Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 16, Tomoki-sensei

 

 With the student council members, Touka and I in the car, the atmosphere was peaceful.

 Especially Tatsumiya, who seemed to be very happy talking to Ike and Touka.

 Ike responded with a smile, and Touka responded with a salty smile.

 Nevertheless, undaunted, Tatsumiya spoke to Touka.

 She seems to have a moderately strong mentality.

 

 As for me, I occasionally talked to Makiri-sensei as a distraction and exchanged a few words with her.

 

 After about two hours like that, the car exited the highway and headed up the mountain road.

 

"It's about time. ...... Good job, everyone. We're almost at our destination."

 

 At Makiri-sensei's words, we looked out the window.

 Our destination this time was a renovated elementary school in the mountains of a certain prefecture.

 

 A minivan is parked in the parking lot, which used to be the schoolyard.

 We got out of the car and headed for the school building, each with our own luggage.

 

"It's a very rural area... Or rather~, it's a mountain~"

 

"I guess so. I heard the nearest convenience store is a 30-minute drive away."

 

"Uwaa, it's bad"

 

 As I was talking about this with Touka walking next to me, we reached the school building.

 There was an old man there who looked like a nice person. He was probably a staff member of this place.

 

"Welcome, I'm Yamamoto, a staff member of the "Nature School Mikura". There are a few of us, but I'll be the one mainly working with you, best regards.... Oya, only the students? Where's your teacher?"

 

 Said the old man, Yamamoto-san, looked confused.

 Then he looked at me and was startled.

 

"O-Oh. I was told that a female teacher would be leading the group, but I guess the life guidance teacher came due to an urgent matter? No, but that doesn't mean there's a problem, I look forward to working with you."

 

 Yamamoto-san said to me with a frightened expression on his face.

 

 At those words, everyone but Makiri-sensei spouts out.

 Seeing Yamamoto-san's confusion, I said.

 

"No, I'm not a teacher."

 

"Eh?"

 

 To Yamamoto-san had a puzzled look on his face,

 

"I am the one who is leading these students, Makiri. It's nice to meet you."

 

 Makiri-sensei says in a firm tone of voice, albeit with a smile on her face.

 I'm sure she was shocked to be mistaken for a student.

 

"...No, Indeed, for a teacher, you seemed quite young, but Makiri-sensei was very young too. When you're an old man, it's hard to tell the difference between a teacher who just graduated from college and a high school student. I am sorry for the rudeness."

 

 Ahaha, with no sign of displeasure, Yamamoto-san continued with a laugh.

 

"Then, I'll give you a quick map of the facility, and you can drop your stuff off in your rooms."

 

 A piece of paper is handed to me.

 The boys were in the old 1-1 room on the first floor, the three girls were in the old 2-1 room on the second floor, and Makiri-sensei was placed in the 2-2 room.

 

"... Then, let's put our bags in our rooms, use the bathroom, and reconvene here in 15 minutes."

 

 And that's what Makiri-sensei said, still unhappy about being treated like a student.

 We did as she said and put our bags in our respective rooms.

 For the record, there was no mention of the fact that I was considered a teacher.

 Ike is completely as usual, and Tanaka-senpai gives us a gentle look.

 I know they are not the kind of members who would make fun of me for a story, but if they don't say anything, that's embarrassing.

 

 With that in mind, the three of us returned to the place we had just left. Yamamoto-san was there, looking at my face, freaked out once and then ahaha laughed affectionately.

 He didn't look overtly uncomfortable, which makes me think that he's an ordinary, though appropriate, person.

 The girls and Makiri-sensei arrived at the meeting place a little later than we did.

 

"Now, everyone's here. Let's get started. We're going to have a walk rally."

 

 Makiri-sensei said after confirming that everyone was present.

 Then Yamamoto-san handed us a piece of paper again.

 He went on and started to explain.

 

" You will be divided into two teams, and for each checkpoint, on the map, you have just been given, you will be given a task. You will be asked to solve the task and come back to this place again. By the way, the set time is one and a half hours. This is not a time limit, so the key is how close to the hour and a half you can get back. Of course, there are points assigned for the assignments, so please work hard to solve them."

 

 This was as described in the documents we had received beforehand.

 To make sure we don't know the time, Makiri-sensei will take care of our smartphones, clocks, or anything else we can check the time on later.

 

"So, about the grouping. The four of you from the student council should be together. The main purpose of this camp is to improve your cooperation."

 

"Ah, so that means the other is just me and senpai?"

 

 It was Touka who asked Yamamoto-san.

 

"No, I will accompany you two."

 

 The one who said that was, to my surprise, Makiri-sensei.

 

"……That's so"

 

 It was Touka who said, somewhat bored.

 

"So, do you have any questions? If not, would you mind leaving your phone and watch?"

 

 They all nodded at Makiri-sensei's words and placed them in the pouch she had prepared.

 

"Then, the student council team will start clockwise around the school. Counterclockwise, the Makiri-sensei team will start. I'll give you the signal in a minute, and you can go."

 

 After saying that, Yamamoto-san looked down at the stopwatch in his left hand.

 

"Pleased to work with you~, senpai, Makiri-sensei?"

 

"Ou"

 

"Pleasure to work with you, too."

 

 Touka's words were answered by me and Makiri-sensei, and then...

 

"Okay, then start!"

 

 With Yamamoto-san's statement, the walk rally began.

