Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you~

Chapter 2 | The City He Stepped On | Remake our Life!


Part 1

"I apologize for the suddenness."

As soon as we left the coffee shop, the old man bowed his head.

"Ah, no, not like that."

"That store owner is a good-natured guy and is quick to say things like that. If it really bothers you, I'll leave. ...What do you think?"

We were not bothered, but we didn't feel comfortable treating the old man in this way. Nanako and I looked at each other and nodded lightly,

"It's no inconvenience to us, please guide us..."

When I responded, the old man's expression relaxed faintly,

"I understand. So once again, let's start with an introduction to the city, even if it's just a walk."

After clearing my throat, we slowly walked away.

We follow along and start to walk beside him.

"First of all, do you know the word Koedo?"

"Yes, it was on a billboard in front of the station, and also in a pamphlet."

The old man nodded,

"Originally, Kawagoe was a castle town of the Kawagoe Domain, which was the parent domain of the Kawagoe family during the Edo period. The name "Koedo" came about because of the town's close ties to Edo."

I had a vague idea of what an Edo-like town it was, but this was the first time I knew it had such a connection with Edo.

“In the early days of the Meiji era, the city was trying to preserve the atmosphere of the streets that had been created by that time, and this urban area of Kawagoe was born.” (Note: 1868-1912)

According to the old man, there are many buildings in this area that are 100 to 200 years old and are still in use as actual stores and other facilities.

(I guess I'm getting interested a bit, too)

I originally liked walking around a town with this kind of atmosphere, and even though I would take time to think about Tsurayuki later, I felt that it would be okay to follow his guidance for the time being.

"First of all, let's start with this. This is Taisho Roman Dream Street."

When I looked around, I found that the area was indeed filled with buildings with an atmosphere reminiscent of the Taisho Era (1912-1926).

"Originally, this area was an arcade district with a Showa-era atmosphere, but the policy was changed in the Heisei era. The old buildings were preserved, and new buildings were renovated in the Taisho style to create the streetscape you see here."

At first glance, the building may appear to be a bare concrete building with a rugged impression, but the roof and windows have a sophisticated design that uses curves. It would have been quite a feat if the building had been designed to match the impression of the street.

As we walked leisurely down the street, the man explained one after another what that store sold and the history of that building. As one would expect from the president of a tourist association, there was nothing he didn't know about this town.

However, if we are going around famous places like this, no matter how much time we have, it won't be enough... or so I thought, and called out to Nanako.

"What should I do, tell the old man somewhere and say goodbye..."

When I looked at Nanako, she had taken out a tourist information pamphlet she had received at the hotel and was staring at something intently.

She is very concentrated. She seems to be mumbling and reading something that is written on the page.

"Nanako?"

I called out to her again,

"Ha! W-W-W-What is it, Kyouya?"

Nanako was too obviously flustered.

The pamphlet she had been reading earlier was hidden behind her back. I wondered if there was something she didn't want me to see, and she was trying to put it away in her pocket.

"... Look at something?"

"No! Not at all!"

I'm sure you saw something, I don't know what it was, though.

Since it wasn't something I wanted to pursue, I just shut up there,

"Come on, let's go! The old man already went ahead of us!"

She said as if to deceive me and walked quickly toward the old man who was walking ahead of us.

"What was she looking at...?"

Sensing Nanako's intentions, as in the incident at the hotel yesterday, I followed them for the time being.

The sightseeing in Kawagoe, which had begun unexpectedly, seemed to continue.


Previous | Table of Contents | Next