Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translation and the translators keep alive. Thank you

Chapter 2 | I'm Worried | Remake our Life!

Part 2

"So you're saying that Minori-chan is avoiding you, Kyouya-kun?"

"No, that's not the case... is I'd like to think"

When I told Shinoaki about what I've been up to since the other day, her words came out more straightforward than I expected. Well, of course, she didn't have any bad intentions.

"By any chance, maybe she doesn't like men very much, as compared to Kyouya-kun."

Shinoaki tilted her head and gave me a new opinion.

(Indeed, there was a sense that she was concerned about someone's behavior.)

Judging from what she said when we met at her studio, she might have been pressured in some way.

"So, I think Minori-chan will be able to talk to you normally once she gets used to you. Maybe she's just shy?"

"I hope so."

I think Shinoaki has a point, so I'll keep an eye on the development, including that hope. But if that's the case, her past seems to be a bit heavy...

While I was pondering about Saikawa, the door of the classroom opened and the teacher walked in.

"Let's get started. We're going to show the animation skills in order, since we're reviewing them today."

Today, my second period class was a major course in the Department of Visual Arts.

In the department, the first and second-year students are taught everything about the video, including practical skills, as a basic learning period.

Animation practice was one of them. We were taught the basics of animation in the classroom, and at some points, we had to actually make the animation and show it. Today was the day of the screening.

"Haa... Honestly, it's hard to be shown something you're not sure about."

Though I had done some original drawing and coloring, I was not skilled enough to draw a picture from scratch.

"That's why we study, it can't be helped"

The girl smiling next to me must be making something really good, of course. That must be why she was so relaxed.

Then the screening began.

I'll stop talking about my work now. Anyway, the teacher said "You ran away" at me for drawing inorganic objects such as boxes and books in close-up, and for not drawing the whole body of a person, even though the assignment was to draw a person. I'll just note that the teacher laughed at me.

The work that shook all the students in the class was shown three screenings after mine.

"Next is ... Shino Aki's work. The title is "Guru Guru", huh?" (Note: going around in circles)

After the teacher's comments, the hall went dark and Shinoaki's work began.

The composition was simple. A human being appeared on the screen, and the camera went "round and round" around him, just as the title suggests.

But there were other points that were frightening. The lead character's journey from baby to child to adult to old man was portrayed at a high speed and in a natural way, with careful attention paid to the use of close-up and close-down camera work at key points.

What caught my attention above all was the power of the depiction. Even though it was a black-and-white animation, the shadows were properly cast and the drawing was flawless. For me, who has been watching Shinoaki's drawings for a long time, it was a natural level, but for the students who saw it for the first time, it seemed to be quite a shock, and the place was in a state of excitement during the screening.

After the screening. The classrooms were lit up and bright, and the teacher said.

"Is Shino that, has an older brother or older sister who is an animator?"

It made me laugh, but I think it was the best kind of compliment.

So, in the first animation practical assignment, Shinoaki received a special A grade.

"Animation takes time, doesn't it? It's tough."

At the end of the class, Shinoaki said so and took a breath.

"Even so, it's amazing that you managed to finish it. I'm impressed that Shinoaki can make an anime as well."

To be honest, I was happy to see such a powerful work of art, as she hadn't felt like she was having much fun with anything recently.

Perhaps the anime is the clue that will stimulate Shinoaki's motivation... That's what it seemed like to me.

"Yeah... I guess I could have done it in class."

When I asked her about it, I found out that it was short-lived elation.

"I think it's better to draw a single picture. It's better if you can imagine the story before and after it."

I felt the same way.

Shinoaki's drawings have a story. It may sound cheesy to write it like this, but there are so many works that make me want to think about the time before and after the drawing.

That's why animation that depicts the before and after of the story well may be seen as "something different" in her mind.

"I see, but what Shinoaki made was interesting."

"Yeah, thank you"

While she smiled and replied, Shinoaki still looked somewhat lonely and seemed unable to make a clue within herself.

Where is the thing that will make her "serious"?

The search for it was going to continue.

The next class, I was taking a different one from Shinoaki, so we parted ways in front of the classroom.

