Translated: reireiss, MTLs-nim 

Edited: reireiss, Grammarly ssi 

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to keep this translation and the translators alive. 

Don't forget to leave a message that you support this novel by writing the title when tipping. 

Thanks^ ^ 


***

PLEASE!!

DON'T SHARE OR REPOST!!

***

Translator Note:

This is one of my favorite Korean novels, at first, I was reluctant to upload it because I saw that there was already a site that uploaded the MTL. But I liked this novel so much that I wanted to upload it (even though someone had already uploaded the MTL).

I apologize if you, who uploaded the MTL felt offended by my actions. I translated this novel myself (not copy-pasted from your MTL). Although I also used MTL's help in translating this novel because I'm not fluent in Korean and English.

However, if you still have objections to my actions, you can leave a comment on the blog or contact me at reireiss.dollars@gmail.com

Thank You!

***

Chapter 2 – Homecoming

"JJ, if you need a break, take a vacation. Don't give me a resignation letter."

"Captain, you've seen my resume."

"Yeah, I have. I know you can't stay in one place for long."

I remember several places trying to get me. The Captain was one of them. I mean, he brought me here after fierce competition, but then I suddenly quit.

Jay Jenkins or JJ, that's what I was called by the Captain and the crew, was a very suspicious and strange Asian guy.

Not through a racist lens, but more of a mysticism, just a literal mystic.

"Still, this is the first job I've had in over a year outside of the military."

"Huh, is that supposed to be an honor?"

The Captain grunted in disappointment.

Jay was quick on his feet, and if you taught him something, he could pick it up after one look. He was so good, in fact, that he'd earned a medal in his short service.

He was one of the Captain's favorites.

"I'm saving your spot. If you ever want to come back, let me know."

Well... Will I ever be able to come back? Reading Jay's dubious expression, the Captain frowned.

"I see you're going somewhere far away. Where this time, Chicago or Boston?"

"Korea."

"Korea? I thought you said you'd never been there except for a brief stint when you were a kid."

"I did."

Jay's life was full of change. He's never been one to settle down in one place for long, and he's been so busy moving around that he can't think about Korea.

(By any chance, are you Yoon Jae-hee?)

Until I saw the message that someone sent while checking the social media account that I had forgotten after making it roughly because of the same unit.

His father's wife, who was vague about what to call him, shared that his father was suffering from terminal cancer and that he wanted to see me.

Jay thought about it for a moment, then replied that he would come. He would be quitting his job soon anyway.

"My father says he's going to die soon. I think I should go see him."

"Father? You mean, your biological father, not Mr. Jenkins?"

"Yeah."

"I thought you were adopted."

"It's complicated."

He'd originally lived in South Korea, followed his mother to the United States when his biological parents divorced, and then his mother remarried...... It's a family history that's hard to explain.

Jay wasn't one to talk about such personal matters.

"Then, I'll get going."

Rising from his seat, Jay smiled and shook the Captain's hand. It was a wistful smile with no hint of regret.

It made the Captain look even more disappointed.

"You're only going to Korea for a little while, right? Come visit me when you get back."

"I will."

Someday, I'd like to visit......, he felt particularly attached to this place since it was a place he had worked in for the longest time after the military.

"Hey, JJ."

The Captain called back to Jay, who was opening the door with a large Boston bag slung over his shoulder.

"It's not because of you that Williams died. It was an accident."

"......I know."

Even if I know it, the fact that he died before my eyes doesn't change. Jay left the Captain's office, trying to hide his bitterness.

In the garage, the crew was gathered to play poker.

"JJ, come and play a game!"

"Oliver, I'm afraid your chances of winning money are over forever."

"Forever? You're finally quitting?"

"Yep. Goodbye, Losers."

Jay left the office with a light step that seemed like he would return to work tomorrow. Is he really quitting? The dazed crew looked at each other.

'I guess this is my last day here, too.'

Jay suddenly glanced back. The red fire truck he'd worked so hard to maintain and polish was visible beneath a sign that read in large letters.

Los Angeles Fire Department

'I wonder what I'll do next.'

But I'll have to see my biological father before that. Jay sighed as he somehow felt heavy inside.

As Jay left the fire brigade, Oliver, who was proud to be his best friend, hurriedly opened the captain's office door.

"Knock before you open the door."

"Captain, is JJ really quitting?"

"So you thought it was a prank?"

"No, he can't just leave like that!"

"He's been talking about resigning for a long time."

He did say something about not being able to stay in one place for long, and that he might look for another job someday.

It got worse after Williams, a fellow firefighter, was killed in action. It was understandable since he died in front of his eyes, but they didn't expect him to leave so quickly.

"It's not like we don't have his number, social media? I'm sure we can keep in touch with him from afar."

"Yes, we did. But, we already prepared a farewell party."

But he's already gone. Oliver grumbles and walks out, while the Captain flips through Jay's resume for the Fire Department.

Enlisted in the U.S. Army right out of high school. Spent a few years in the Navy SEALs, serving in frequent overseas operations and earning many decorations for meritorious service.

A Silver Star is nothing to sneeze at, but after leaving the military, Jay bounced around the country between jobs for as little as a week and as long as two months.

"I'm......"

Based on his fraudulent resume, he looks like an Asian stereotype, but he's not arrogant. Jay didn't talk much about himself.

"He was an enigma to the end."

The first and last private conversation they had was about his biological father. The Captain sighed and shoved the resume deep into a drawer.

***

"So, you quit the Fire Brigade, too?"

