.
 Fortunately, it seems that she doesn't know that I myself am a human by the light of the bonfire.

"Hahaha, I was talking to this guy."

 To deceive, I put my hand on the sleeping Blurin.

"...Eh? I-It's not a blanket!? A-A monster!?"
"Let me introduce him. This is my partner, Blurin. Well, he fell asleep just now."

 When I tapped it lightly, Blurin makes a faint cry of "gufu".
 Smiling wryly at the situation, I move my seat a little and encourage Keira to sit down.

"It will be cold if you stand. You should sit down."
"T-Thank you very much"

 Glancing at the sleeping Blurin, she sits down on the spot where I was sitting and leans her back against him.

"...It's warm"
"Gruah..."
"Hih..."
"It's okay, it's okay. He won't hurt anyone, so don't worry about it."

 I call out to her and reassure her when she is frightened by the flinching Blurin.
 When she regains her composure, I ask her why she got up at this hour.

"Have you not slept well?"
"I had a little scary dream..."
"A scary dream, huh?"

 It reminds me of the time with Eva.
 In reality, though, it was the story of her mother and the previous Samariar rulers who protected her when she was being blamed by the souls bound to Samariar.

"You got a scary experience during the day. It can't be helped but dream about it."
"...Yes"

 Keira hangs her head as if discouraged.
 I guess I shouldn't ask what kind of dream that is. Let's change the subject.

"You said you wanted me to teach you how to use dark magic?"
"Yes"
"Why?"

 When I asked that, Keira replied while confused.

"My dark magic doesn't listen to me."
"Doesn't listen ...?"
『It's common for dark magic users at this age. The dark magic has become a direct reflection of the user's emotions.』

 Hearing Ferrum's voice whispering, I throw in appropriate words in a conversation.
 Instead of moving with thought, did it move with emotion?

"I can manipulate them to some extent. But when I'm angry, or when I'm feeling faint of heart ......, or when I'm being lied to it starts to work on its own."
"Lie?"
"... Ah, no, it's nothing."

 Keira holds her mouth tightly, as if she doesn't want to talk about it.
 Maybe that's what Gref-san was talking about, Keira's situation.
 I'd prefer not to pursue it here as poorly as I did with the dream story.

"I can't wait to make my magic my own. If I don't do that, I'm going to cause a lot of trouble for Gref and the others."
"A trouble? Does that mean you would hurt them?"
"That's part of it, but it's natural for people to be creeped out by a dark magic user like me. If they know I can't handle that..."

 Naturally, huh?
 I thought I understood the circumstances of dark magic users, but it seems that the environment surrounding them is worse than I had imagined.
 Instead, it may just be that a forward-looking dark magic user like Ferrum and Koga is rare.
 I put my hand over my mouth in a thoughtful gesture and whisper to Ferrum.

"Ferrum, how do you see it?"
『This kid is consciously trying to keep the magic away from herself. If she's not careful, it could get worse.』
"If that happens, what will happen?"
『It will leave her will and goes out of control. That's exactly what magic is like. Even though the magic was originally hers, she's aware that it's not hers, so it transforms like that.』
"..."

 Dark magic is magic that is affected by the emotions of the user.
 Now, that thought just popped into my head here.

『We could leave her alone, but I'll leave that up to you. I'll at least give you some advice if you want to help.』

 I thought Ferrum was not being honest when she said so bluntly, and removed the hand that was covering her mouth.
 Keira gives me a quizzical look as I was silent from the side.

"Usato-san...? Um, if it bothers you, you can decline..."
"Sorry. I've been thinking about something. About teaching you how to handle dark magic... I'll take it."
"Eh... Are you sure?"
"Only for a short time, though."

 The duration would be really short, maybe two days at most.
 In the meantime, we have to give this child the opportunity, if not the solution, to the problem.
 As I make up my mind to do so, Keira, looking as anxious as ever, looks at me over the campfire. At that moment, Ferrum and I notice that something unusual is happening in her shadow.

"Really... what is it?"

 Her shadow is swaying, as if to express the anxiety and exhilaration of her heart.
 Keira herself did not notice this, but looked at me intently and spoke the rest of the words.
 Her eyes, faintly reflected ——— in the flickering flames of the bonfire, seemed to have the same writhing darkness as her own shadow.

"———It's not a lie, is it?"

 It is approaching, avoiding the light of the campfire, crawling on the ground with octopus-like movements to surround me.
 It did not appear to be trying to attack me, but it was clear that it was moving independently of her will.

『Usato. Isn't this bad?』
"... Fuh"

 It's been so long I forgot about it...!!
 The people I encounter in my travels have a high probability of having some kind of problem...!!
 Thinking that what Nea and Amako were saying might be correct, I couldn't help but want to cry.