Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Thank you for your support Saylesma, La Fayette and Joshua Berry
Chapter 3 | Load | Remake our Life!
Part 1
As June began, the humid heat enveloped the area around the university. As I gradually grew accustomed to the sound of cicadas, I visited the film department lab again.
"I'm aiming to become a producer."
As usual, in front of the hot coffee, I declared.
"You mentioned this before. So you've decided to become a leader."
I said "yes" and nodded.
"You may know this, but because the title of producer sounds good, there are a lot of strange people, like swindlers and con artists. For example, while the scope of a video producer is clear, some producers who work with individual creators may have important responsibilities such as preparing meals and taking care of pets, so it's difficult to explain in a few words."
I had an experience like that when I was making a bishoujo game. I went to the house of an original artist who couldn't take care of himself, and helped him take out the trash and pay the utility bills. It was a good... no, not a good memory.
"Besides, what kind of producer are you going to be? I want to hear that first."
I said without hesitation.
"It's fundamentally a game, but I don't intend to limit the genre specifically. I suppose it'll turn into something like what you call a hustler or a con artist."
Sensei burst into laughter immediately.
"Haha, that's bold. Well, I don't mind if you do it knowing what you're doing."
She didn't particularly object.
When you think about the job of a producer, it's obvious that the wider the connections and job area, the better. This is because there are likely to be problems that cannot be resolved vertically, that is, within the same job area, that can be easily resolved by reaching out to other job areas horizontally.
But if those connections are all shady, you'll end up becoming the kind of suspicious person sensei warned about. Still, there must be positions where that doesn't happen. In fact, there are producers who can oversee an incredibly wide range of genres precisely because of that.
"But."
Sensei's expression became stern.
"Naturally, if you try to do everything, it's going to be a difficult road. You understand that, right?"
"Yes, I guess so."
The role of a producer is a job with very ambiguous responsibilities. Some are supermen who handle over half the work like a director while also managing various administrative tasks, while others focus solely on budget management, delegating everything else to other people. Some even go so far as to say, “Once the production team is set up, 80% of a producer's job is done”.
Therefore, there's no single thing you can do to guarantee success in improving your skills as a producer. While developing a sense for budgeting, gaining market awareness, and learning to manage schedules are certainly skills, they're ultimately just parts of the job.
Everything must be gained through your own experience. It's a job without textbooks.
"You have to decide for yourself what that ambiguous thing is. Hashiba, you are about to get involved in something very troublesome, creating your own job."
That's right, rather than being told to do something from above, you create it yourself and motivate others. That's the role of a producer. To make that possible, you need to be a person with trust, a track record, and the ability to persuasively act.
"Is Hashiba currently debugging the game being developed at Succeed?"
Sensei pinpointed my exact current task with remarkable accuracy.
"Yes. I've been checking fixes for the app the whole time."
"It's a good teaching material. Debugging is a treasure trove of various elements. There's a world of difference between just doing it mechanically and analyzing and absorbing each case. Make sure you study hard."
I nodded silently. Indeed, debugging had seemed like mere menial work at first, but I realized there was nothing more educational for understanding a game's systems and design philosophy. Ideas like “If I were planning this myself, I'd do it this way” started coming to mind.
(Did they assign me to this task anticipating that?)
Horii-san doesn't speak to us directly that often. But when he does say something, he always has something interesting to say. He seems to have known sensei, so I thought maybe he was watching over me as I grew.
"Horii-kun has had the qualities of a director since he was a student. He's the kind of person who steadily produces good things, so I acted as the moderator and kept things balanced."
"Hee...... So that's how you divided the work."
It's true that Horii-san isn't the type to show strong will and lead those around him, but now, as a producer, he is in charge of overseeing the production.
"Just as people create works, works also shape people. Horii-kun is a prime example of that. He gradually absorbed influences, underwent a model change, and became who he is today."
"It's interesting. He was originally a different type, but what he created changed him."
"Yeah. So Hashiba, don't force to squeeze yourself into a pattern. It'll be better for you to naturally gravitate toward what you genuinely want to strive for."
“Yes,” I replied. Though I still don't know what type I am yet.
