Translated: reireiss, MTLs-nim 

Edited: reireiss, Grammarly ssi 

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to keep this translation and the translators alive. 

Don't forget to leave a message that you support this novel by writing the title when tipping. 

Thanks^ ^ 


***

PLEASE!!

DON'T SHARE OR REPOST!!

***

Translator Note:

Just wanted to let you know that sometimes I won't translate calls(?) like 'oppa, hyung, eonni, nuna, etc.' and suffixes like '-ssi, -nim, etc.'

So...... Bear with me, please (/▿\ )

Thank You!

***

Chapter 27 – Reason to Prove It

'Hmm, before or after Emma Stewart's bodyguard? Let's keep the location in LA or New York.'

Taking a hint from the Captain of the Fire Brigade Unit, Kang Chang-hoon immediately started scouring social media. He prioritized places near Hollywood and Broadway.

'Tsk...... I don't even know his real name, so I'm at a loss.'

I don't even know what to say. Let's just start searching.

'Honestly, he's good-looking in our eyes (Asian), so he must be good-looking in their eyes (Western), right?'

Keywords such as handsome and hot guy were added. Then Kang Chang-hoon searched for something on MyTube. LA is a place where large forest fires occur periodically.

While watching the video, Kang Chang-hoon leaned his head closer to the monitor, thinking that if he kept looking for it like this, he would get caught something about Yoon Jay at least once.

"......Eh?"

He spotted Yoon Jay out of the corner of his eye.

 

"Wow, Jay -ssi. You used to do something like this?"

"What happened?"

As he stood behind the team leader and looked at the screen, other staff members slowly gathered around.

 

[Exclusive] Yoon Jay gets 'real past photos' to silence controversies about his past

Experienced workers extinguished the fire at the 'Fluttering' filming location... Yoon Jay's past photos "trending"

 

The photo shows The Captain of the Fire Brigade Unit being interviewed about fighting the wildfire, with Yoon Jay and Oliver walking behind him.

Yoon Jay's face was tanned and his firefighter's uniform was dirty, but he was easily recognizable because of his striking appearance.

The image quality was poor, and the community debated whether or not this was the real Yoon Jay, but Yoon Jay recognized himself.

"Ah."

Even though it's been a while since I quit, they found this right away. Yoon Jay's short voice caused the people around him to get excited.

"Oh my God, you're a firefighter."

"You're really good at putting out fires."

"Aren't you paid well in LA?"

Yoon Jay glanced at Han Jin-woo. Their eyes met, and Han Jin-woo drew an X in the air. This means it wasn't leaked from our side.

'It's a good thing it wasn't that incident.'

Honestly, it's only a matter of time before that incident is revealed.

I wondered if the bereaved families would be okay with me bringing up painful memories in a distant country. Although he was a little worried, he blew out a breath. What's done is done.

"But, this picture, couldn't you use something better?"

Let's just enjoy this. Anyway, <Fluttering> received more attention than expected. I expected that at least one piece of the past would be revealed.

"Why? I like this photo."

"I was still a rookie back then."

"Wow, so this happened when you were just starting?"

"Yes. They said it was the worst wildfire in LA's history, and I almost died from the effort."

Yoon Jay chuckled at the memory. He can shed the rookie label quickly because he'd proven himself, but a rookie was still a rookie. The smell of fire lingered in his nostrils for a while.

"Then! There's a lot of questions I want to ask, let's start shooting."

"Ah, yes!"

The set was busy again as the team leader organized, and Yoon Jay tried to stand in front of the camera.

 

"Hyung, we're going to post a recognition article. Is that alright?"

"Sure."

"Do you have any good photos?"

"Um......"

He just had someone take a picture of himself, and he didn't take selfies often. He didn't even use social media... Yoon Jay scrolled through his messaging app.

His father's profile picture was still a picture of him in his black firefighter uniform.

"Is this enough?"

"Wow...... Da-hyun Nuna would like that."

T/N: FYI, All this time I have used the pronoun 'He' for Lee Da-hyun because the word 'gender neutral' is always used to refer to Lee Da-hyun, and here it has been confirmed that Lee Da-hyun is a woman because Han Jin-woo called her 'Nuna'.

"The Head of Marketing Department?"

"Hyung, that Nuna really likes you. I heard she'd love to see you in uniform."

"Really?"

