26, The Reason For Hatred



Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna
Source: Syosetu

Support us on Ko-Fi to make this translations and the translators keep alive. Thank you


"...Yo"

 As Kai stared straight at me, I said one word.

"I'm not going to have a long talk with you.... I have one thing to say."

 Kai said, staring at me with bloodshot eyes.
 I can pretty much guess what it is, but I'll at least listen.

"What?"

"Swear you'll break up with Touka"

 I knew that was it.

"Why? Would it bother you if I was going out with Touka? ...Kai, are you in love with Touka?"

 I asked, without answering Kai's question.
 Then, after biting his lips tightly, Kai answered.

"I told you, I was watching you rampage last year."

"Ah, that's right."

"... I, at that time. All I could do was watch. There are many people who have been injured by you and have fallen.... Yes, I was so terrified that I couldn't take a step away from the scene and just watched. "

 Kai clenched his fists tightly.
 His face was filled with regret.

"I still dream about those people whose names I don't even know, who I couldn't save. I still see in my dreams the faces of those who suffered from violence and were oppressed. I hated myself for my powerlessness and lack of courage. ...... Honestly, I'm still scared. Having a bastard like you in front of me."

 After saying that, Kai glared at me.
 ...... I hadn't noticed it before, but there was definitely a hint of fear and trepidation behind those eyes.

"Even so! Even if I'm scared or powerless! I can't overlook you anymore! I don't want to see that innocent Touka lose her smile! ......I don't want to live another day of regret"

 Kai Rekka.
 This is definitely a man with a bad habit of rushing into things and making assumptions without listening to others.
 But. From what I've heard, this guy is a witness to my "last year's incident". If that's the case, this unusual rejection is understandable.

 If he has been there and he has seen it.
 As I was rampaging, the people around me stopped me, not caring about the danger.

 It must have looked like that.
 I didn't have a clue what I was doing at the time either... 

 If that is the case. This guy is undoubtedly a "righteous man" who believes in his own justice and pushes forward.

"I just want to make sure"

 At my words, Kai urges me to go on.

"Why did you come here alone?"

 After entering the rooftop, I looked around and searched for any signs of life, but it seemed that Kai was the only one here.

 If he thinks I'm so dangerous, why didn't he bring his comrades with him?
 I didn't understand it.

"It's obvious. Even if I had the numbers, I'm sure I'd be no match for you. It will only increase the number of useless victims.... I don't care what happens to me. If you don't back off from Touka after I talk to you... I'll be your opponent even if I’ll die."

 It was a determined look in his eyes.
 If we get into a fight, he said, he might really risk his life to come at me.
 It was impressive enough to make me think so.

 If possible, I wanted this man to go straight to the path of righteousness without worrying about me.

 But I can't say that.

"I see. I understand what you mean."

"... Then swear to me that you'll break up with Touka!"

 Kai shouted in a deep voice.
 I guess he's really stressed out about having to face me.

"I can't. I'm Touka's boyfriend."

 I said a few words.
 Then the expression disappeared from Kai's face.

"I knew it from the beginning.... I knew that Touka didn't like you."

 ...... I guess you're right.
 We're fake lovers, Touka doesn't really like me.

"You're the one who's taking the weakness and forcing Touka to do what you want, aren't you? ...I shouldn't have told Touka to break up with you. It would only make her suffer. I should've talked to you from the beginning."

 ......This one was a big miss.
 If anything, Kai would never believe that Touka was trying to do such a thing.

 Kai, with his bloodthirst.
 I kept him in my sight... I noticed the sound of one person's footsteps heading towards the roof.

 Kai said, blatantly flustered.

"No way... you!"

 I guess he can hear these footsteps, too.
 Seeing the expression on his face, I despair inwardly at how bad the timing is.

 The footsteps stopped in front of the door...

Kerchak

"Ah, senpai! You were here after all! Mou, I've been looking for you! ...Eh?"

 The one who appeared was none other than Touka.
 She brought me into view and then noticed that Kai was also with us and looked anxious. 

 Me, Touka, and Kai.
 It was as if the time of the three of us had stopped all together, and no one spoke up.

 ...... In such a situation, Kai was the first one to open his mouth.

"...You got Touka involved. You, COWAAAAAAAAAAAARD!!!!!"

 Kai let out a low scream filled with hatred that could be mistaken for a resentful voice echoing from hell.

 At the sound of his voice, Touka looked clearly frightened.

 ...... He must have mistakenly thought that I had called Touka as a "hostage".
 As I thought, we couldn't talk it out.


 It can't be helped if it comes to this.
 With that in mind, I clenched my karate fist.