Kanou-sensei smiled cheerfully as she said,
"When you're a teacher, you can sometimes get the illusion that you're somehow important. Especially when you're a university professor, it's easy to get carried away."
"But you really are important, aren't you? It's not a position just anyone can attain."
"Well, it's partly a matter of circumstance and luck. I'm not as important as people think."
She laughs self-deprecatingly.
"But if you really pay attention to teaching others, you'll quickly realize that it's you who's being taught. Teaching means acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary to be able to teach others. So... do you understand what I mean?"
"So you're saying if you want to learn, teach others?"
Sensei nodded and said, "Right."
"When people interact with each other, it's never the case that one party benefits unilaterally. Although the degree may vary, both parties are always meant to gain something. That's why it's so significant that Hashiba has decided to teach Takenaka something at this time."
When sensei mentioned her name, she grinned.
"What do you think? Isn't she interesting?"
"Yes, I suppose so... Thanks to that, I'm getting all sorts of inspiration."
At first, I thought she was just a lively individual, but that impression was now fading significantly.
Being late is a minor flaw, but she is very capable at her job and quick-witted, making conversations with her flow smoothly and pleasantly. Her lack of experience sometimes leads her to say things that seem out of the blue, but that should diminish soon enough.
"Did you hear about the presentation?"
"Yes, apparently, she suddenly prepared some materials and asked for 30 minutes."
Sensei gave a wry smile and said,
"Ehh?"
"I was stunned. Not a single freshman I've ever known has ever said something like that. And what's more, what she said was “Let me meet Hashiba.” I couldn't have been happier."
Sensei chuckled, bending her body. It seemed she really liked Takenaka-san.
"Considering she was already drawing at a level where she could get into art school based on her drawing skills alone, it's amazing she chose to come to the film department."
For a moment, I couldn't believe my ears.
"Uhm, from what I heard, Takenaka-san tried all sorts of things, but it didn't work out."
"Yeah, I heard she could play piano and sing in the Choir, too. In high school, she was also a member of the art club, and apparently even won a competition."
I was speechless. What kind of perfect superhuman was that?
"Even with all that talent, she still decided she couldn't make it in this field. That's the freshman named Takenaka Rio."
"She's a truly terrifying talent..."
A producer doesn't need drawing skills, writing skills, or singing ability. But naturally, having them is better, and it makes a world of difference in the persuasiveness when conveying something in that role.
If she were to become a producer while retaining her current skills, she would undoubtedly become a formidable presence.
"Right. If you have a guy like that as a junior and she's always watching you, it really motivates you, right?"
"Ah...Yes."
Only then did I finally understand. What sensei had been trying to do to me.
What I did to Shinoaki and Saikawa. By pitting them against someone who was already ahead, someone they admired yet also felt pressure from, I pushed them to get motivated. Sensei is doing almost exactly the same thing to me.
(Is that the kind of kid who's chasing me from behind?)
By teaching others, you grow yourself, yet the fear and pressure of being pursued drives you to push forward even more.
(She's truly a scary person.)
Sensei was still grinning. She didn't say anything, but she must have been thinking this.
Now it's your turn to worry.
After that, I talked with the teacher about all sorts of things. Future content, the game we're debugging, and how to motivate people.
Before I knew it, we were deep in conversation.
I looked at my watch, thanked her, and stood up.
"Ah, right."
Finally, I was approached with the feeling.
"Is Kou-kun doing okay? Still working that part-time job, I suppose?"
"Um, who is this Kou-kun......Ah."
I asked again, then remembered.
"It's Matsuhira-san, right?"
"Yes, Matsuhira Kou. Everyone around us calls us by our first names. I guess that didn't get through to you?"
Actually, I thought relationships where people call each other by first name might be the unusual ones, but then I remembered our share house also calls each other by name.
"He is doing well. I am indebted to him very much. He's an exceptionally talented person, isn't he."
I said what I thought. In fact, from the time I started working part-time until now, I have been learning from everywhere. It is precisely because I have not had much contact with so-called seniors that their presence seems so profound.
I thought that sensei would be happy too,
"Right, he's excellent... very much so. That's precisely why I'm concerned."
Contrary to my expectations, she showed a slightly worried expression.
"Concerned, you say?"
