Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
——— First Half ———
Part 1
April. It was around the time of the new school year, and our lives had undergone another slight change.
At the production site for the animated feature film launched by Kuroda, a major job was quickly getting underway. Saikawa Minori, who had been chosen to be the main axis of the project, decided to move out of the share house after much agonizing.
"I'm sorry, I really want to stay here forever."
It was not unreasonable to expect that the only time she would return home during the week would be to pick up a change of clothes, and the rest of the time she would stay at a business hotel or studio, so it was natural for her to consider moving out.
"The fact that Saikawa was able to choose to move out because of that is a sign of growth."
The path to animation production became, in a sense, a parting of the ways with her beloved Shinoaki. As a result of her firm decision to follow that path, she also decided to move.
"You can come and play anytime. I'll be waiting~"
"U-Uwh, Aki-san, if you say that, I won't be able to leave~"
I did think she still looked a bit childish when she hugged Shinoaki and cried.
But I had heard from Kuroda that Saikawa was growing at an incredible pace. I'm sure in a little while she'll become an incredible creator.
Hopefully, by that time, I would be very happy if her idol, Shinoaki, would be so influenced by her.
(I hope that time will come, Saikawa.)
Thus, Saikawa Minori left the share house in March when the fiscal year changed over.
I was thinking that the share house would get a little lonely with that happening,
"I think I'm going to go into this room for writing."
As if by chance, Tsurayuki, a former resident of the room, asked me for advice.
"I'm basically going to come to work here in the mornings and spend the weekends at home. I'll talk to the landlord and if no one else wants to move in, I'll sign the lease right away......What do you think?"
Of course, there was no reason to refuse.
"But why all of a sudden? You've been writing at home all this time, so I thought that was how you were always supposed to do it."
When I asked, Tsurayuki scratched his head in embarrassment and said,
"Well, when I'm at home, Sayuri-nee is always bothering me, and it's hard to find time to concentrate on writing. I've tried staying at coffee shops and family restaurants, but it just doesn't seem to work."
It was an extremely convincing story.
"But are you sure it's okay to do that? Won't she come after you like she did before?"
"Ah, that's okay. I'll make sure to text her once an hour."
Although he says he's fine, I feel like he's bound up pretty tight......
Anyway, the four of us are now back to our normal lives.
——— seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———
Part 2
We, the students of the Department of Film and Media, were able to advance to our third year without a single repeat student. According to a notice posted in the department, we had a very outstanding year, considering that every year 2-3 students are kept in their second year.
"No, but it was a close call, you know? I got good grades, so I made it."
At breakfast, Tsurayuki spoke with a wry smile.
"Yes, in the end, I guess all the savings I had paid off."
I nodded, remembering what Kanou-sensei had said.
Needless to say, Tsurayuki didn't attend any classes during his leave of absence, and didn't turn in any assignments during that time.
Normally, it would have been difficult for him to earn credits even if he returned to school, but Tsurayuki's previous attitude and grades were highly regarded, and he was given a chance to make up for most of his classes.
And as a result of diligently completing reports and assignments,
"You made it into your third year, how impressive."
Shinoaki said with an impressed look on her face.
"Well, I've had help from everyone. I can't afford to flunk out, can I."
Tsurayuki scratches his head in embarrassment.
"Tsurayuki has changed a lot. He can express gratitude so openly."
Nanako looks on with a grin.
"People change, don't they? You haven't changed at all, though."
"I-I've changed a little too! I'm getting more and more calls asking me to sing!"
Today's dinner table was as lively as usual.
Whenever Tsurayuki spoke, Nanako would tease him, and Shinoaki would watch with a smile as they began arguing with each other, and eventually I would step in to mediate.
But everyone is not the same anymore.
"Thanks for the meal~. I think I'll get back to work then."
"Yeah, I'm going to continue working on the first draft."
"I also have to write a reply to the collaboration request!"
Everyone clears their dishes and heads back to their rooms.
"Well, I'm off now."
Then I head off to college alone. With everyone sending me off with "Have a nice day," I continue living my daily life as a student.
Shinoaki has a full-fledged illustration job for a novel and is currently in the process of designing characters. Nanako has received a large collaboration request and is immersed in communicating with the client and creating an original song, while Tsurayuki is concentrating on rewriting his manuscript in preparation for his debut as a novelist.
Of course, they still have days to attend classes. However, considering their personal work, they had narrowed down the number of days they attended classes. As a result, we no longer went to college together as we had done in the past, and we naturally began to act separately more and more often.
