Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

1, There’s No Way A Side Character Like Me Could Be Popular, Right?

 My life so far has been the absolute worst.

 ―I think that I am less pessimistic about the past like that these days.
 My world changed dramatically when I entered high school and met the protagonist of this world, Ike Haruma.

 Now that more than a year has passed since I met Ike, I clearly think so.

 Ike Touka, my "fake" lover.
 Hasaki Kana, my former best friend, who told me how much she liked me straightforwardly.
 Asakura Yoshito, who treats me as a normal friend and a normal person, is a really appreciated person for me.
 Kai Rekka, a cute junior who has come to completely respect me.

 And Makiri Chiaki-sensei, who was always there to help me out.
 I learned that the dignified and beautiful Makiri-sensei had an unexpectedly clumsy and cute side.
 If I have been able to repay her in any way ― I am honestly happy.

 Thanks to them, I had the most fulfilling summer vacation of my life so far.
 After all, I was even able to participate in a student council camp, which sounds like a youthful event.

 I have a good relationship with Tanaka-senpai and Suzuki, who are also student council officers.

 ―But.
 There is only one girl who bumps into me every time.

 That girl ― the vice president of the student council, Tatsumiya Otome, surely hates me.
 Why does he hate me? ... Unfortunately, I have pretty rotten ideas.

 As the vice-president of the student council, she may be wary of my poor behavior during my first year.
 It may be related to the fact that she was robbed of the second place in the grade after Ike in the academic ability test.
 She likes Ike, but she may not like the fact that me, the troublemaker, is next to him.
 She also likes Ike's sister Touka, and she might not like the fact that I'm her boyfriend (It's fake, though). 

 ...Anyway, even though I was hated like that, I couldn’t dislike Tatsumiya no matter what.
    
 As Kai once was, so is Tatsumiya.
 Instead of trying to beat me behind my back, she's being downright hostile.
 
 I seem to have a tendency to gravitate toward people like that.
 I thought so, as if it were someone else's problem.




 One day, summer vacation was over.

 Tatsumiya, with a thoughtful expression on her face, opened her mouth while turning her moist eyes toward me.

"I really ... like you"

 The way her cheeks are dyed red with embarrassment and her small hands clutch the hem of her school uniform skirt ... it's as if she's confessing her feelings to me.


"... I know"


 I responded to her words.
 Tatsumiya's cheeks were blushing from embarrassment, and she looked at me with a weak but expectant gaze.
 Seeing her worried expression, I nodded once.

 Tatsumiya's face broke into a happy smile when she saw my reaction, and she was very cute.

“... In that case, Tomoki-san. You know what I mean, right?”

 I nodded heavily at Tatsumiya's words.
 I'm aware of her fondness.
 And what she might be looking for.


"Yeah, I know."


 ―No way a side character like me could be popular, I thought.

 Hearing my reply, Tatsumiya gives a big smile with joy in her heart.
 Then she opened her lips.














“If so, then... You will help me to have a relationship with Kaichou, right!?”





















 I nodded with a straight face at Tatsumiya, who told me the obvious line.
 
"I don't know what I can do, but I will help you. I promise."

 After hearing my words, Tatsumiya looks relieved, and then continues with a dumbfounded expression on her face.
























"Originally, the royal road is I was supposed to be making Kaichou fall in love with me, and have him pledge his life-long love to me. But once this happens, is it only a matter of time before Kaichou will be holding me in his surprisingly strong arms and whispering words of love in my ear. That's kind of nice, isn't it. No, as expected, I don't intend to allow beyond that point, but... What should I do if Kaichou really wants me...? A flower on a high peak is something that people want strongly because they cannot get it. I still think I should be very hard-hearted and say no, but... Just for reference, what do you think, Tomoki-san?"
























 Tatsumiya, who mutters ridiculously fast and incomprehensible words, and then asks me a question I don't quite understand.
 I could hardly understand what she was saying, but,

"Yeah... That's it!"

 I answered carelessly.
 

 Uwwah, so troublesome...


 And, inwardly, I draw back normally―.