"Yeah, despite his appearance, he has a fragile side. I don't expect you to do anything special, but please keep an eye on him."
"Y-Yes."
It was an unexpected reaction.
Now that I think about it, when I'd spoken to him before, his expression had seemed a little gloomy. But it was only temporary, and it wasn't something I particularly remembered. I only remembered it now, after sensei mentioned it.
(But well, I'll keep it in mind)
Since sensei went out of her way to mention it, it would be rash to assume nothing came of it. I thought I'd try to remember it for the next time something happened.
——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———
Part 2
"Hassie, go ahead and ask the next question."
In front of me was Kiryuu-san, his expression serious. He was wearing a suit that didn't suit him at all, and that alone was enough to make me want to laugh, but his expression was just too serious.
"Eeto, then........ what are the special features of this laminator?"
"Yes! Thank you for asking! This large-format laminator we offer is a professional-grade model capable of handling sizes up to A0. It minimizes air pockets during lamination through its high-temperature, instantaneous, instantaneous......"
"High Temperature Instant Curing Lamination System"
"Yes! That's right! Thanks to that high-temperature instant-bonding laminate, it's a product customers can use with just one touch—highly recommended! As for attachments, retort pouches and vacuum packs... Etto, what was it again?"
"The hardened film that gets high marks for tear resistance "
"Ah, that's right, that's it! That's the one! I'm done for, I can't remember a thing!!"
Kiryuu-san scratched his head and writhed around. Ignoring his bizarre behavior, I opened the light novel in my hands.
"Hey, Hassie... Why am I explaining vinyl stuff when I was supposed to join a photo film company?"
"No idea. Didn't they explain it during the job interview?"
"I can say with confidence that I wasn't listening at all!!"
I let out a sigh.
"Then it's your own fault. Please read the pamphlet again."
As soon as I push him away, Kiryuu-san starts throwing a fit right in front of me again.
"I don't like it! I don't like it! I didn't get this job to sell these freaking plastic monsters! If I have to sell something, I'd much rather sell thin vinyl products like 0.03mm or something, at least those are interesting!!"
"You really shouldn't say that joke at work! I don't care if you get kicked out for sexual harassment!"
I sigh again. Why is my whole life so haphazard?
Kiryuu Takafumi, 2●, had been clinging to university as a research student, but this spring he somehow managed to get a job.
He apparently intended to dodge it until the very last moment, but after being seriously pressured by his parents and his girlfriend, he reluctantly agreed to start working.
Well, Kiryu-san was an outstanding student in his department to begin with, and he was well-regarded by the professor. He secured a position at a trading company that handles top-tier domestic films and chemicals.
...But.
"It was unfortunate that the photography-related department was reduced."
Due to the shift to digitalization at the time, the handling of film was beginning to decline across the industry.
The company Kiryuu-san joined was no exception, and he was reassigned from his original film department to a department that deals with commercial printers and vinyl coating, known as lamination.
"I don't know anything about printers. Seriously, how am I supposed to like them?"
As expected, I feel sorry for him, but there's nothing I can do about it.
"Why don't you buy your own printer and try printing out some of those erotic images Kiryuu-san likes? Maybe that'll spark your interest."
"I already did that with the company printer. My boss got really pissed at me."
You actually did it!! And with the company's printer!
Anyway, Kiryuu-san seems to want to practice his sales talk, and lately he's been trying various things by pretending I'm a customer, but his lack of interest is a fatal flaw, and he keeps making mistakes with the terminology and not remembering it, so I'm worried about what the future holds.
"So, why has Hassie been reading light novels this whole time? Did you like them that much?"
In front of me are several novels piled up. All of them have sticky notes, and I take more notes on the areas I am interested in.
"I'm studying in preparation for manuscript checking. I need to thoroughly read at least the popular light novels of today, otherwise I won't know the standards for checking."
That said, in my case, it's more like reviewing past works.
In the world ten years later, where I originally came from, works born from novel submission sites had taken over, and the popular genres there were considered the best sellers.
However, in this past world, the boom of posting sites had not yet arrived, and it was still a time when it was perfectly possible for a work submitted to a new writer's contest to become a hit. Even within genres, it wasn't the case that only fixed categories like fantasy, romantic comedy, battle, or supernatural powers sold well.