At least we eat breakfast together. Someone had said this rule, but it was more of an indication that everyone's time was growing apart.
——— seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———
Part 3
"It's not like you're family, so isn't it natural."
Kawasegawa Eiko, aka the Iron Lady, brushed aside my sentimental feelings about such an occurrence.
"Well, I understand the reasoning, but don't you feel lonely?"
"You see, we're here to study. If you want to form a friendship group, you should have chosen that kind of club or university from the beginning, and isn't it a good thing if everyone is walking their own path."
Well, she's right. I don't think we need to be so serious about something as trivial as a chat in the cafeteria after class.
(It's just as it should be.)
Kawasegawa understands most of the feelings I have towards everyone in the share house.
That's why she shows no mercy when I show weakness in that respect.
"Hashiba, if you want to be together I have a great idea!"
Hikawa, who was with us, suddenly spoke up.
"Idea? How?"
"You can date either Shinoaki or Nanako!"
"Buh!!"
I and Kawasegawa both choked at the same time.
"Oh, what's the matter with you guys?"
"Because you suddenly said such a sensitive subject!"
"That's right! Hikawa, you really have no delicacy when it comes to that sort of thing!"
We all rebelled against the topic that Hikawa had thrown into the conversation,
"Eh~, really? But we're already halfway through college, right? If you think about what's to come, I think it's time to start thinking about that sort of thing."
"Uwh......"
This time, Kawasegawa and I were at a loss for words at the same time.
Now that he said it, it was true.
We had already reached the age of adulthood, and it was time for us to think about our future career path. And that meant that we had to think about our future lives as well.
I had been so focused on my creative work that it had never occurred to me that we would be talking about dating or getting married, but it was a real possibility.
What Hikawa said wasn't so far-fetched after all.
"T-That kind of thinking of ending a relationship is so old-fashioned. I can't keep up with it."
"Haha, that's what Kawasegawa is like! You seem to like your job!"
"What kind of image is that!"
While Hikawa and Kawasegawa were arguing with each other, I was thinking about everyone in the share house.
Aside from Tsurayuki, who is already on the verge of marrying Sayuri, Nanako is clearly showing her affection for me. I think that now is not the right time, and Nanako has said something like that, but I haven't decided when exactly “the right time” is.
And with Shinoaki, our relationship hadn't really progressed since our sudden approach at the school festival two years ago. Little by little, she started to talk about herself, and we were slowly closing the distance between us, but it was never based on a romantic relationship, but on personal trust and that sort of relationship.
Right now, each of us has the big task of creating something. But if they achieve some kind of success or hit a dead end, it would be normal for the story to suddenly turn emotional.
The relationship between Nanako and Shinoaki could suddenly change tomorrow.
"What's wrong? You were spacing out."
"Ah, no, no, it's nothing. I was just thinking about something."
"Hmmm......"
Kawasegawa gives me a clear, fixed gaze.
Yes, there is a great possibility that the current relationship with this girl will change in the next ten years. However, for now, it doesn't seem to be obvious due to her strong will.
Anyway, I seemed to be in a tricky situation. It was a situation that was incomparably more enviable than the future where I had no girlfriend, no female friends, and no job.
"W-Well, there's nothing at the moment, mm."
I replied, somewhat, or rather quite shaken,
"I see, for now, dating's good! I hope you two find a good partner!"
While hammering the nail into a dangerous place, as usual, Hikawa let out a loud laugh gahaha.
There was a reason why he could act like this. Hikawa had recently started dating a junior from the same ninja club, and whenever he got the chance, he would brag about it to everyone around him.
(Things are changing, guys.)
Kawasegawa was given a part-time job as an assistant director at a film production company and was also assigned (albeit with some complaints) to work on the Miss Daigeidai, which had been reluctantly decided upon.
Hikawa is also in and out of studios that handle special effects in preparation for the filming of his long-awaited action movie, and everyone is starting to move in their own direction.
The members of Daigeidai, including Kuroda and Saikawa, who had already made their way to the big stage, were gradually starting to move forward.
"Hashiba, are you going to a game company?"
Kawasegawa asked again. I had already given him the rough story over the phone.
"Mm, Succeed Soft. With sensei's introduction, starting next week."
"Oh, that's amazing! That company has expanded from bishoujo games to consumer games and is doing really well!"
Hikawa was surprised. Yes, at this time, Succeed was just starting to climb the ladder from a mid-level company to a major company.