She was pretty blunt when I went to say hello...... Anyway, it's good to know that they work for the love of their actors, not just to make money.

Yoon Jay, who had sent the photo, began the interview.

"Oh."

"You're a photogenic, aren't you?"

The staff, who expected him to be awkward as a rookie, were impressed by his skillfulness. The team leader sat in front of him and watched with a smile on her face. She's half a fan, but Yoon Jay is better than she thought.

"Let's get started."

"Yes."

"We can't start the interview without talking about 'Fluttering', right? So, I'd like to know how you felt about taking on such an important supporting role not long after your debut and how you felt about the filming?"

"I knew that I had a big opportunity, and since I was in a position that I didn't deserve, I thought that my first priority was not to cause trouble to others."

As Yoon Jay answered, he paused every once in a while to change his posture and angle to make it easier for the photographer. The photographer gave him a thumbs-up with a satisfied look.

"And...... I needed to learn about historical dramas first."

"No way, you haven't watched any historical dramas in your life?"

"No. I've been in the U.S. and haven't had the chance to watch many Korean dramas."

"Wow, you didn't even see it on the media, and you just did your own acting?"

"I did some cramming."

Yoon Jay's performance in <Fluttering> was one of the things that won him acclaim.

He was praised for how the rookie was able to achieve such perfect historical drama-style, and for his stable pronunciation and vocalization.

"Jay -ssi, what is your interpretation of Grand Prince Muhwi?"

"He has sociopathic tendencies, a bratty kid. Aware of his faults, but unwilling to fix them. Wants to be loved, but unwilling to put in the effort to be loved. Feels like he's trying to force others to understand his values. The only person who doesn't do that is Jung Yeonhwa."

"Your interpretation about him is merciless."

That was Yoon Jay's interpretation of Grand Prince Muhwi. He briefly raised Grand Prince Muhwi's emotions. The photographer who was watching this through the aperture was startled.

"But the first thing I felt as him was frustration. He didn't start out this way, and he doesn't know why they made him this way and blamed them for everything. What is he, a wounded child who still can't get over the past?"

"I'll speak for myself, I preferred Grand Prince Muhwi to the Crown Prince."

"You like bad people then."

The cold atmosphere quickly thawed. Instead of just answering questions, Yoon Jay cracked jokes and relaxed during the interview.

"What do you want to do next? A drama or movie or something you'd like to do......"

"Any project that can start shooting quickly. The shooting schedule for dramas was shorter and faster than for movies, but I enjoyed working with great people."

He's never shot a movie before, so how does he know that? The team leader underlined this part, which she later rephrased.

"Speaking of professions...... Your past photos just popped up, right?"

"Ah, yes."

"Why did you quit? You would have been socially recognized, and in LA, I'm sure you would have been paid well."

If it weren't for the fact that he became afraid of fire, he might have had the settled life his parents wanted him to have: a job he'd had since the army, and a fulfilling one at that. Yoon Jay laughed, making a disembodied sound.

"I've never been one to stay in one place for long, and I've done a lot of jobs before became a firefighter."

"Like when you were Emma Stewart's bodyguard......?"

"Yes. I did that for a while before I was assigned to the Fire Brigade."

"So, you've had several jobs...... What else?"

"You'll have to look it up."

"Well, you're not easy to find, so I'm going to publish this interview and get some help from the netizens."

The photographer stepped back, saying there was no need to take more pictures, and the team leader stepped forward.

"It was reported that you are the half-brother of idols, Yoon Dojun and Yoon Dohwa. Jay -ssi, how did you feel when you know about them?"

"I didn't know I had half-siblings either, I just found out about my biological father's illness by chance, so I went to Korea to visit him......"

"That must have been sad."

"Yes...... I didn't realize they were idols at the time, I just thought they were social media celebrities because people were taking pictures of them."

Aside from the complications of his American family history, Yoon Jay said his half-siblings, who are still related by blood, felt disturbed if he went straight home as soon as the funeral was over.

"The twins seemed to like being with me, and I had just quit the Fire Brigade, so I didn't have anything to do. So, I thought, 'I'll stay here for a while'."

"So, you were originally planning to go back to the United States right away?"

"Yes. Thanks to the twins who took me on a tour of Korea."

"You're a good Hyung and a good Oppa. And we're lucky we got to see actor Yoon Jay."

"Thank you."