So, rather than looking for commonalities among best-selling works, I tried to pick out the good points of each and find ways to use them in Tsurayuki's work.
"Hassie's totally engrossed in light novel illustrations, and only listens to songs on NicoNico Douga. Seriously, you are amazing."
That, too, is a form of confirmation, so to speak.
However, by looking at past bestsellers in this way, I was able to see that there were clear similarities between them and works that will sell in the future, which was an interesting discovery.
The theme must be solid. The outline must be easy to understand. The target audience must be clear. There are many other things, but those were the points I felt.
(So there really are solid reasons why it sells, huh.)
When things just won't sell, we inevitably blame the times. It's easier that way, and it prevents the wound from deepening.
But once you blame the times, they cease to be your ally. They drift far away, never to return before you again.
(I have to always try my best, I guess)
Next to Kiryu-san, who was still struggling with the pamphlet on the printer, I went back to reading my light novel.
"Hey, Hassie."
"Practicing your sales pitch? If so, maybe a little later."
"No, that's not it."
Kiryu-san deliberately moved his seat and came to sit in front of me.
"Don't you want to go somewhere?"
"No, I don't."
"Think about it, we didn't do anything special during Golden Week either, and before we knew it, it was June, right? If we keep this up, summer will be here before we know it, I think."
Even after becoming a member of society, what are you talking about when you go in and out of the club room?
"I'm not going. I've got plenty to do, and besides, didn't we already make memories of student life with that Shirahama trip?"
"That's a memory from our student days! What I want now is healing as a worn-out working adult! They're totally different things, I tell you!"
"I don't have time. Besides, Kiryu-san, don't you have things to do before you go out? You still need to practice that sales pitch you just gave me, and your boss has given you homework to come up with ideas for new businesses, right?"
"I don't like it!! I don't wanna see you spouting all those righteous arguments, Hassie! Please, just hang out with me!!"
Eventually, he started thrashing around in front of me. I wondered if it was okay for his suit to get wrinkled?
"Don't be so selfish! I'll end up telling your girlfriend and having her scold y..."
I sensed someone behind me just as I started to speak.
When I turned around, there was,
"Hashiba-kun..."
Standing there was Hiyama Yurika-san, also dressed in a suit, who had graduated straight from high school this spring and secured a job.
"Hiih, Yu-Yurika-san!?"
Kiryuu-san jumped back upon seeing her.
"Hiyama-san, you're just in time! Give this boyfriend of yours a stern scolding, ..."
"Please," I was about to ask, but my words were cut off as if to interrupt,
"Waaaaah! Hashiba-kun! Work is hard for me, too! I want to go out and play!"
In a way I'd never seen before, Hiyama-san began to throw a tantrum, just like her boyfriend. As I watched in amazement, Kiryu-san tapped me on the shoulder and said,
"You get it, right...Life is hard."
"What are you so proud of?"
——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———
Part 3
So, at the suggestion of the alumni of the Art Research Club, a one-day Kiyukiyo seafood eating tour was quickly organized. At first, we had considered staying overnight, but due to the rising costs and time constraints, we decided to make it a one-day trip.
"I'm truly sorry... I ended up making such a disgraceful spectacle of myself."
As I worked on the plan, Hiyama-san sat beside me, looking apologetic the whole time.
"It's fine. But even someone like Hiyama-san gets pushed that hard, huh? Being a working adult."
"That's right," Hiyama-san sighed,
"My job is fun. It's rewarding. But I have to think about so many unnecessary things, like human relationships, and it just builds up into sooooo much stress. It gets to the point where I hate it."
Her tone made it clear she really disliked it.
If Hiyama-san, who was the one with the most self-control within Art Club and who was Kiryu's stopper above all else, could be pushed to this point, then the working world is truly a dark place. When I myself worked at a black company, I was constantly lost in fantasies of working at a fishing port in Hokkaido.
So, well, this plan probably isn't a complete waste. Probably.
"For now, those attending are myself, Hiyama-san, Kiryu-san, Kawasegawa, Tsurayuki, Shinoaki, and Nanako. That's all.