 

"See you later"

 

 Ike said to us, and I nodded my head in agreement.

 It's a little game to strengthen friendship and cooperation.

 Let's just relax and get on with it.

 I guess Touka thinks so too, as she walks next to me with a cheerful smile on her face.

 She then called out to Makiri-sensei.

 

"Makiri-sensei, you're not wearing your usual suit, and your makeup is more natural than usual, so you look younger! It looks like it's safe to wear a sailor uniform."

 

 Makiri-sensei in a sailor uniform...

 I want to see it a little.

 As I was thinking this, Makiri-sensei let out a deep sigh and then said.

 

"Don't you think it's rude to talk that to a teacher, Ike-san?"

 

"Eh~, wouldn't you be happier if you looked younger~?"

 

"When you go out into society, looking young is not always a good thing. Some people would insult you just because you're young."

 

 …… Is that why Makiri-sensei usually wears mature make-up and a perfect suit? That's what I thought.

 

"Aren’t they just jealous, those people?"

 

 In response to the nonchalant Touka's words, Makiri-sensei gave her a surprisingly gentle look before saying.

 

"No, it was too early for you guys. Don't worry about it."

 

 Touka replied, "Ye~s."

 While we were doing this, we arrived at the first checkpoint.

 The place is a shrine. There is a sign in front of the torii gate at the top of the stairs that says the task is there.

 We climbed the stairs and check the contents of the sign.

 

How many steps were there on the stairs you just climbed?

 

 The task itself was simple.

 We counted the number of steps as we descended and wrote it down on a blank piece of paper.

 Will these challenges continue?

 If that's the case, it's not like it's going to increase our ability to work together ...... I thought. But I also thought that if we kept walking for an hour and a half with a purpose, our cooperation might naturally increase.

 

 We decided to head for the next checkpoint.

 

"By the way, this is a continuation of the conversation earlier. I can see why senpai is mistaken for a teacher."

 

 Touka says, peeking at my expression mischievously.

 

"... I wonder if I'm that old?"

 

 All I cared about was that my face was scary, so I never even bothered to see if I looked old.

 So I'm trembling, thinking that maybe I had more of an old man's face than I thought,

 

"It's not like that, senpai has a calm and mature atmosphere. So, although your face itself is not old, I guess it made you look older than you are?"

 

"...Are you complimenting me?"

 

"I'm very~ complimenting you ♡"

 

 Touka said after a mischievous smile on her face.

 

 

"Or rather, Tomoki-sensei. Just thinking about it makes me laugh~."

 

""Eh!?""

 

 

 Then, when Touka's words continued, me and Makiri-sensei reacted at the same time. ……reacted.

 

"W-What are you so surprised about, both of you?"

 

 Touka asked in surprise.

 I made eye contact with a flustered Makiri-sensei.

 ...... I can't speak for others, but sensei, can't you put on a poker face a little?

 And making eye contact instantly.

 

 For now, we'll keep it a secret and see how it goes.

 

 Even if Touka finds out about Makiri-sensei, she will not speak out, so I think there will be no problem.

 However, telling the truth might damage the honor of Makiri-sensei.

 Or rather, definitely hurt.

 In order not to destroy the trust that Makiri-sensei has built up as a teacher, I said to Touka.

 

"Touka, do you think I'm not suitable to be a teacher? I'm sure I'll win the popularity of the students with my witty and humorous lessons."

 

"Eh? ...Senpai, are you okay? Just make sure you stay hydrated, okay? If it's too hard, let's take a break, okay?"

 

 …… For some reason, Touka had to worry about me.

 I don't know why, but my current logical armor would have been perfect if I could have meditated the fact that I'm not a good communicator.

 When I was agitated, Makiri-sensei was quick to give a follow-up.

 

"Right, if Tomoki-kun becomes a teacher, the students would probably be so scared at first that he might not be able to teach."

 

"Right? Senpai, really, what are you talking about, are you okay?"

 

 Or so I thought, but it wasn't a follow-up at all.

 Touka looked at me with a serious concern, which made me feel kind of bad.

 Makiri-sensei~... In my heart, I said in despair,

 

"...But Tomoki-sensei, though clumsy, seems like he's going to be a good teacher who thinks about his students sincerely."

 

 Makiri-sensei continued, looking somewhat embarrassed.

 No, it's kind of embarrassing for me, too...

 

"Indeed, Tomoki-sensei seems to be very considerate of his students! But somehow... Makiri-sensei, aren’t you really feeling it?"

 

 After saying that, Touka gave me and Makiri-sensei suspicious glances alternately, and then said.

 I guess I'm getting caged in, I thought, as Makiri-sensei let out a single sigh and then replied to Touka.

 

"What are you talking about? Of course, I really feel it. If I look at the relationship between you and Tomoki-kun. He's sincere, caring, and kind.... I'll understand immediately."

 

 Makiri-sensei gives Touka a gentle look.

 When Touka was told this, her cheeks turned red, and then,

 

"...Exactly, I guess"

 

 She replied shyly, averting her gaze.

 

 Somehow she managed to cover up the fact that she had reacted to "Tomoki-sensei".

 I thought to myself, "As expected of Makiri-sensei" and looked at her profile.

 

 She gave me a thumbs up so that Touka wouldn't notice.

 

 ――Let's try not to show that kind of gap as much as possible, I thought with a puzzled look on my face.

Previous | Table of Contents | Next