"Is that so, I hardly ever play games, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on them."
I nodded at Kawasegawa's suggestion.
"Mm, I'd like to hear about filmmaking too, so let's exchange information."
What will happen to everyone in the future? With both hope and anxiety, we begin to walk our next path.
——— seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———
Part 4
On Monday, the start of the week, I got on a train in the afternoon and headed towards the center of Osaka.
For students of the Daigeidai, the central part of Osaka is not a familiar place. The area south of Higashi Umeda, such as Yodoyabashi and Honmachi, is clearly a business district, and not a place one would head to unless one was job hunting.
So, this was my second visit since the interview, and I was completely lost.
"Last time I got it right......Ah, it's here."
I finally found the building I had been in last time. It was a 10-story building, with Succeed occupying five of them.
I took the elevator up to the third floor where the reception desk was located. When the door opened, there was a large glass door right in front of it with the Succeedsoft logo painted on it.
Succeedsoft has been headquartered in Osaka since its establishment. However, around 2012, the company moved its headquarters to its own building in Tokyo for the purpose of business expansion, and the development department in Osaka was closed and replaced by a branch office that is mainly composed of the sales department.
According to information obtained from game magazines and the Internet, Succeedsoft's character changed drastically between the "Osaka period" and the "Tokyo period". Compared to the Tokyo period, when Succeedsoft had 2,500 employees and had become a major player in the industry, the Osaka period, when it had only about 300 employees, was more like an at-home atmosphere, with many episodes that resembled a university club.
Originally, the company started out with bishoujo games, so there was a lot of interaction with users. Although it would be unthinkable nowadays due to security issues, there was even a time when users who came to visit the company were invited into the development department, and footage of them fighting in fighting games was uploaded to the website.
However, everyone agreed that the enthusiasm for game development and the sense of anticipation for the creation of new products was far greater during the Osaka period.
I'm about to enter that legendary place.
(I'm much more nervous than last time......)
I breathed in and out several times, steeled myself, and opened the door.
I pressed the extension number next to "Development Department" and put the receiver to my ear.
"2200."
I pressed the extension number next to the one that said "Development Department" and put the receiver to my ear.
Immediately, I heard a voice.
"Fua~i, this is development......"
"Eh?"
Suddenly, an obviously sleepy voice came over the phone.
"U-Uhm, I'll be working part-time here from today. My name is Hashiba."
For the time being, if you say hello,
"The part-timer? Ah, you can come in. Turn right from there and all the way to the end is the development department~"
"Y-Yes, I understand."
As soon as I answered, the phone was hung up.
"What was that just now......"
Today is Monday, and it's daytime. Normally, it's the first day back after the holiday, and it's the time of day when you'd be working hard.
However, the person who answered the phone earlier looked obviously sleepy. It could be that he was simply absentminded, but there is a more likely explanation,
"I wonder if he went to work yesterday and stayed overnight...... It's a game company after all."
Feeling the black vibe, I stepped into the office.
The air-conditioned room was a bit chilly, but not uncomfortable. The area immediately after entering the office seemed to be a part of the sales department, with most people talking on the phone or tapping away at their keyboards. It was an easily recognizable office area.
Beyond that was the public relations department. It was less hectic than the sales department, but there were people making sales tools and magazine proofs piled up, which gave me a real sense of being part of the industry.
I hurried past people who were busy working, trying not to get in their way, and before long I arrived at a place with a clearly different atmosphere than before.
"So this is the development department, huh?"
The department at the very back, separated by a long, large partition, was where the development department was located.
It was a strange atmosphere. The desks were mainly divided by tapestries with cartoon characters on them, and there were no simple partitions to be found anywhere. There were sleeping bags on the floor, and snoring and breathing could be heard here and there. Some people were not at all disturbed by the situation, and were silently concentrating on their work.
(I shouldn't disturb this, right)
I hesitated for a moment to call out to him, as it would obviously distract him from his concentration.
But if things continued like this, I wouldn't be able to ask anyone for any instructions at work.
"Etto, uhm."
With a determined heart, I spoke to the person who was working on the 3DCG background right next to me.
And the next moment.
"Hih......!"
Suddenly, I felt something cool on my back.
"Slowly raise your hands. This is a gun."
A chilling voice comes from behind me.
Eh, what? Were there already terrorist attacks in this era? N-No, above all, I can't even remember anything like that gun terror attack at a game maker in Osaka.
