Chapter 1 We Make Games


Translated: Sei, MTL-sensei-tachi
Edited: Sei, Grammarly no Danna


Part 1

Saturday, December 16th.

On a weekend morning when the campus was about to enter the winter break, I gathered everyone from Share House Kitayama in my living room.

I had already told the two girls that it would be difficult for Tsurayuki to tell them what it was for, as for the important thing to do, I hadn't talked about it.

Shinoaki, Nanako, and Tsurayuki. Three people were all in the kotatsu, looking at me.

As I looked around at their faces, I opened my mouth.

"I think we should make a doujin game together"

I was determined to say this, but everyone's reaction was indifferent.

"That doujin game... what is it?"

Nanako said something that seemed to require an explanation from the premise.

"It's not something you put out as a product, but an indie game that is sold at events like Comima... right, Kyoya?"

Tsurayuki explained. From the way he said it, it sounds like he knew it as a level of knowledge.

"Yes, that recognition is right."

 "He~e, I didn't know they did that in games. I’ve heard if it is music, though."

Nanako said, impressed.

"Games aren't just about playing. I didn't know that you could make them."

 Shinoaki didn't seem to realize that she would be creating the game yet.

"That's it. Can we really make it? I just knew about the existence of doujin games."

 "You're right, I have no idea how to make it either."

Both Nanako and Tsurayuki seemed to feel the same way.

"I'll cover that, so it's okay. Rest assured."

But that was the point where I could follow everything.

To be honest, I'm much more confident than we were made our first video assignment.

"Speaking of games, for example, there are actions like Super Maruo, and there are RPG game like DraQue*, but this time we are not making that." (* Dragon Quest)

I was told that Keiko-san was an excellent programmer, but when it came to creating a complex game system, production management would be a challenge.

"What kind of game is it?"

To Shinoaki's question,

"There is a genre called... visual novel"

A visual novel is a game genre that has been an explosive hit due to its clear mechanism as a game and the ease of use of production tools since it first appeared in the latter half of the 0's.

This is ideal for works such as like, where you want to let the reader read the scenario and see the power of the illustrations. In fact, even in the doujin game industry, visual novels boasted a considerable number.

Ten years later, I was working on a visual novel. Therefore, I knew more than a little about how to manage production. Considering the risks involved, the choice was a natural one.

"Above all, visual novels are a genre in which Tsurayuki excels. That's why I chose this genre."

If you just want to make money, it would be better to look for a high-paying job. But this time, I want Tsurayuki to earn his own money. In order to make that premise, I thought that the choice of a game genre centered on scenarios was the best solution.

Next, I explained the part who is in charge.

"As I said, I would like to ask Tsurayuki for a scenario. I want Nanako to do the music. I want Shinoaki to be in charge of all the illustrations. I'll be the director of the project."

One of the advantages of visual novels is that they can be produced with a small staff. If there is a resident staff in the important part, at least one or two people can produce it. This time, we had a slight advantage in that we had members who specialized in each field.

It was as if the role had been decided from the beginning, and everyone seemed to have an idea of what they would be asked to do when I was asked to talk about it. Therefore, the conversation was decided quickly.

"Okay, so let's start talking about the specifics of the project. What we're going to make is-"

I was about to say something, but Nanako stopped me.

"W-wait a minute, Kyoya. Even if the game is made, is it really something that can be sold for money?"

She asked without hiding her anxious expression.

"I think it's very risky for us amateurs to make and sell games when we need to make a lot of money in a short time. But let me hear it, why Kyoya is so confident."

"I honestly think I'm insecure too, but because Kyoya said it so confidently..."

On the way back to the hospital, I had already told Tsurayuki about my plan, but he looked even more worried than Nanako did now.

"I'd like to hear it too. I'd like to hear what Kyoya is thinking and will be doing?"

Shinoaki was also in the mood to ask a lot of questions.

For the three of them, it's impossible to have the feeling that something made by a group of amateurs will sell so well...

Well, I guess it can't be helped.

If I were in a situation like this and the solution was to "make a game together," I would listen until I was satisfied.

"Okay, I'll explain exactly how we make money."

Previous Table of Content Next