Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Trigger


 Then I began to look forward to going to my grandparents' house for summer vacation, which had been a depressing experience.

 As we moved up through the third and fourth grades, we still met again, as we had promised, and we spent many happy summers together.

 Only a few show up at relative gatherings.
 Yet there were years when I was the only one who stayed at my grandmother's house, where other family members stayed only a few days, for about two weeks by myself.

 As usual, I didn't get along with the other kids, but I played with Yuu-kun and got along with him so well that it didn't matter.


 By that time, I had come to think of Yuu-kun as a friend as important as Haruma and Touka-chan, despite the short time we spent together.


 And... An incident that triggered a change in this feeling occurred during the summer vacation of the fifth grade of elementary school.




 As usual, I was waiting for Yuu-kun at the park where we were meeting.
 On that day, Yuu-kun happened to arrive later than usual.

 There were boys who unusually approached me when I was alone.

"You guys are always together as strangers, but you don't really get along with each other, do you?"

 It was that well-built boy who was there when Yuu-kun and I first met who said that with a smirk and a nasty smile on his face.

 Now in upper elementary school, he was much bigger than he had been then.

"You're just hanging out with the ones who are out of the group and you don't like each other."

"You're a lonely bunch"

 I ignored what the boys said.
 I didn't know what he meant by that, and it just irritated me to hear it.

"What the hell you! Don't ignore me!"

 One boy yelled at me.
 Surprised, I stared at him silently.

"What a cheeky guy... But I actually have a good deal for you."

 A big boy, with a nasty look on his face, continues.

"If you tell that evil-eyed bastard, "I'm not playing with you anymore!" and hit him, and we'll make you one of us!"

 That boy smiles happily.
 I had no idea what he meant, and all I could do was give him a dubious look.

"You're threatened by that guy to get along with him, aren't you? I can tell by the look on that guy's face that he's a violent man."

"I used to be scared of him because he was so strong in fights, but I don't need to be afraid of that guy anymore!"

"If you hit that guy, I'll make you one of us. Then we'll protect you."

 At that time, Yuu-kun was not yet as large as he is now, and was of average height.
 On the other hand, the well-built boys were almost as tall as the adults.
 They probably thought they could win now and tried to get revenge for the old days.

"I have lost fights in the past, but I can win now. We don't need friendless ruffians like that in our town! You think so, too, right."

 With that said, he grabs me roughly by the shoulders.
 I was intensely angry at the boy who, without knowing anything about Yuu-kun, spoke ill of him as he pleased.

 I shake off the hand on my shoulder and then vigorously shove the boy away before saying.

"Don't say anything bad about Yuu-kun!"

 A big boy who was pushed and lost his balance.
 He looks as if he does not know what was done or said to him.
 Perhaps I really was under the impression that I was only befriending Yuu-kun because I was threatened.

"You did it!"

 After a short pause, the boy understood what was being done to him, his face turned red, and he became angry.

"Kya!"

 He grabs my hair forcefully.
 It hurt so much that I couldn't help but react.

"Kya! She said that!"

"I knew he was an okama!" (Note: effeminate man)

"Ueh, that's disgusting!"

 Then the boys laugh at me, making fun of me.

"I-I'm not okama!"

 When I say this, the boys grin and laugh.

"It's a lie! You're definitely okama!"

"I mean, do you really have a p〇nis?"

"Hey, let's check it out!"

 I froze at the words of the boy who laughed mischievously and mockingly.

"Me and Atsushi will grab his hands, and Kaito can take off his pants and underpants."

"Uh, why do I have to look at this guy's d〇ck up close and personal, Futtei do it?"

 A well-built boy called Futtei commands two of his cronies.
 A boy called Kaito rejects it.

"Just do it!"

"Uwaa, that's dirty"

 I was caught in between the two of them, and in front of me was Kaito with a disgusted look on his face.

 Unable to resist, I became very scared, imagining what they were going to do to me.
 I didn't want to, I didn't want them to do that to me.
 Unable to stay strong, I burst into tears.

"Uuh, stop it, don't do that."

 The boys laughed mockingly, as if they enjoyed my crying.

"Oi, this okama is crying!"

"Uwaa, crybaby and wimp, so lame."

 Kaito tried to put his hand on my pants.
 At that moment I cried out involuntarily.

"Help me, Yuu-kun!"

 There is no way that help could appear so conveniently.
 That's what I thought.
 However…….

"What are you doing! Don't bully my best friend!"

 As if in response to my cry, Yuu-kun suddenly appeared on the spot!
 Then, after yelling, he hit Kaito.

Kite screams briefly, "Ugya," and then collapses.

 The other two looked at each other for a moment, but quickly grasped the situation.

"Kaito! Are you okay !?"

"You got it, outsider! I'll blow you away!"

 The boy called Atsushi took his hand away from me and ran to Kaito that was blown away.
 A well-built boy named Futtei lunged toward Yuu-kun.

Yuu-kun stands in front of Futei, who shouts "Ugah!".
 He easily dodged a fist that was vigorously unleashed,

"You bully my best friend and I won't take it easy on you!"

 He shouted and slammed his fist into Futtei's face.

 Futtei cried out, "Gyah, it hurts!" and then fell straight onto his back.

 Atsushi helped Kaito up, then took Futei's crying hand and helped him to stand up.

"Da*mn, remember this!"

 After saying that, they ran away from the place.
 It all happened very quickly after Yuu-kun arrived.

 They ran away with their tails between their legs, not even looking in their direction,

"Natsuo, you're ruining your good looks by crying."