"What do you want for dinner? I'll go to the store after class."

"Hmm, can you make me a hamburger, then?"

"Okay. I'll get it ready for you."

Nodding, Shinoaki jumped up and down on the spot,

"Yatta! Kyouya-kun's hamburgers are delicious, I'm looking forward to it~"

Then she said, "See you ~" and cheerfully left for her next class.

As I watched her go, I remembered the life I used to have with her.

(You're getting better at cooking, aren't you... Shinoaki)

In this world, I'm a better cook than her, but in the future, it's reversed. I was reminded of how different things can be after ten years of passing through different branches.

Humans are not so different in capacity. When one thing has dominance over an area, other things naturally get neglected.

Most of Shinoaki's mind was occupied by pictures, but now that they are gone, she has other things to think about, such as cooking and child.

"At this rate, it looks like she won't have much time for cooking for the time being."

She still forgets to measure the amount of hot water for ramen.

"Hashiba!"

Suddenly, a voice called out from behind me and I turned around.

There stood Kuroda, looking as if he hadn't lost his excitement.

"Hey, did you see Shino's work in class?"

"Oh, yeah, of course"

"It was amazing. There was no other work that was so well-drawn, had such a unique design, and had such detailed gestures and expressions. It was a complete head-scratcher compared to the others~!"

In a rather excited tone of voice, Kuroda rambled on.

It was a little surprising. When we had talked about the works they had made before, he seemed to be somewhat cold, or even extremely objective.

But now he was praising Shinoaki's work with such fervor that he almost forgot himself.

"Shino's going to go into animation, right? With all that talent, I'm sure she'll go that way, I mean, of course she will!"

"Hmm, but I don't think Shinoaki will go into the anime industry at the moment."

"Haa? Seriously, why?"

A look of surprise crossed his face.

Well, maybe right after being shown something of that caliber.

"She's never really been interested in anime, to begin with."

I told Kuroda what she had just told me.

He listened to me with a serious expression on his face, though it might be rude to say it was out of character.

And in a terribly calm tone,

"That's because Shino doesn't have a sense of composition or editing yet."

"Composition or editing?"

"That's right. There are some images that make you aware of the time before and after them, and there are others that are nothing but a waste of time. So, if she gets to know works that are moving but not useless, maybe she'll get interested in animation, won't she?"

"May... be"

Indeed, as I was told, there were no surprises at the beginning or catharsis at the end of the story in Shinoaki's work. It was unremarkable due to its overwhelming power as a video, but I couldn't deny that it lacked cohesion.

"If she can watch the sophisticated videos carefully while analyzing them, she will be... Hihi, Shino's consciousness might change completely."

"If so, it would be interesting."

As I answered, I was a little shocked.

Up until now, my approach was to find out what Shinoaki wanted to do and what she was interested in, and then to support her in whatever she indicated.

However, Kuroda was different. He was thinking about Shinoaki's aptitude, but he was also focusing on what she could do to make her interested in it.

I wonder if this is a more assertive view of production. However, it does not impose, but rather derives its proposals from analysis and research. It was a perspective that I did not have.

I wondered where this rough-talking, crass person hid his calm judgment. I was clearly more interested in this man than before.

He may be a more decent guy than the impression I got.

"I'd like to work with Shino on something someday."

"Eh?"

"It's okay, right? It's not like Shino is the property of the team, so if she is interested, she is free to pursue it, right?"

The words were rather challenging, but Kuroda's eyes were shining brightly in a good way. I could feel from every word that he had found something new and could not stand still.

"...You're right, it's not up to me to decide."

"Right! Ah, then, for the time being, I've got some clay animations and short animations that I like, can I introduce them to her?"

"That's not something I can restrict her from doing."

Just then, a chime rang. It was the bell for the start of class.

"Oh, then I'm going to the next class, so I'm going!"

"Y-Yeah"

Kuroda ran to the other classrooms with his usual hailing attitude.

"By the way, I forgot to thank him for the earlier work..."

Well, it seems to me that he didn't particularly need it.

Previous | Table of Contents | Next