As I try to search the memories in my brain, the person behind me continues to speak.
"You have a choice. Surrender now or your life ends here."
There was no way I would have a choice in such a situation. If I were a martial arts expert, I might be able to quickly grab the gun behind me and twist his arm up, but unfortunately, I have never acquired such skills in the past or in the future.
"I, I surrender."
At that moment, I gave up and raised my voice.
"Yes, yes, let's end it right there."
From behind a pillar, a figure appeared out of the corner of my eye.
He was a slender, beautiful man with a short bob haircut that looked good on him. I thought for a moment that he was a woman ......, but his figure with a jacket on was clearly that of a man.
And then there was the person in front of me,
"Mou, it's no good, Horii-san. You're scaring the new guy."
He said so with a wry smile,
"Sorry, sorry, I just get excited when a new person comes."
The cold voice behind me suddenly changed to a cheerful, laid-back tone. Surprised, I turned around and there was.
"Ah, you are, the other day......"
That development guy I met at the interview held out his hand to me, smiling.
"Yes. I'm Horii Kazuhisa, the head of the development department. I look forward to working with you, Hashiba-kun."
As I took his hand and shook it, I was still tossed about by the suddenness of the situation.
——— seireitranslations.blogspot.com ———
Part 5
After a brief exchange of greetings, we headed towards the conference room.
"A rite of passage when a newcomer comes in......Is it?"
"Right right, it's been a tradition for a long time."
Since Succeedsoft's development department was originally established as a doujinshi game production team, it tended to emphasize puns and playfulness. The surprise he pulled on me earlier was also a result of this custom.
"The last time we did it, we even wore zombie makeup to welcome them. But the ones who came cried, so we had to scale it down a bit."
"Just how realistic was it......"
So thanks to that victim(?), I was able to get away with only this much.
"Horii-san loves to play pranks. But if he doesn't moderate it, all the part-timers who came to work here will run away."
"Haha, you're right. Let's leave this at that."
Said by the beautiful person, Horii-san put on a good-natured smile and scratched his head.
"Yes, who's this?"
"Ah, I haven't introduced him yet. This is Matsuhira Kou-kun, who also works part-time here like you."
Horii-san introduced him, and Matsuhira-san bowed his head.
"Hashiba-kun, right? I'm Matsuhira. Nice to meet you."
"Nice to meet you, too. I look forward to working with you."
I said and bowed my head, and Matsuhira-san bowed obediently in return.
"He is in charge of the whole part-timers. If you have any questions, please ask Matsuhira-kun first."
When I replied that I understood, Matsuhira-san smiled gently as if affirming,
"Hashiba-kun, you're a third year student, right."
"Yes. What about you, Matsuhira-san...?"
"I am a fourth year student. I'll be graduating next year. So I didn't have much to do."
According to Matsuhira-san, this was his fourth year working part-time at Succeed, and since he had been here since his freshman year, he was quite a veteran.
Once again, Matsuhira-san really had the look of a woman. He looked cool, but his eyes were kind, so I didn't get a cold feeling from him.
A man who seems to be popular. It may seem a bit clichéd, but that was the first impression I got.
Horii-san interjected as if remembering, "Oh, that reminds me."
"I saw Hashiba-kun and his team's work at the school festival, and it was very innovative. Using the comments to create a video was a hidden trick that took advantage of the system."
Well, it's just that in this day and age it was still a weapon, but it was good that we were able to put it into a form that was pleasant.
"Thank you very much. But as sensei said to me, I knew I couldn't beat them with the royal road way." (Note: An easy or straightforward procedure for achieving a goal)
"I guess so. I also thought that Kuroda-kun would win in terms of the overall score of his work."
Saying that, Horii-san nodded,
"But there was an idea in what you created. There was a determination to somehow turn things around with the limited resources available. That kind of thinking is essential to making a game."
"Is that......so?"
"Mm, that's why I asked her to contact you. She thought that someone who could do trial and error might be able to make some interesting changes in the development process."
By “her,” he probably means Kanou-sensei.
I wonder what kind of relationship Horii-san has with Kanou-sensei. I know they were once colleagues making games together, but it seems there is a strong sense of trust between them.
"I'm glad you invited me. But I don't have any skills yet, so..."
Horii-san smiled and said,
"It's like that for everyone at first. Well, you'll get used to it gradually, and you'll be fine."
"Yes, I'll do my best."
I was glad they did not say something like, "Do it with guts". Of course, I think it's important to have a firm motivation, but if it's suddenly about guts, it changes the way I perceive it.
