Chapter 4 We Desire a Form


Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive.

Part 5

"Eh, so I just make it almost exactly like this?"

    Nanako raises a surprised voice.

"Yeah. Of course, you can't copy the melody, so it's just the atmosphere."

    Open the text with the sample background music and the rough progression.

    Until now, I had only given text instructions to Nanako, and the sample songs were mostly for "reference only".

    However, as I found her struggling with some of the songs, I made the decision to be more specific in my instructions.

"It may be hard to say that it is a complete original of Nanako, but... I'd like to request this in this state, given the deadline. Is that okay?"

    I asked her how she was doing,

"It's okay. It will be fun to make it look like this, and I'm totally fine with it."

    Surprisingly, she was lightly convinced.

"Thank you. I leave it to you."

    I bowed down and reordered the rest of the songs.

"Eh, are you going to change the composition?"

    When Shinoaki saw the revised designation, she was as surprised as Nanako.

"Yeah, we're about to finish the job, so... Priority rush."

    I also made significant revisions to the event picture specifications that I had submitted to Shinoaki.
Originally, I didn't show Shinoaki the sample CG, but explained only the situation I wanted and left the composition and cropping instructions to her.

    However, as Shinoaki was trying to pursue something that was difficult or interesting in terms of composition, each picture took more and more time.

    So, I decided to give instructions on the level of composition.

    The ones that took a long time to draw, such as "low angle" and "high-angle view," were greatly removed, and the ones that were slightly swung to the side from the right side, or the ones that were just solidly from the side as they were, or the ones that were cut straight on.

    I also used a lot of close-ups. Pulled images require a lot of work, and in some cases, I had to order the backgrounds separately from Yamashina-san. I wanted to avoid that if at all possible.

"There are many compositions that look similar, but... is this okay?"

    Shinoaki questioned, looking a little uneasy.

"Yes, it's better to draw a full face rather than a full body, because it's better to make a strong expression at the end."

    I wasn't lying, but I couldn't avoid sounding like an excuse.

    However, in terms of the overall quality of the game, the number of cards is a major selling point, as well as the quality of the CG, and it was not a good idea to reduce the number of cards any further.

"So, I want you to draw with this designation... Is it okay?"

    It was a bit of a forced request, though.

"Yeah, sure. I'll do as Kyouya-kun says. I'll try it now."

"... Thank you, Shinoaki"

    Now then... the biggest challenge is from now on.


"...You want me to write exactly like this?"

    Tsurayuki's voice seemed to tremble somewhere.

    The most significant change we made throughout the game was in the scenario. We changed the originally intended sub-routes, and cut out the horror and unusual battle routes.

    Instead, I drew up a detailed plot. It was originally a tentative idea that I brushed up on in case it didn't work. It wasn't particularly interesting, but it gave the characters strength and at least gave them something to show.

    I had even outlined the daily part of the conversation so that he wouldn't get lost in the writing process. If he wrote according to this, the thinking part should have been minimal.

    However.

"Hey, that... is there really any point in me making that...?"

    I knew that would be the question that would naturally come up.

    The original route was developed and outlined by Tsurayuki himself, so his own tone remained strong, and even if the school genre itself was unfamiliar, he could proudly say that it was his work.

    But the new plot was different. The goal was to reduce the cost of time as much as possible, and to make it as fast as possible. It wasn't unmanageable, but it was certainly the bare minimum.

"It's a plot that Kyouya came up with, and you even solidified the image of the end... That is, isn't there any room left for the extra sail I'm taking?"

    Tsurayuki was rebelling. In this project, he was basically faithful to my instructions. I think it was because I knew more about the game than he did, and I valued the fact that he would follow the director's instructions in the end.

    However, it seemed that he would not bend so easily here.

    I was aware of this point. That's why I wanted to explain it to him so that he would understand.

"What are you talking about? I think this game is unique because it is written by Tsurayuki."

    Even in commercial games, it is common for the director to write the plot and the writers to write the scenario according to the plot.

    In addition, no matter how good the plot is, if the writer does not have the writing skills, it will often be a bad work. Of course, the reverse is also true, even if the plot is mediocre, the writer's skill can make it interesting.

    This time, the plot I prepared was just the basics of the story. That is why Tsurayuki’s writing ability was an essential element.

"I'm sorry that I'm putting Tsurayuki through so much. But this is the best way I can think of to complete it."

"N-No, but..."

    Looking into the eyes of Tsurayuki, who was still insisting, I made a serious appeal.

"... So, please. Will you trust me and do as I say?"

    To be honest, I was prepared for a bit of a rebuke.

    I thought that if he was really resisting, I could grant his wish for one route, and that would be the line of compromise.

"……All right"

    So I was a little surprised.

"Kyouya is always right. You’re thinking about me, too, and you're saying it."

    Tsurayuki give me a big nod,

"I'll do as you say. I believe Kyouya."

    He clearly said so.

"...Thank you, Tsurayuki"

"If I don't work hard, Sayuri-nee will laugh at me. I have to do a lot of things now so that I can do what I want to do."

    Those words reminded me of the conversation I had with Sayuri-san.

    We must make Tsurayuki happy. In order to do so, there will inevitably be sacrifices.

    A necessary compromise.

    Knowing this, we can move forward.