"So, why did you decide to become an actor, and what were the reasons?"

Yoon Jay stared into space for a moment. I wanted to feel the happiness I felt during the shooting of <Children> again.

Now, well, I don't know. Shooting is still fun. The sensation of erasing myself and becoming someone else is new. But there's something more primal than that......

'I didn't want to run away anymore.'

From my camera phobia, from the old voices that haunted me. Even though I've gotten over my camera phobia, I still think about it.

 

[Don't you feel sorry for him? Such a talented boy just disappeared with a broken heart. You're supposed to help him get back on his feet as if you're paying back the people who made it hard for him?]

 

Cho Yoo-kyung's words struck a chord in his heart. As Yoon Jae-hee, he had set a record that no one else could break, so why not as Yoon Jay?

I want to test my limits once again, I want to be recognized, and even if the people who hurt me in the past point their fingers at me again, it won't affect me anymore. I want to stand up and say, 'I was Yoon Jae-hee.'

"I have a reason to prove myself."

"Prove what? Like what?"

"It's a secret."

"By any chance, could you give me a sneak peek about that?"

"I'll remain keep that as a secret."

Yoon Jay smiled broadly. Ah, I should have taken a picture of this, the team leader thought wistfully.

***

Yoon Jay's agency, "He was indeed a firefighter in the past... Please refrain from speculating about his past"

Is this the weight of a rising star? Yoon Jay dismisses malicious rumors by releasing past photos

The fire extinguishing video on Fluttering's set becomes a hot topic again, "No wonder somehow he looks like an expert"

 

The Head of Marketing Department Lee Da-hyun, who caught the case, flooded the portal with positive articles, and public opinion quickly changed.

— What the fu#k, what 'works' as an 'entertainer'? What kind of crazy person wrote that sh!t?

└ Looking at it now, it looks like it has been cut out (fu#k).

└ That's because he's on the rise, you know, if someone is on the rise, there will definitely be obstacles from everywhere.

└ It says the agency collected the data, so they will sue them.

— Honestly, The news stating that Park Hyun-ah supports him is weird. What's the point of a corner commerce talking like they know anything?

└ (real)

└ The player was overheating, so I just kept an eye on it, but it's really mass madness.

└ Honestly, with that acting and that face, he deserves to be given a supporting role right away. Haha. The production team just recognized his talent.

— Wow, but how is he doing this? He's so charming. How can he change his career as a firefighter?? Bodyguard?

└ Thank you for being an actor

└ True... He'd worked so hard for his career, but all he gets is sh!t talked about by the corner commerce.

— The actor I never thought about became a hot topic Honestly, I was prepared that he wouldn't have anything good to say because he didn't want to say anything, but this is a hot topic ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

└ Firefighter uniform that I thought I would not see unless I became an actor (I'm shivering)

└ (real)

 

The overwhelming reverse viral disappeared when the past was revealed, and Yoon Jay feel like a rising star. It was an opportunity to confirm that there was a lot of real reaction.

 

— With a face like that, I think he would have been famous.

— I have a cousin in LA, I'm going to ask him.

— But even with soot like that, anyone can see that he looks like a celebrity. Haha.

 

Once Yoon Jay confirmed that he had worked as a firefighter in LA, some people couldn't stand still. They started looking for his new old photos.

 

"Yes, I had a good job."

"Did you see the article?"

"I saw it. And, even if they don't know my news, there is someone who will tell them."

He was referring to Cho Yoo-kyung. Director Lee Young-chang laughed. He had welcomed Yoon Jay's return to acting with great enthusiasm and had supported his start by watching the live broadcast of <Fluttering>.

As expected, he felt that Yoon Jay was good. Even though he had been away from acting for over 20 years, he hadn't lost his form. The talent is not going anywhere.

"I still think you're a child."

"I'll take it as compliment."

"Haha! Yes. Let's go inside."

The restaurant Yoon Jay came to was one he had been to once when he was guarding Cho Yoo-kyung.

Director Lee Young-chang had wanted to bring him here one day and feed him something delicious.

As Yoon Jay walked into the restaurant, he saw a familiar car number across the street.

'That looks like the CEO's car.'

Am I looking at the wrong car?


***

Satisfied with our translations?

Support SeiRei Translations by tipping on Ko-fi or Patreon.


***


Previous | Table of Contents | Next


***


What do you think about this chapter?