Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi or Patreon to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 2 | This is What Reality Looks Like | Remake our Life! 


Part 3

"Haa... I'm bored."

As I extracted the checklist from the bundle of survey postcards and filled in the spreadsheet, I muttered such thoughts in a faintly pathetic manner.

"It's very rare for Hashiba-san to say something like that."

Squirrel Girl commented.

"Ah, I'm sorry... Unconsciously"

When I told her, she gave me a big nod,

"Well, I understand ~. We've been dealing with questionnaires all the time these days."

"I agree……"

13th Development Department. As I have said many times, it is a development department in name only.

Since I started here, I have never been involved in creating anything. The only thing I've been involved in is coming up with a way to reuse the POP that was used for sales promotion. Even then, the idea was rejected in the end.

However, so far there is no one in this department who thinks that this is a problem. This is because there is no difference in salary compared to other development staff, and except for the fact that we work in a dimly lit basement, there are many days when we can go home on time, so to speak.

(If you don't have anything in particular you want to do, it's a great environment to enjoy and get paid for it...)

It reminds me of Charaji and the Queen's actions, which are plainly repeated day after day.

There is a derogatory term used by other employees to refer to the 13th Development Department.

(Execution chamber, huh ――)

It's a term that has been likened to the number of steps on the gallows. No development, just lukewarm water, no hard work, and once you get in, you can't get out. If that's the meaning of the name, then it's a very accurate name.

However, this derogatory term is, in my opinion, too rude.

In many cases, work is a system of monetary compensation for taking on something that someone else does not want to do, something that takes time and effort.

A company like Succeedsoft, which produces entertaining works, can only exist if it has a development department, no matter what. In order to create works that entertain and make people forget their daily lives, a huge amount of manpower, effort, and skills are used to create software that is widely sold.

Supporting their daily work is the work of the 13th Development Department, which is called general affairs and general management. It may be a very simple job, but a company would not be able to exist without people who do this kind of work.

And yet, it is too bad taste to pretend to be ignorant of such a point and give it such a derogatory name.

...... Well, I was certainly disappointed when I first came here, too.

(But I have insurance and I can get a salary)

Considering my previous job where I hadn't been paid for months, I could say that my current job was dozens of times better, even if it was a boring, yawn-inducing routine.

"Just like this, you think you want to work here forever?"

She is working on her fifth revision of the data today, and I kind of ask her about it.

"Eh, am I going to get fired for failing too much!?"

She's got a lot of crazy ideas.

Well, if someone asks me this out of the blue, I guess I can't help but wonder if it's meant to be some kind of hint.

"I don't have the authority to do that. Besides, it's not like you're doing anything that could get you fired..."

Well, if you're so bad at remembering things, you might have to rearrange things to be more efficient, but that's another story.

"I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about whether you want to be in the 13th division."

"Ah... is that what you mean?"

She stopped her work and hm~m.

"Of course, I also want to go for proper development. But... I guess it's already difficult for me."

"Difficult?"

When I asked her back, she laughed,

"Maybe I'm not suited to making games in the first place that’s what I thought."

Scratching her head, she opened the largest drawer of her desk.

There were three huge files packed tightly together in there.

"What is this...?"

I asked her, and she giggled in embarrassment,

"It's a project. A game."

She took out the heavy file and placed it on her desk.

"At the end of every meeting, we always ask if there are any plans, don’t we."

"Yeah, that's right."

"It's a rule that the development department must do that. It was the founder's intention that anyone who came up with a good plan would be able to work as a planner."

That in itself was a very good thing, I thought.

It's very open-ended that any employee can get an opportunity.

"That's why I've been coming up with plans ever since I joined the company."

"Maybe it's in this file... that?"

She replied with a small "yes" to my question.

It wasn't half incomplete set. I don't know how it was stored in the file, but it seemed to be at least three digits.

I was naturally curious about the project.

"...Can I see this?"

But she shook her head as hard as she could,

"Y-Y-Y-You can't look at that!"

"Why? Isn't that the plan you put so much thought into, right?"

"That's true, but that..."

She glanced over at the file, as if she couldn't bring herself to say it,

"I'm sure Hashiba-san will be bored."

"Bored? Why?"

"I can't bring myself to say it, but it's either rubbish or weird..."

When you say that much, conversely, it makes me interested.

"Don't worry, I won't laugh or get bored."

"...Really?"

Squirrel Girl looked up at me fearfully.

"Then, that... Sorry to trouble you."

She pushed the bundle of files toward me with both hands.

"Don't regret it."

"I won't. I'll be fine "

Why do you say that much, I replied with a chuckle and opened the file.

I heard a flipping sound and the sound of the attached plastic being peeled off, and I saw the first project.


Previous | Table of Content | Next