"Sugimoto's out with job hunting, Kakihara's off work, and Saikawa-san's swamped with tasks, huh? But everyone else is coming... Wait, so Hikawa-kun couldn't make it after all."
"That guy, you know, that thing, he seems to be going out with his girlfriend."
When I called, I ended up listening to him happily brag about his relationship for about 30 minutes before he told me he wouldn't be coming.
"It is nice, college couples... Back when we were students, that idiot was so indecisive that we were basically just friends forever. Then once we finally started dating, he got a job, and we barely had any time together. Seriously, what's wrong with him?"
What the heck is wrong with you, Kiryu-san? Well, it seems like he got the job with Hiyama-san in mind, so that's good.
——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———
Part 4
After that, Hiyama-san cheerfully complained about Kiryu-san and went back to the working world with heavy steps. All I could do was watch her sad back as she walked away.
After checking everyone's schedules, we decided to go on the trip that Friday.
Since I had a part-time job scheduled for that day, I called Matsuhira-san to change my shift.
"Hee, a day trip? Sounds nice. Have fun."
My shift change was accepted with surprising ease.
"Thank you. Sorry for the sudden request."
"No problem. Things aren't too busy right now. Next week might have been tougher, actually."
"Is something happening next week?"
Matsuhira-san paused for a moment, then said,
"Ah, Horii-san hasn't said anything to you yet. He really loves that kind of thing."
"Eh, is there something difficult about it?"
As I checked in a fluster, and he replied,
"No, it's not like that. But I think it's probably best not to say anything right now, so I'll keep it a secret."
And just like that, it was swept under the rug in a way that made me even more curious.
"When you put it that way, it makes me curious."
"It's nothing bad for you, so don't worry. See you again at the start of next week."
Matsuhira-san said with a smile.
His tone was as refreshing and clear as ever. Before hearing Kanou-sensei's talk, I don't think I would have thought anything of it, but.
(Where is the vulnerability?)
Now I can't help but wonder what lies behind that tone of voice.
"Matsuhira-san, um..."
"Hmm, what is it?"
...No, it's silly to even ask. What sensei said was only about when that time comes.
"Uhm, so, what kind of souvenir would you like?"
"Haha, then, something sweet would be great."
Kanou-sensei may have a mischievous side, but fundamentally, she is a rare person who genuinely cares about us students. It's just my guess, but I think she has a nature that can't help but worry about people she's connected with.
So surely, there must be a reason why she deliberately told me about Matsuhira-san.
(For now, I'll just treat him normally)
I kept it in mind, but made sure not to dig too deeply into it.
——— read on seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———
Part 5
And then the day of the trip.
We, the Art Club members, were all gathered in front of Kishi Station, along with Kiryu-san's van. It was five minutes before the meeting time, but he was on time, just like the others.
"As expected, she is solid."
I glanced at my phone. A text from Takenaka-san had arrived, filled with emoticons: “Paisen, be careful on your way!!!” She'd asked me to take a photo and send it, so I'd send her something later.
"Is everyone here~? If you're worried about motion sickness, grab some pills at the pharmacy. Also, there won't be any restrooms until the service area, so use the convenience store first, and also..."
At the meeting spot, Kiryu-san stood with hands on his hips, unusually briskly explaining travel precautions and preparations. Usually, either I or Hiyama-san handles that.
"He's really fired up today, isn't he."
I said to Hiyama-san beside me,
"I'm so glad everyone came. I guess he thought it would just be us and maybe one other person, so when he heard there were seven of us, he was all excited and went to rent a car."
"Hee......"
I thought, he has a cute side, after all.
"Fwaah... Kyoya, I don't have to drive, right?"
Tsurayuki asked with an unbearably sleepy look on his face.
"I think Kiryu-san will drive there, and I'll take over for the return trip. Did you work on the manuscript until morning, Tsurayuki?"
"Yeah. I thought I'd get through all the points Kyoya pointed out in one go. I wrote about 50 pages that night, and then I got really sleepy."
"That's tough, well, it's okay to sleep in the car."
“Got it,” he said, yawning widely, and promptly climbed into the back seat.
"I'm looking forward to it, Tsurayuki-kun's book."
At Shinoaki's words, I nodded too. I had already shared information about the support of each of the three people, including Nanako.