(I'm glad they seem nice.)
Since it was a fast-growing game company, I was afraid that they would be full of peculiar people, but I didn't seem to have to worry about that.
"Hashiba-kun, do you want to be a producer?"
Right after I was relieved, Horii-san asked me this question.
"Eh, yes, I'm aiming for it."
I was taken aback by the sudden question, but I figured there was no point in saying something vague at that point, so I answered firmly.
"I see. I think it's a natural progression from what you've been through. Good luck."
"Thank you."
"But......"
Horii-san's expression suddenly hardened from his previous gentle one.
"I am a producer now, but if you ask me how I feel about this profession, I can honestly say that I have a love-hate relationship with it. While it is rewarding and fulfilling, there are also many times when I have to make cold-blooded decisions."
There was no room for any words.
I had some idea what the job of producer was, but hearing these words from someone who actually works in that position carried a lot of weight.
"So when I see young people who want to pursue this career, I'm half happy for them, but half want to advise them not to do it. But"
There, Horii-san's expression softened again.
"She..... Kanou-kun told me about you. She says that you are a person who knows the pain of making such decisions. You are a person who can suffer there. So, I welcome you."
It was a nice thing to hear. I was happy that Horii-san had said so, and that Kanou-sensei had given me such an evaluation.
I bowed my head honestly.
"Thank you, that......I want to study and become stronger."
"Strong, mm, that's good. Being strong is the best weapon you can have against yourself and others."
Although I am just at the beginning of the process, I felt very grateful to be able to learn the first part of producing at this company.
(But it's not smooth at all......Isn't it?)
The feeling I'd had earlier of being glad I wasn't in the sports club had somehow disappeared. This was a battlefield where I'd quickly be left behind if I didn't try my best and discipline myself.
This person has that kind of fear behind his kindness. I could sense it in what he just said.
"Oh, I have one more person coming today, Hashiba-kun, are you listening?"
Horii-san suddenly asked me a question. But I had no idea what he was talking about.
The only person who knew about the Succeedsoft matter was Kanou-sensei. Or rather, that was the only point of contact with which I received this offer, so it is the only place I can think of where he would have heard about it in advance.
"Am I listening...? No, I am not."
So, I answered honestly.
"That's strange. Two people, you and the other one, were interviewed and accepted from the Visual Arts Department, and you really didn't hear anything?"
Two people? There was someone else besides me who had taken the interview and passed.
"I've never heard of it, who......"
Just as I was about to say, "Who is it?"
"S-Sorry I am latee!!"
The door of the conference room opened with a bang, and a girl rushed in, out of breath.
Her light brown shoulder-length hair was bouncing outwards with vigor, and the scarf attached to her backpack and her orange hoodie flashed in front of her eyes.
Ignoring the shock of the group, the girl let out a deep breath, patted her chest, straightened her back, and then bowed her head in a sharp bend.
"I am terribly sorry! Takenaka is so embarrassed to be late on her first day at work!"
While using somewhat old-fashioned or dated language, she blurted out some kind of athletic apology.
While everyone was stunned, she suddenly raised her head, looked around restlessly, and when she caught sight of me,
"Ah......"
She looked as if she had noticed something and started fiddling with her cell phone.
Then, perhaps opening a picture of some kind, she looked at my face and her cell phone alternately, and then,
"It's Hashiba-sensei!! There's no mistake!"
"Eh, m-me?"
Suddenly, she called me by adding, "Sensei," and she approached me with the sound of heavy footsteps that seemed to make me sound like an onomatopoeia.
"I finally got to meet you!! I've always wanted to see you, Hashiba-sensei!"
She shook my hand firmly with both of hers.
"From today onwards, I, Takenaka will be in your care!"
She looked me straight in the eye with sparkling eyes and suddenly greeted me.
"Eh, uhm...... well, that's."
I thought I was the only one, but the number of part-timers from the Visual Arts Department had increased to two, and even though I didn't know her, she somehow knew who I was.
At this point, my mind was completely jammed, but there was no way I could give a thoughtful reply.
I don't know where to start talking or what to ask, and my brain is completely bugged, and a silent space is occurring.
As I was struggling with the lack of help, Horii-san said with a wry smile,
"Let's see, this girl. Takenaka-san. Hashiba-kun, it seems...... you didn't hear anything about it."
"Not at all."
I just shook my head in confusion.



0 Comments
Post a Comment