"Yeah."

Stopping by his parents' house before heading to Korea, Jay received a rousing welcome.

"Good for you. It's a dangerous job."

His mother, Maria Jenkins, beamed but his father's expression showed concern.

"Son, why don’t you just settle down now?"

"I'm comfortable living like this."

"I'll give you a place in my company if you want it. I'm sure you will adapt well quickly."

Those weren't empty words, they were sincere. Jay is smart and has a unique talent. He would have been happy if his son had settled down in one place and exercised his abilities to the end, but his son led a nomadic life and always changed his occupation.

His parents' eyes held infinite trust. Jay felt his heart fill with affection, but he didn't like it. His father, who read his expression, hurriedly added.

"Don't take that as a burden."

"I'll always be grateful to you two."

"Don't say that. Parents are supposed to have their kids' backs."

Jay raised the corner of his mouth. Even though they didn't share a drop of blood, they really did care for him like a son.

Jay's family history was a soap opera. His mother divorced his biological father and settled in America, where she met and married his stepfather, Henry Jenkins.

[Son, how should I call you?]

[My Korean name is not easy to pronounce, so just call me Jay.]

That's how Yoon Jae-hee became Jay Jenkins.

Henry loved Jay as if he were his own son, but the marriage of Henry Jenkins to Jay's biological mother, Jeong Yeonjae, didn't last long. She died in a car accident.

His stepfather met his stepmother and married. His stepmother, Maria Jenkins, had two children by her ex-husband. Jay had a stepmother and step-siblings who were not related by blood.

"Yeah, you did the right thing by going to Korea. He is your biological father, so you have to see him off for the last time."

"Yes."

"Have a good day and come back."

Jay, who was sent off by his parents with a big hug, headed to the airport.

It was a complicated family, but a good one. His step-parents treated him like a son, and he got along with his stepmother's children like siblings, so he didn't remember the awkwardness of the past.

Despite that, Jay couldn't shake the feeling that his place had been taken away from him, so he ran away to join the army.

'Maybe that's why I've never been able to settle down.'

No matter where you are, this is what you're meant to do. I was told I had a talent, but it didn't last long. Even though I was living freely, I felt empty inside.

The road to Korea was not smooth.

Due to my military experience in special operations, I've had to come to several different places, and I've even been sworn to secrecy, though I've gotten a lot of accommodations in return.

(Passengers, welcome to Incheon International Airport. After the plane came to a complete stop......)

After all the twists and turns, the airport feels unfamiliar. After retrieving his luggage and heading out the gate, Jay looked around.


"Uh, Mom. I'm here."

"Let's get something to eat before we go home."

"Crazy, did you see him? He's so handsome."


I have to get rid of the Korean-American smell first. As Jay wandered the airport, he eavesdropped on the conversations of several passersby, studying pronunciations and tones.

"Ah, ah, ah. One, two, three. Hello."

Doesn't that make you feel less like an expatriate? After a few minutes of listening, he's got the language down pat and is on his way out of the airport.

(Ah...... You've arrived in Korea.)

"What's going on?"

(That...... Can we meet in a cafe on the first floor of a funeral home, not a ward?)

"A funeral home?"

Don't tell me...... Jay hopped into a taxi and headed for the hospital.

"Hello."

"Oh, hello."

His biological father's wife, Park Hyun-ah, whom he met at the cafe, was stunned when she saw him.

The hunky man is well-proportioned and model-like. His handsome appearance is similar to his husband's, but his aura is heavy as if he had been through a lot.

He is more like a celebrity than her children, who are celebrities. He can catch the attention of people around him at once.

"Thank you for coming."

"No, you may speak at ease."

Jay glanced at Park Hyun-ah. Her eyes were puffy, but she looked resilient because his father's disease was long, and she seemed to have already prepared herself.

"I heard you grew up in the U.S. ......What should I call you?"

"Just, you know, call me Jay. And can I call you, Mother......?"

"Sure."

I thought the word mother was just a title, but it was still a little weird to call her auntie when she was my biological father's wife.

"So, my father is...... Dead."

"He passed away this morning."

Park Hyun-ah studied Jay's complicated expression.

"Did my father talk about me often?"

"He always said he was sorry for you. He always said that his family was broken because he made a big mistake."

Well, I thought I was the one who broke up the family. My father had nothing but good things to say about me, and Park Hyun-ah's expression was favorable.

"He was so happy when I told him I'd gotten in touch with you and that you'd be coming to Korea soon. He said he had something he wanted to tell you......"

"......I see."

Jay gulped down his coffee, his throat burning.

"Ma'am, is this the right box? Dojun says it's the right one......"

"It is, and thank you for giving the kids a ride, Mr. Manager."

"No, Ma'am. It's my job."

It's a man who broke the short silence, and he waved at Park Hyun-ah, who treated him kindly. There are many celebrities and family members who treat their managers as if they were their hands and feet, but these people have always been polite.

As soon as he made eye contact with Jay, he was stunned; Oh my God, who is this guy? There's a jewel yet to be discovered......

Jay glanced behind him, unaware that the manager was salivating. There were two people, a boy and a girl who looked so young as if they were students.

'They look alike.'

The siblings had a slight resemblance to each other and to himself.

'They must be...... My younger siblings.'

Their eyes are slightly puffy, probably because of our father's death.


***

Satisfied with our translations?

Support SeiRei Translations by tipping on Ko-fi or Patreon.


***


Previous | Table of Contents | Next


***


What do you think about this chapter?