I hoped that doing so would lead to some realizations ... and I didn't want them to feel inferior for being the only one.
"Looks like he found his calling. From here on out, it's all up to Tsurayuki."
After comparing popular light novels with Tsurayuki's work, I broke down the key points I noticed and explained them to him.
It was stuff like the flow of emotions or where catharsis occurs, things Kanesada surely understood himself, but apparently, having a third party point them out proved effective. It seems authors inevitably overlook these things sometimes.
"How about Shinoaki? Are the rough drafts for the cover illustration coming together?"
"Yeah, I've put together a few rough drafts, so I'll show them to Kyoya-kun once they're finished."
After obtaining permission from the editor in charge, I became fully involved in Shinoaki's light novel illustration work as well. I was trying to shift Shinoaki's art, which tended to have slightly wide-angle compositions toward slightly tighter shots, explaining the differences from other works.
(Well, Shinoaki seems to be fine.)
Originally, it was the other side's lack of objections that was actually scary. If Shinoaki's side is satisfied, things probably won't get too complicated.
"Alright, then let's get in too."
Seeing the others return from the convenience store, I headed toward the car as well.
"Hey, hey, Kyoya."
Then Nanako called out to me from behind.
"Uhm, I heard it from Eiko..."
Eiko, or rather, the mention of Kawasegawa, made me sense a slightly uneasy atmosphere.
After the incident with the school festival song, Nanako and Kawasegawa had become very close, or rather, good friends. They're completely different types of people, but Kawasegawa said that they became close because "we hit it off over a lot of things about Hashiba." I can't help but feel uneasy.
"From Kawasegawa? What is it?"
"That first-year student with the rather complicated last name. Um, what was it again."
"You mean Takunaka-san?"
"R-Right! About her!"
Although I nodded "Aah", inside my head I was filled with the thought, "Uwwaah, here we go." I imagine Kawasegawa was probably telling Nanako, in her own way, the story of our previous encounter in Namba.
That would be fine, but the story probably contains some dramatization, or perhaps a different interpretation by Kawasegawa.
(It would be troublesome if she said "catching another new girl and so on".)
Just as I was thinking that,
"She seems like... a cute girl. I heard she's a fan of Kyoya's, or maybe she's like a disciple, but what kind of relationship is that?"
Yes, it's confirmed. Kawasegawa-san, you're saying it perfectly. Or rather, “disciple” is a word that just popped up for the first time!
"She said she wanted to study things like filmmaking and planning, so I'm just answering her questions. It's not like she's my disciple or anything."
"B-But wouldn't that somehow make you two closer?"
"We won't! Even today, we're doing our own thing as usual, and it's not like she's following along with me."
...Actually, I'm glad I firmly refused when she hinted she wanted to come along.
"Look, it's time, hop in, Nanako."
Nanako glared at me with a dissatisfied “Uwh” before getting into the car. Honestly, at this rate, I'm starting to worry about what she might have said.
And then the cause approached.
"You were having trouble responding, “Paisen”. Looks like you're having fun."
"First of all, please stop calling me that."
Kawasegawa Eiko, wore her usual composed expression.
"So what did you tell Nanako? She's totally misunderstanding the whole thing."
"Let me make this clear: I was speaking purely from a general perspective. That ‘disciple’ thing? That’s just how it looked from the outside. The rest is all Nanako’s delusions and imagination."
"That might be true, but..."
It might sound conceited, but she has feelings for me. She's already made that clear. That said, I've decided now is the time to focus on my creative work, so I've put my response on hold.
So I can understand why Nanako's reaction is a bit awkward. I can, but.
"It's just that a junior took an interest in what I've been doing and asked me to teach her some things, so I said I would."
Kawasegawa sighed heavily at my words,
"I get that side of you, but honestly, it really gets on my nerves every single time."
"...I'm sorry."
But, well, I had talked to Kawasegawa about "that" thing a few times before, and each time she'd just reply, "Get a grip of yourself," or "Just make up your mind," but I was still unable to make up my mind, so I couldn't say anything back.
And then, if I was getting along with a cute new freshman girl, I suppose it's no wonder she'd be upset.

0 Comments
Post a Comment