 Yuu-kun tells me with a smile.
 I tried to answer it, but I couldn't get the words right.

"I-I'm not crying"

 I was trying hard to wipe away my tears with my stubbornness.
 Yuu-kun turned her gentle gaze on me and then questioned me,

"... Still, it's rare for you to get involved."

 He muttered so.

"Because they said bad things about Yuu-kun. I told them not to say bad things about you, and I stood up to them."

 When I told him this, Yuu-kun smiled happily and then,

"That's so. Thank you."

 He said.

"But Natsuo is a crybaby and weak, so don't be reckless."

 Then he headed off to me and continued.

"I will get angry when my friends are mocked, even if it's reckless."

 When I said this, Yuu-kun narrowed his eyes and laughed.

"Those guys, if I see them again, I'll beat them up again and tell them never to bully Natsuo again."

 Yuu-kun looked back at the boys who had just run away, and then said that.
 It was a reliable word. I thought it was cool.
 Thank you, I tried to say that to Yu-kun, but I couldn't do it.

"Uwaa, it's dangerous, Natsuo!"

 Because after Yuu-kun said that, he suddenly hugged me as if he was protecting me.
 He suddenly hugged me and I went blank.
 Only the heat of Yuu-kun's body left an impression on me.

 I heard a dull thud, and then, "Uwaa, oh no, run!" Atsushi's voice reached me!
 What's that sound? What's happened?
 With that thought in mind, I noticed some red liquid spilled at my feet.
 ...... It was "blood".

"Eh?"

 When I raised my head, I saw that Yu-kun was covered in blood under his eyes.
 Nearby, a stone with blood on it had also fallen.

 I bet Atsushi threw this stone.
 And Yuu-kun covered for me when it was about to hit me.

 When I realized that, my blood boiled.

"Yuu-kun, are you okay! Hospital, we have to go to the hospital!"

"Ouch ouch, you're right, I'm going to go to the hospital for a while. But don't worry, I'll be fine, it doesn't hurt that bad!"

 Yuu-kun responded with a reassuring smile on his face to my tearful and grieving face.
 It must have been very painful.
 I should be the one who has to reassure him.

 He kept helping me and I felt very pathetic about myself.


 But even if nothing I can do.
 In order not to leave this gentle friend alone, I accompanied him to the hospital.


 Then the days of not seeing each other continued.
 Did he get tired of a pathetic person like me?
 At a time when I was starting to think such sad thoughts,

"Grandpa told me not to go outside until I got the stitches out. Sorry, Natsuo."

 Yuu-kun, who had stitches under his eyes, and I were able to meet again.
 I was relieved that he did not hate me, but felt sorry for the scars I had caused.

"Yuu-kun was hurt because you defended me. .... I'm sorry."

 At my words, Yuu-kun smiles and then replies with his chest puffed out.

"I like this scar because it proves that I protected my friend! So don't worry about it Natsuo!"

"But……"

"Besides, if a handsome guy like Natsuo has scars, wouldn't you feel sorry for your future girlfriend?"

 Yuu-kun smiles at me.
 Seeing his smile, I somehow felt pain in my chest.
 Not only do I feel sorry, but there are other emotions swirling around as well.

 What kind of feeling is this?
 I was still very young and didn't understand it right away.

"What’s wrong?"

 Yuu-kun asks, peering into my face.
 But why do I also feel pain and tightness in my chest?
 At this time, I didn't understand the reason.
 Therefore, I smiled vaguely,

"No, I'm fine. ... Besides, there is no way I could ever have a girlfriend."

 Because I'm a girl even with this.
 ... I couldn't continue to do this, though.



 And that summer, I played as much as I could for the days I couldn't see him because of his injury.

 When I am with Yuu-kun, I feel so happy, joyful, and sweet.
 But each time I did, my chest tightened and I felt pain.
 What in the world is wrong with me?

 That's what I thought at first――.

 On the day I parted with him that year, I realized how I felt.

 As usual, we played as much as we could, and the sun was beginning to set.

"I had a great time today! Thanks for everything, Natsuo! I won't see you again for a while, but we'll meet again next summer vacation at this place!"

 Yu-kun said with a happy smile on his face.

 Yes, we won't see each other for a while, from tomorrow until next year.
 It made me so lonely.
 ...... No, I will miss him, as I always do.
 But until now, I thought that if I went home, I could play with Haruma and Touka-chan.

 But this time it was different.
 My chest tightened, and I was so shocked and distressed that I would not be able to see him for a while.

 I looked at his smiling face, wondering why.  
 A scar on his eyes is proof of protecting me.
 I'm very sorry, but I saw it and thought it was cool.
 I felt very happy.

 And then I remembered that situation with the hug, and my head almost started to boil――.

 The feelings I have for him and the feelings I have for Haruma and Touka-chan are two completely different things.
 I finally realized.


"What's wrong?"

 My eyes met perfectly with Yuu-kun, who looked at me with concern.

 Once I realized how I felt, I could never have behaved the same way.

"I-It's nothing! Well, see you next year!"

 My face was hot.
 Realizing that I was turning bright red, I hurriedly turned my face away.

 Yuu-kun was so cool that I could no longer look him straight in the eye.

 Yuu-kun tilted his head curiously at my attitude, but didn't think too much about it.

"Oh, see you again!"

 Yuu-kun smiled brightly and waved his hand at me, who was acting strangely.



 And so we returned to our respective homes, promising to meet again the next year during summer vacation.




 As it turns out, that promise was not fulfilled.

 ――I could not go to see him, whom I loved.